Who's good with history?

So basically I just want to know if any of you lovely human beings know anything about the first crusade and would be willing to share?

Most Helpful Guy

• As you probably know that it's kind of complex.. i'll try to keep it simple just so that you dont end up confused. You can always read the wikipedia article for full details. So here goes..
    1) Pre-Jesus.. the land of present day Israel, Sinai peninsula and the neighbouring countries ( called as the levant) used to be occupied by people following Judaism and various other religions like neo-babylonian, arab pagan, zoroastrianism etc..
    2) Post Jesus era experienced the rise of Christianity which spread from Israel to Arabia, Egypt (Coptic christians), Syria (Assyrian christians) , Anatolia (present day turkey) and then to Europe
    3) Judeo-Christianity kept flourishing in the levant till the 8th century. The area came to be known as the Holy Land due to having many religious sites-Nazareth, Jerusalem, etc
    4) Muhammad was born in the sixth century in Arabia and founded Islam. Muhammad's conquests to spread Islam in the world were very successful in uniting an otherwise divided arabia.
    5) After the unification of Arabia, The arabs started to spread outwards. Muhammad is said to have travelled on a winged steed (buraq) to the Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem one night. Jerusalem thus becomes the third holiest site of Islam (After Mecca and Madina).
    6) As the Arabs try to convert the Jews and Christians to Islam, they fail to convince them that Muhammad was the last prophet. Muslims then take the alternate route.. They attack and conquer non-muslim lands and forcibly convert or expel non muslims.
    7) They encounter the powerful turkish tribes (who were not muslim then). The frequent struggle between arabs and turks keeps jerusalem safe.. until the turkish tribes start converting to Islam.
    8) Jerusalem's enemies unite and Jerusalem is sacked.. it's christian and jewish population is slaughtered and islamic rule (shariah) is imposed
    9) The turkish tribes start raiding the Byzantine empire now that they were united under the banner of Islam.
    10) The byzantine emperor calls western Europe for help.
    11) The pope announces the first crusade and encourages the knights all over Europe to come under the banner of christianity and drive the barbarians from the holy land.
    12) Armies from all across Europe gather and rain down upon anatolia. cutting a swath towards jerusalem.
    13) muslim light armored troops fall to the heavily armored european knights.
    14) jerusalem is sacked. the muslim and jewish population is murdered. muslims beheaded and their heads thrown from the.. (contd)..

• ..(contd).. walls as a punishment for challenging christians' authority over the holy land.
      15) over a period of time the one single christian army is divided into the kingdom of jerusalem and other small prinicpalities like tiberias, tripoli, antioch etc.
      I know more about the third crusade. More interesting.
      (Sources: Various history books, Wikipedia, Age of Empires and Assassins creed)

What Guys Said 10

• You can check all of the dates and names on wikipedia but one thing is for sure, the crusades were less about religion and more about politics and prestige.

• I dont remember a lot because I like history but only certain parts :S But it was 1100AD and many countries in Europe were involved in the crusade. It was one of the more successful crusades and a good amount of land was taken and the Kingdom of Jerusalem and Antioch was made along with some other provinces. A lot of the reason behind the crusade is speculated not to be just taking Jerusalem and Holy Lands but more for hindering growth of the growing Turkish Empires who I believe were the Seljuk's at the time. And also to assist the border country the Byzantine Empire who subsequently retook lost lands from the Turks. However the defeat of the large armies of the current leader lead to a more uniformed Muslim Empire that promoted the famous tactician Saladin to lead the armies and expel the Crusaders and he was a much better leader that hindered other crusades greatly. And that's all I know... Oh and Godfrey lead for a bit and then Baldwin the first after him in Jerusalem. Honestly I know more about the 3rd Crusade.

• Thankyou very much indeed!!! :)

• Haha no problem I like auto history and 1800's history and European Wars a lot more... but I still know a thing or two about the Crusades. Is this for like a report or something? Or just curious?

• It is for a report ahahaha a well over due one at that

• It was started when the Emperor of the Byzantine Empire asked the pope to send knights to fight off the Caliphate when they got really close to Constantinople. The Pope gave his blessing and basically a pilgrimage of people traveled through Europe (mercenaries and locals that wanted to fight on behalf of god) at lot of Jewish settlements were destroyed along the way which was really bad and most of those that went on pilgramage to fight off the Caliphate got slaughtered until The Pope's knights finally arrived to Constantinople and then began the crusade through Canaan. It became reclaming the Holy Land specifically Jerusalem.

Sorry all I remember is that it was Pope Urban. I don't remember the Byzantine Emperors name.

• The Byzantine Emperor's name is Alexious I Komnenos if I was not mistaken.

• I'm sure Google knows all about it.

• *scratches his head*.

Cats are no good at history

• Google is your friend my friend :)

• It was a mistake.

• there are a lot of stories about love ... but as usual it never ended good

• Offcoursw I you have complete trust on it.

• I really hope I will study that at university!

What Girls Said 5

• Uhh I'm not sure how well I remembered what I just helped my friend to research on, but hopefully it helped a little.

The First Crusade took place in 1096 till 1099. It was an attempt to capture the Holy Land and was called by Pope Urban II in 1095. It was launched on the 27th of November in the year 1095 by Pope Urban II and was a respond to the appeal of the Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos. The emperor requested for aid to repel the invading Seljuq Turks from Anatolia.

The crusade started as a pilgrimage and ended as an expedition by the Roman Catholics to regain the Holy Land. Their primary objective soon became that the Christians reconquered the Holy Land and to free the Eastern Christians from the ruling of the Muslims.

The Crusaders arrived at Jerusalem and captured it in July 1099. They also established the Kingdom of Jerusalem, the County of Edessa & County of Tropoli. There was one more, but I couldn't remember it all of the sudden. Apologies.

The First Crusade was followed by a second one until the ninth. It's a major step towards reopening international trade since the downfall of the Western Roman Empire. However, the status of the first crusade on whether it was as defensive or as aggressive remains controversial.

I helped my friend to do her research using Wikipedia and the city's library. Pardon if there's mistake anywhere.

• totally me...

• Sorry, can't help, I know nothing about history, I suck at it big time xD

• Nopes, I forgot it all

• Check out CrashCourse on YouTube. I think it'll be a lot of help for you. John Green doesn't really go into super detail, but he does enough for you to get the point of the time period

• okay thankyou very much and damn I love John Green so you have my utmost gratitude

• You're welcome. Just don't depend on it to pass a test lol it's more for helping you not sound uneducated if it ever comes up in conversation