Have you ever eaten pasture-raised eggs?

I am a huge foodie, and tonight was like an egg revelation for me: I had pasture-raised eggs for the my first, and HOLY S%$T!!! No joke, I felt like I'd had eggs for the very first time.

The taste was way more eggy, and the texture of the yolk was amazing. I did a hard poach one of the eggs, and the yolk wasn't even mildly grainly. It was light, airy, and super smooth.

Needless to say, my egg life is forever changed; factory farmed eggs, which I never used to eat due to ethical concerns anyway, look like watered-down impostors now.

So, have you guys ever had pasture-raised eggs? Are you willing to spend a little extra money to try them (these were $5.99/dozen)?

Most Helpful Girl

• Quite often lol. My sister has her own chickens so I'm always stealing her eggs. I'm considering getting my own chickens next year, I just have to break down to become "that crazy chicken lady down the street..."

Most Helpful Guy

• I did. My friend's mother owns a ranch and she raises chickens. I really didn't notice a difference in the taste, but their appearance was quite different.

• They're doing a most helpful for guys and girls now? Huh.

Thanks for MHG.

• Yeah, I thought it was a little funny but you deserved it too, so here we are. LOL

What Girls Said 13

• I don't know what you mean by "pasture-raised" eggs but I live on a farm, my family has 15 chickens so we get our eggs that way and yes, they taste a lot better than store-bought eggs. They taste lighter but also have more flavor and the shell is typically harder so they don't break as easily either.

Our chickens also very frequently lay large eggs and we have gotten TONS of double-yolk eggs too. The eggs that we don't eat ourselves, we sell for $4.00 a dozen. A lot of people buy from us so I think a lot of people like them better than regular eggs from a store and are willing to pay a little extra for them.

• So you mean free range eggs? Yeah, I only ever way free range eggs. My mom has chickens so I get my eggs from her and the farm just down the road. I'm very fortunate that where I live there are lots of pop-up food stalls at the side of the road. People sell eggs, homemade jams and vegetables from their gardens. In my local town we have vegetable and herb boxes growing around the place instead of flower beds, people take what they want for free. They even have them at the supermarkets by the doors. I think it's wonderful :)

• Yes! Huge difference! I cannot afford to buy pasture raised eggs, but my grandpa buys them from a friend of his and have had them many times for breakfast when I stayed at his house. It is really like eating a completely different food. Of course, my friend was with me one time and she is not a foodie at all and she did not even notice. But, that is from a girl who thinks real butter and margarine are the same thing. So, I cannot say I was surprised. As a foodie, it is difficult for me to relate to her mindset when it comes to what what she puts in her mouth.

• I haven't but I've thought about keeping chickens a few times. I don't think we could eat enough to justify it. I need an egg co-op! Do you buy from the supermarket or a health store or?

• Haha, yeah now I'm so stoked on the idea of having chickens one day.

I got these one from Ralph's (very large supermarket chain), but they also sell them at Whole Foods. I was also looking up local farms that sell pastured eggs directly to consumers and there's quite a few in my area. :)

• That's awesome that they're so accessible!

• Yes, it's been years and years but I do remember that they tasted a whole lot better than eggs from conventionally farmed chickens.

• No, but I did hatch from an egg.
    thumbs.dreamstime.com/.../...ckground-15054091.jpg

• i haven't but the regular supermarket eggs here have yolks like that. i actually hate egg yolk and only eat it when it's mixed with the white and cooked thoroughly.

• they taste better. but i can't afford them right now. i'd love to live in a place where they'd let me keep chickens.

• I think it really tastes better and it is much more nutritious.

• i can't tell the difference.

• I've tried them several times.. but I couldn't tell the difference lol O_O

• Impossible!

• I KNOW!! my family could tell the difference but I couldn't lol :(

• I'm gonna try them again lol I really liked them though :D

• Nope but I've had supermarket eggs and organic eggs and they all taste disgusting 😷

• Hahahahahahaha, fair enough!

Even for non-egg lovers, the pastured ones are good to support because they are so much more humane. :)

• i never have.

What Guys Said 6

• I try to buy cage-free, I don't know if that's the same as pasture raised eggs or not. I bought some the other week and the yolks were like orange, I wasn't sure what to make of it. They tasted a little different too. These were from a local farm. I bought them at a supermarket, but the farm is within a half hour of here. I'm weird about eggs, like I like them, but at the same time I'm bugged out by them. They're liquid chickens, haha. But I mean, I think tasting more "eggy" is not necessarily what I'm looking for, I eat eggs more for nutritional value than taste. I try not to eat the yolks too often and keep it to just the whites anyway, so I guess it's a moot point, haha. At the end of the day I'll buy what's most humane.

• Yeah I've tried the eggs that were sold as free-range/walking-chicken eggs; I like them. =D Admittedly I don't taste much of a difference ahah, but I do notice that their egg shells tend to be tougher?

They're more expensive, but they're worth it -- if it means supporting a farming practice that is more humane than the horrible ways that chickens are treated on other "farms" that --- from what I've seen and read --- are more like torture chambers than anything else. =(

Unfortunately, from what I understand, there is not yet much enforcement or oversight when it comes to sellers being able to slap the "cage free" or "free range" label on their eggs either, so unless one has personal experience with the farm from which they came, it's hard to know for sure. =/ Hopefully there will be more transparency in the future about these things.

• To clarify, I don't mean to say that "free-range" and "walking chicken" were necessarily the same thing, ahah. The ambiguity of living conditions is more to do with the "free range" label, not the real pasture-raised chickens that you are speaking of. =P Apparently the term "walking chicken" is not used so much in the US, but where my family comes from, it more or less means pasture-raised chickens.

• We have 15 chickens. The eggs are always better than store bought but best in summer when the chickens can graze and eat lots of bugs.

• Yeah my grandma used to have chicken... when I visited her, eggs were always fresh :-)
    Though I've never noticed that the difference was so large...

• Farm fresh eggs are the best. I have access to fresh organic eggs from chickens that have a huge area to run around in. They are really good.

• Organic is what my folks buy