What do you think of Mexico as a country, along with the people?

As a American being in a relationship with Mexican woman who took me to her family's hometown (in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico), I think Mexico is not anywhere near as dangerous as the US media makes it out to be. I mean yeah, Mexico is definitely far from perfect but it's not really that bad.

Here a photo of what the houses or neighborhoods in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico normally look like.
They're not even half bad. As for my Mexican girlfriend and her family, none of the men in her family are chauvanistic woman beaters or rapists like many Americans make them out to be. They're all nice and friendly gentlemen and treats me like a family already since they have gotten to know me better.

• I think it's a beautiful country with it's own unique culture and very friendly people.
  • I think it's actually dangerous as the media makes them out to be. The people don't seem too friendly and the majority of the Mexican men abuse their women.
  • I think it's a dangerous country but the people are still friendly.
  • Others (explain)
  • I have no opinion of Mexico and it's people.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's true, Mexico is in a very dangerous state... the cartels are pretty much running things right now, which would explain the rise in prices of certain produce. I do have some family over there, and they are lovely people, with a lot of love in their hearts and Mexico itself is very beautiful; however, if American people do choose to vacation in Mexico, it is NOT a good idea to roam around freely. Stay in the resort, and don't wander off. I had a family member who was with his family in Mexico, and a car pulled up, men came out with guns, and pointed them at him and his family and said "My boss likes your daughter, give her to us." And she hasn't been seen since. Although it's true that Mexico is dangerous, so are most foreign countries. America really is pretty safe considering what else is out there...

What Girls Said 4

• Maybe nice place, but too much drug traffic, mafia, cartels and lot of kidnappings etc. And sometime these drug groups openly battling with law enforcement, as well as each other, American visitors are sometimes among the victims of this violence. For me, it's still very dangerous country :/

• I don't know about danger, but their food is really good. The experience might have been better for you since you had the luxury of a local showing you around.

The house you took almost looks like a lot of houses I've seen when I lived in southeast asia.

• Mexico is dangerous, I was shot at and almost raped in Mexico. I live in LA, and have Mexican friends, but the country of Mexico is extremely corrupt and run by criminals.

• The Mexican people are very nice, it's just their government is horrible and run by criminals which makes the whole country look bad.

• I don't have an opinion on Mexico, but the Mexican people I know are nice :)
    And I love Mexican food!

What Guys Said 13

• haha that house you showed a picture of is in the absolute minority of homes in Mexico so please don't even believe that it is somehow a very wealthy country. The median income $4500 (USD).

All that said. I've spent a good amount of time in Mexico. It is a beautiful country with largely very friendly people. There is of course a large drug cartel there that makes aspects of traveling there dangerous but overall it is a safe, friendly, beautiful, culturally rich country.

• Well, it's not just American media, it's actual statistics and studies that prove that Mexico is a dangerous country, you most likely went to the good part, but tell the people in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico City or Tijuana if Mexico isn't dangerous.
    Many Mexicans are pretty friendly and good people, but there are also many that aren't.
    Mexico is dangerous, that's the real truth.

• I wouldn't want to live there permanantly, but I'd love to visit Cabo, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and Baja California. Cause I live in San Francisco, I've met a lot of people of Mexican descent. They're like people of other ethnicity... there's the good, the bad and the ugly.

• dunno if they r dangerous or not but i like some of their food... today i had mexican rice and it's da best type of rice in my opinion :D

• it isn't dangerous at all if you dont get in their business here in jalisco people get killed all the time but people only people known to be in the drug business, here in jalisco its the opposite they actually create jobs, scare of thiefs and donate to local music bands for the many festivals that take place.
    a school mate of mine and another lad where caught by the cartels stealing expensive valuables one ended up with 3rd degree burns in his feets and the other had his arm broken in three different parts. but if your a mind your own business there's nothing to be afraid of.

• Under the right leadership Mexico could easily become one of the more successful countries in central+south america. However that won't happen until their entire government changes and they stop flooding into America.

• It's a wonderful country and the people in general are amazing. It's unfortunate though that their government does a piss poor job in dealing with those evil drug cartels.

• they're cool the country is dangerous, but MOST people are really friendly. The only time I have ever disliked Mexico/Mexicans is when I'm playing fifa against them or playing soccer ahaha.

Also their females are some of the prettiest I've ever met/seen like damn haha

• Mexico is a country where organized crimes runs police departments out of town, armed with rocket launchers, armored personal carriers, hand grenades, and automatic weapons.

I say, secure the border and let that "culture" stay in Mexico.

• If you just look at the average Mexican family, they are incredibly friendly and caring people. The state itself is a mess though.

• With the commotion going on. Mexico has a rich culture and history. The down side is it's corruption. Evey country has its drawbacks. It all comes down to just to respect their dignity. Understanding their language is another matter.

No, I have never been there. Just tried to piece together what I have learned over the years.

• I got really bad food poisoning last time I went so I haven't been interested in going back since.

• Yea some areas are just horrible, last place on earth u wanna go to. But other places to a calm and the people live good lives. So it really depends what part of Mexico u go to