Do you think autograph is dead?

Nowadays, fans overwhelmingly favour a selfie instead of autographs. Do you think this is an end of an era of autographs?
Remember: you cannot sell selfie but autograph has a lot value.

• Yes - autograph is dead
  • No - it is still being used substantially

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's dead. Like I would value a written autograph from my favorite players, players, actors, and musicans way more than a selfie. I don't know if this is more of a reflection of my unwilling hipster tastes than anything else. Like who's going to recognize a picture of jack Jewsbury or hope solo? They might recognize the names though.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think pics are definitely becoming the norm. I think it depends on what the person's motivation is. If you just want the memory, you take a pic. If you want to hawk memorabilia, autograph.

I don't know, I've never been big on either as an adult. Like I love Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman... but I don't need a photo op or an autograph. They're just guys like me, just shake their hand like a normal person, maybe id say something quick like "bro, thanks for all the great sports memories", and then I'd probably go out of my way to make any further conversation not related to their jobs and treat them like I would anyone else. That's what I'd really be annoyed by if I was a celebrity, people treating me differently. Nobody wants to talk about work when they're off duty. I can't even imagine being an actor, and people talking to you like you're one of the characters you play, haha. I don't know, I dot think I could handle fame. Way too annoying to have people falling over themselves at the very sight of you.

What Girls Said 5

• They won't go away. But as more and more kids (at least in US) aren't even taught cursive anymore it will become less common in time increasing the value of autographs in existence.

I prefer autographs because they are more personalized. They reveal more of that person's personality than a selfie.

• I think it probably is except for maybe authors signing books.

• Yes because it's not even special. It's just a written name, people would rather have visual proof that they had a picture with someone

• I haven't came up with statistics about this yet. I personally prefer selfies. It's true that an autograph does have a lot of value but a selfie is more cool, it's you next to a star!

• Fans want selfies for memories. Paparrazzi ask for autographs to make extra buck.

What Guys Said 8

• Yeah bro... it's been YEARS since i've heard da phrase "won't u sign my autograph?"

We live in SM-era so...

• I heard the other day Pete Rose still charges like $50 for an autograph. Maybe it's more of a sports thing.

• Dude, did you know Roger Clemens used to charge for his autograph, AT THE BALLPARK? I was at Fenway when I was like 10 or 11, Clemens is out there in the outfield during warmups, not even pitching that day, and we're all there on the wall trying to get autographs or a ball tossed to us. Clemens walks by and of course everyone goes crazy. He just looks over and "Go ask your dads for 25 bucks and I'll sign something..." and just callously walked away. I was like "WOW. What a dick." Always hated him from then on. It's not like it's some other grown man hassling you when you're out with your family, you're AT WORK and it's little kids you're dealing with. Category 5 douchebag.

• @WhiteSteve I know what you mean. I don't think I could take someone's money for an autograph, especially if I'm making millions. It took just as much energy to tell you the price as it would have to sign the ball. I heard Pete Rose does it to make a living lol

• Cursive isn't even taught anymore... Yes the autograph is dying.

• I'd prefer an autograph.

• I don't think that autographs will go away, but fewer people want them, which might actually make the value of autographs increase. lol.

• I have quite a few autographs but tbh the price some of the 'stars' charge for autographs is at times a LOT!

I'm a star wars geek... and got to a few conventions.. and some of them are touching a £100

• No cause when it comes to collectibles an autographed piece of memorabilia is far more valuable

• Don't know if its dead cause I never ask for autographs. If I get to meet the celeb in person that's enough for me but I can understand why people would rather ask for a selfie. It's nicer to have a picture with the person than to have their name written somewhere.