Scientist say we only use 10% of are brains?

What's the other 80% used for?

Yep 90% sorry
Why this get hidden for?

Most Helpful Guy

• I thought we use 100℅ of our brain just at different times, there's a difference between what we use and what we can control!

• Am done with this site... last question am posting... waste of time

What Girls Said 18

• Actually they don't say that, it's a myth.

• Hahaha No...
    They say we use 10% of our brains at a time...
    Meaning we use 100% of our brain just not at one.

• obviously not math

• Doesn't seem legit.

• I learned in psychology that we use 100 percent of brain just only 10 percent of it. like it has the ability for us to use 100 percent of it but we don't do everything to our full capability of it. like we could be stronger then we are, more flexible smarter if we worked out and read more books stuff like that so in that case we only use 10 percent

• As mostly everyone has stated, it is untrue. 100% of our brain is used in order to maintain functionality of our body.

• Lol how about you watch Lucy to find out - also it wouldn't be 80 but 90% that we do not use :P

• We use 100% of our brains, most of it is used for unconscious functions like blinking, breathing, keeping all your nerves sensitive and such.

• yes we do not use it fully on our control

• That's an urban legend

• hmm I do not know if this is really true, but I have a theory, it is very hard to explain so first, im gonna check out the others comments :)

• It's an untruth that has turned into an urban myth I believe.

• Non-concious biological processes :P

• I think the rest is there to keep us Alive

• That is a myth and a misreading of a document on the study of the human brain.

• I don't believe that

• You may only be using half of that... -_-

What Guys Said 15

• We use only 10% at a time.

Think about it, each line of neurons is a process of sorts. You select certain processes to do certain things. If they all fired at once, it would be an incoherent, useless mess of signals.

I think we call that an epileptic seizure.

• So the whole "Lucy" movie would basically be Scarlett Johansson transitioning into progressively worse seizures until she is basically on the ground twitching by the end. Hardly makes for a good movie. Still probably better than the actual movie.

• "The 10 percent of the brain myth is the widely perpetuated urban legend that most or all humans only make use of 10 percent (or some other small percentage) of their brains. It has been misattributed to many people, including Albert Einstein.[1] By extrapolation, it is suggested that a person may harness this unused potential and increase intelligence.
    Changes in grey and white matter following new experiences and learning have been shown, but it has not yet been proven what the changes are.[2] The popular notion that large parts of the brain remain unused, and could subsequently be "activated", rests in popular folklore and not science. Though mysteries regarding brain function remain—e. g. memory, consciousness—the physiology of brain mapping suggests that all areas of the brain have a function.[3][4]" -Interwebs

• It's a myth by the way.

• No NO it doesn't mean that if we divide our brain into parts then only 10% of our brain is in use. It's actually the research done on two aspects:
    1) How much our brain is capable of doing.
    2) How much of our brain we have been able to utilise.

Relation of part 1 to part 2: If we look at the biology of our brain and the way it is designed to work, it's very much more capable of doing than it is doing right now. Remember when few genetic changes, while the baby's brain is developing, allows us to be Super Human. There are humans who have been born or have been evolved (as they lived) with special abilities. The fact is that these abilities are nothing new, but just a more advanced version of what we all normal humans usually have. Some can see far more than usual, hear more than usual, think more than usual, calculate more than usual, can even echo-locate like birds, can resist to cold temperatures, can imagine more than usual, can mark targets with knives more faster than usual.
    So what is happening is that these humans have somehow opened the gates of their brain's advanced functions. It can be intententionally done by practicising, and can be due to trauma or genetic changes.
    So this is to what we call that our brain is capable of doing wonderful things which we don't know yet. Like if you don't learn how to calculate, you won't know that there's something like addition and subtraction.
    Let the things which our brain is capable of doing be 'x'.
    Then the things which we humans have been able to do usually and how much we have learned to utilise our brain's capablity is just 10% of 'x'.
    I suggest you to watch Lucy movie, it's half scientific, half fictional. :)

• I don't know why but I just got the image of Morgan freeman talking about Lucy in that film about how he unlocked her brain and homer s with a hamster turning a wheel haha

Impossible to say what we use the empty space for

• just wanted to say i loved watching the movie "Lucy". This question reminded me of it.

• Lol scientists do not say that dude. That movie was a bunch of shit.

• Man I know that a bunch of b. s caused I'm only using about 7% right now maybe even 6% .

Igornace is bless

• I was about to ask that same question... Scientists say so... If its true, if we get 100% access to our brain, we will never require google.

• You mean other 90%*

• For guys that 90% is the sex region and for girls it's the shopping computation region

• If by "scientists" you mean "marketing hucksters" then yes.

• mostly involuntary body functions/ muscle control.

• Manys of us use much lower than that 😊

• Those scientists must have used 10% of their brains..