Would you marry someone of a different religion?

I would if we wouldn't have kids.

• Yes!
  • No!
  • Only if they don't want to have kids. :)
  • Other.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, I don't have a problem with it. Our biggest common bond would be that we are good people, and I think that can be achieved and respected in mixed religion marriages.

• till the moral conflicts start.

• @kiler1000 Actually, people can have very similar morals without belonging to the same religion. But I understand that for some people (both believers and "non-believers" alike), they might see it as too great a chasm. I don't feel that way, though. I think people can have very similar core values and respect each other.

What Guys Said 38

• No, I wouldn't, I love my religion and it's the most important thing in my life, being Muslim is the biggest thing which I'm blessed with and proud of and I really take my religion very seriously, so with that being said, I will only marry a Muslim girl because I want:

- someone I can share the love of my religion with.
    - someone I can fast Ramadan with.
    - someone who will wake me up to pray fajr and will pray with me
    - someone who will remind me if I forget to do something that has to do with my religion.
    -someone who will warn me and point out if I did something against the teachings of my religion
    -someone who I can bring my children up with according to the Islamic values
    - someone who will help me to teach my children the Quran
    - etc etc

Even though we Muslim men are allowed to marry Christian or Jewish girls, it's not prohibited as some people might think, but still I will follow the advice of the holy prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him), he said: "A woman is married for four (things): her property, her good ancestry, her beauty and her religion. Behold! Obtain the religious woman, lest you would lose (good)!” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]"

Plus, when I have awesome girls in my religion like @arabianpwincess197 @chocolateismylover @hazal21 @daniamq @complicated_soul @rima2000 @bumblesuperbee and many many more, do I need to look any further? No I don't lol :p

• Ooh. That put me off of Muslims even more. Now I don't even want to date one.

-A Muslim man can marry out but a Muslim woman can't or she becomes whatever religion the man is? Sounds biased.
      -A woman is married for lineage, her looks, who she worships, and what she owns but not for herself?

Sounds very unequal and unfair.

• @chocolateismylover well, I have to admit, that was a very wise choice lol, unfortunately I wasted all Ramadan here, I feel so bad for that

Eid Mubarak to you as well :)

• I wasn't productive at all so i feel bad too :/

• To be honest, I most likely wouldn't. I'm somewhat open to it, but my faith is very important to me. I would strongly prefer to date and marry someone who believes the same things that I do.

• I am Pagan, which to me is a way of life rather than a religion. I tolerate any religion as long as the followers are true to their beliefs. I would marry a girl of any religion on the understanding that our marriage and children come first before anything else. The children would have to be brought up in the same way as my sister and I, and that is we were given the knowledge and tools to chose our own religion/way of life when we were old enough to make the decision. One further thing, I would not put my partner under pressure to convert to my way of life as far as celebrating Pagan rituals are concerned. By the same token, I don't accept any pressure to convert to some other way of life.

• I agree. Except I would feel like a failure if my children didn't choose the Christian path. I wouldn't manipulate them... but it would hurt to think that they're not getting into Heaven. So I think it's best for me and my mate not to have any if he's a different religion.

• I didn't say it was confined to Christianity. But in Christianity there is one path to get to it. For other religions, they have different paths. And not all Heavens are depicted as the same. I needed to clarify that.

• No probs! Take care, stay safe!

• I'd prefer to date someone nonreligious but I've dated a couple girls who believe in a higher power (s). Too many rituals and traditions would turn me off though.

• Depends on how different their religion is than mine. If they were like a Muslim, I would likely not marry them. Not because I have anything against Muslims, I don't, but it would cause a LOT of problems between our families.

I would however marry a Jew or an atheist as long as they didn't expect me to drop my beliefs for theirs.

• My brother is going to morocco soon and his friends family want him to marry in!
    But it would require him to convert to Islam, which he says he has no problem with

• Awwh that's sweet. So has he been meaning to revert for a while?

• he says he will convert if i convert with him! lol! but thats a big decision, so i asked him when he comes back to tell me how it went, i also need to do more of my own research, its a big commitment and not something that one should just hastily convert to

• Of course if i love that person and she is not an atheist, it's ok.. but i have a preference for my religion

• Why are you racist?

• LMAO. Are you an idiot? You DO know that being Muslim--which is a member of Islam--is NOT a race? And that many races are members of Islam?

• You can be discriminatory to them though. That is what some people are to Muslims nowadays

• Exactly. But racist and discriminatory are not interchangeable. You can stereotype about anything... that doesn't mean you're a racist. But a racist is going to be discriminatory.

• I am very religious, but also pagan. If she wouldn't feel the need to "save me" we'd get along fine. My religion holds the possibility of many gods and hers would just be one of the many to me. I think the conflict would be on her end.

• As an atheist, they either have to be atheist, agnostic or a non-practicing Christian. A person who is very religious may cause too many stir-ups.

• I don't think I would... I am agnostic and it is important for me that our kids are raised secular.

• Not a big chance i will marry someone who isn't christian

• Sure, why not? Love is love. I have my own tastes, but that's another matter. It wouldn't impact my feelings for someone.

• I haven't one, but I'm not opposed to dating a person that is religious. Doesn't really bother me unless they are quite fundamental about it, but they wouldn't want me then anyway.

• I wouldn't have a problem showing them their religion since I can create belief and am the maker of organized thought. (That's religion)

• I vote E: Yes. (the lack of an explanation point and use of a period is important)

I would do so, but not necessarily enthusiastically and with no questions asked. I would want to know if she expects me to convert. I would want to know what she thinks of my views.

• only if they didn´t expect me to change confession or raise the kids in her confession.

• Im protestant and I could Jewish or Catholic but not much else

• Yeah but not atheists but from other relgions then yeah of course

• Congratulations for the downvote 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

• she would have to come over time my religion.

• Yes, but only if they respect my decision to be an atheist and they're not super religious,

• Yes, as long as they were fine with not raising the kids to be their religion.

I don't want to raise my kids atheist either, so don't think I'm saying, "my religion/lack of religion is better than yours", I want my kids to think for themselves, not just regurgitate whatever their parents believe.

• If she believes in one of 3 holy religion, yeah i would

• As long as she's not religious. Because I hate people who guides their lives by religion.

• People have a different take on what I feel religious is. I'm religious. I'm a member of a religion. But I'm not going to impose on other people.

• Maybe my hate's reason is i had enough shit of religious people.

• I don't care about religion. It's all a big bullsh*t

• I'm not sure. Sensitive topic. I depends on how much they would handle your opinion on their religion in terms of accepting or disliking. Obviously if they disliked my views on their religion, then I wouldn't be with them in the first place. If I didn't have a problem with their religion, then by all means I'd consider them full time in my life.

• Tbh no because my religion is very important to me and I want my children to be raised the same way too and I want them to walk with my God. I have nothing against others religions or athiests though being friends as I have friends of a lot of religions and athiests, just I couldn't marry one unless they truly wanted to leave and truly follow my religion along with our kids.

• Why not The religion important of course but İs everyone believe got?

• Because I would feel like a failure if the child grew up and chose a different path. I would feel that they wouldn't get into Heaven (knowing the possibility that it doesn't exist but if so...) if they didn't believe or believed in something completely different.

So only if he wants no children.

• I just made it easy. No kids... LOL. :D

• Hahaha yes I agree

• Nnnnnnnnnnno. We would eventually bicker anyways.

• I'm an atheist, I expect I could marry/be with someone who is mildly religious, but not a full on bible thumper (or the equivalent for other religions) - that just wouldn't work out as we wouldn't see eye to eye on anything.

• More from Guys
    8

What Girls Said 34

• No, I would not. Religion just includes way too many factors that I feel would cause tension in the relationship if my partner did not share the same religion, beliefs, and values as me. It would especially become difficult if kids were involved and then of course, holidays and traditional ceremonies as well. I would want my parter to participate in those things with me concerning my own religion.

I do know some couples who follow different religions/faiths and are able to make it work and have a successful relationship. It just depends on the person and I don't think it would work for me.

• Only if they weren't too passionate about it. But I'd rather someone with no religion/atheist, it'd be easier I believe.

• :/ I don't know about that one! That's a really hard choice to make. If the guy was absolutely amazing, an outstanding human being, and fulfilled my greatest dreams then I would probably try to find some way to make it work or at least explore options. However, it's really important for me to honor my religion and teach it to my children so... I don't know how the heck that would work out!

• No. I would not because I love my religion and I want someone who shares my love for it. Someone who I can wake up with and fast, someone who leads me in prayers and someone who I can have kids with

• Yes, only if they didn't try to instill their beliefs on me.

That would make me offended and create problems in our relationship.

I would want someone who respected my beliefs as much as I did theirs.

• I would marry them if they were of a different religion, but not if they were atheist or agnostic. I don't plan on having children so differences in faith wouldn't affect that situation. XD

• No, religion is important to me. I would like to practice it with him, so we can be even more closer.

• Yes, why not? :) But there's a difference between having a religion and being religious... I would never marry a religious person, not even if he has the same religion as me, because I'm not a believer. Religious people just pick fights with each other and that's why there are so many conflicts in the world.

• I don't agree with what you said--I'm religious and I don't pick fights for no reason. But I get what you mean.

• I'm sorry, didn't mean it like that :) meant that a lot of the conflicts in the world are started because of religious differences, but it came out wrong in writing :)

• Opposite religions... how will we raise our kids? I doubt it will work well for me.

• That depends if you even want kids with that persn. I wouldn't if I were in love with someone of a different religion.

• Yes, I'm in a marriage with someone who is a Believer, and I'm an atheist. It works out very well. He doesn't get all preachy with me about what he believes and I don't criticize him for it. This is the respect part in relationships that comes in really handy when you're in love with someone and willing to do what it takes to make it work. :)

• I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. It's kind of hard with kids. I grew up in a 2 religion household. It can get tense.

• See? That's another thing... I don't know how it was for you, but I can just guess how it would be like and what that would feel like for the kids.

That's why I said no kids.. lol. If he doesn't do the same things as me, that's fine. But kids are a whole different situation.

• Yeah. My mom is Christian and my (step) dad is Jehovahs Witness. They don't celebrate anything. Birthdays or anniversaries included. My mom compromised and gave up most holidays but she wouldn't cave for birthdays. My dad didn't want us to celebrate anything. My mom decorated the window when I graduated hs and my dad flew off the handle.

• Yes, if they are similarly irreligious. Religion is personal and being an atheist, irrelevant to me.

• No way! Lol. I would never marry someone with a different religion. I honestly don't know I I would date one😕. I'm the type that would date in hope of getting married one day, not just for fun. If we got married our kids would be conflicted as to what to believe, and I wouldn't let my kids to miss out on heaven for anyone.

• I believe in God but I'm so what religious... Sooooo... It does no matter... If I marry someone in the future is because I love that person... Not for what he believes or not...

• Depends how seriously you take your religion. If it isn't a big part of your life, I'm sure you wouldn't mind.
    But if its close to your heart, then you have certain goals in life, and having a partner with similar goals is important.

• I prefer someone of the same religion. I look into the long term and sharing the same religious values means one less thing to worry about, especially when kids enter the picture.

• I'm an atheist, so I avoid dating people who are too religious

• I would not mind. I would.

• Yeah, I mean as long as there's understanding and respect.

• I prefer a non-religious mate but a spiritual one.

• no. I only say this because you need to have a LOT in common with your wife/husband. That includes religion.

Take it from someone who every single couple in my family has been divorced.

• Yes, I would. I love the person, not his love for religion.
    The only downside is that I've always dreamt of a traditional Catholic wedding.

• Our lives would be too different.

• Its possible but unlikely because they will probably be too different from me theologically. I don't believe God cares what religion you are but I believe it is very important to God that you believe what he teaches in the bible.

• Nope I wouldn't do that, because I'm an atheist.

• Would you marry a deist or a non-denominational theist?

• It depends on him, if he respects my decision, as much as I respect his decision, then maybe I'll think about it, but I'm not sure.

• If they are open and accepting to the fact that I'm an atheist I wouldn't mind marrying a religious person :)

• I'm a non-denominational theist and my boyfriend's a deist :P

• No i can't and i will never marry someone who does not have the same beleifs as i have.
    It's not possible for me to do that and im not even allowed to do that in my relegion Islam.

• It depends on what religion and how important it is to them. How much of their life is consumed by their religion?

• Yes as long as they are not a non-believer. Sorry if I offend.

• More from Girls
    4