Would you consider an accountant or an engineer to be of higher prestige?

Talking undergrad. Who do you think makes more money?

Most Helpful Girl

• Both have sucky programs that I would never want to go through so I respect both. I think an engineer is more likely to make more money, but I'm really not sure.

• Sucks programs? Lol you sound like a liberal arts major.

• Economics that's a respectable major. You could stereotype me as being an arrogant engineering major I suppose lol

What Girls Said 2

• I would think the engineer would make more, but that's just a guess.

• an engineer.

What Guys Said 6

• Engineers easily make more money. Petroleum engineers, Nuclear engineers, Aerospace engineers, Chemical engineers, Electrical engineers make at least 20k-50k more then your average accountants.

Being an engineer also has a higher prestige in my opinion.

• Engineers make more money but it's harder to find a stable job that pays benefits because so many of the jobs out there are contract positions. It's easier to find a STABLE job as an accountant.

• I heard accountants that get into big 4 make well over six figures within their first 5 years.

• Yes but the odds of that being you, well...

• It's not. I'm an engineering undergrad my ex girlfriend said she was going ti get rich off accounting was just wondering if she had a pipe dream.

• Engineer by far. Accounting is really easy. It's kind of like taking business or communications in college; you only do it because you need a college degree, but don't care about putting the effort into what's required for an engineering degree.

A graduated Physics and Math double major and music minor. I

• I think they are about the same. It really depends where you wind up. Either one could make a lot of money in the long term.

• An engineer has more job security and more potential for high earnings. Accountants will be largely unemployed if a flat tax is adopted.

• I've hear you have to be a pretty terrible accountant to be unemployed.

• Much of the work accountants do will be unnecessary under a flat tax.

• Obviously the engineer,,, unless u have multiple clients and are an accountant