As a American being in a relationship with Mexican woman who took me to her family's hometown (in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico), I think Mexico is not anywhere near as dangerous as the US media makes it out to be. I mean yeah, Mexico is definitely far from perfect but it's not really that bad.
Here a photo of what the houses or neighborhoods in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico normally look like.
They're not even half bad. As for my Mexican girlfriend and her family, none of the men in her family are chauvanistic woman beaters or rapists like many Americans make them out to be. They're all nice and friendly gentlemen and treats me like a family already since they have gotten to know me better.
- I think it's a beautiful country with it's own unique culture and very friendly people.50% (3)12% (2)22% (5)Vote
- I think it's actually dangerous as the media makes them out to be. The people don't seem too friendly and the majority of the Mexican men abuse their women.0% (0)12% (2)9% (2)Vote
- I think it's a dangerous country but the people are still friendly.17% (1)59% (10)48% (11)Vote
- Others (explain)33% (2)12% (2)17% (4)Vote
- I have no opinion of Mexico and it's people.0% (0)5% (1)4% (1)Vote
Most Helpful Girl
It's true, Mexico is in a very dangerous state... the cartels are pretty much running things right now, which would explain the rise in prices of certain produce. I do have some family over there, and they are lovely people, with a lot of love in their hearts and Mexico itself is very beautiful; however, if American people do choose to vacation in Mexico, it is NOT a good idea to roam around freely. Stay in the resort, and don't wander off. I had a family member who was with his family in Mexico, and a car pulled up, men came out with guns, and pointed them at him and his family and said "My boss likes your daughter, give her to us." And she hasn't been seen since. Although it's true that Mexico is dangerous, so are most foreign countries. America really is pretty safe considering what else is out there...0