What evolutionary advantage was there for man to walk upright on two legs?

AKA Bipedalism. There are numerous theories out there for why, but why do you think it is?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, first not all evolutionary changes are for the better. There are a lot of ideas as to why men walk upright. One is that it takes less energy to run. Another is that it frees your hands up for wielding of tools (that is a pretty good concept).

It could be anything. Change isn't on demand. There are mutations and there is variation. The more children that are created by those with the change the more prominent it is. Sometimes this just means that two people with the change left the population so ALL of their progeny had the change. It is NOT always for a "Reason"

• So then you disagree with natural selection? Where a trait has evolved to give a species an evolutionary advantage?

For instance insects may evolve into colors to help them blend into their environment and are able to hide from predators.

You don't think bipedalism gave us a similar kind of advantage?

• Reading your insect example. You have it backwards. The insects in a population have a variety of colors. If a predator eats all the insects they can see, this may lead to a shift in the frequency of genes in the population resulting in a higher percentage of insects that are not easily spotted. (But not always - if there is a recessive gene - then the genes can stay in the population). BUT first comes the variation, then the change. The change is not demanded by the selection, it is already there. That is very important.

• Thanks for Mho. !

What Girls Said 8

• From what I learned in history class, it was because it uses less energy to walk upright, the increase in height was an advantage, and it also let us develop finer motor skills. Carrying food was also easier, because when you walk on all fours, you obviously can't carry as much. We were also forced down from trees due to climate changes (such as forest fires, which severely decreased the amount of trees to live in), which forced us to adapt and make the changes stated above.

• I haven't studied this much in school. But I can give some ideas I've heard.

-better sight
    -adapting to grassland environment
    -freeing the hands
    -better thermoregulation

• By walking upright they were able to spot predators from a distance

• My best guess is the penis and boobs got too big and floppy.. it got too painful to drag them across the woods.

• I think it's because it made us appear taller, hence possibly scare smaller enemies away just with our height. Also I think it better enabled us to use our hands as weapons or for working/building shelters instead of walking around so it was more just practical/useful than using all four limbs for walking

• I'm too dumb to answer this :/

• We could see further, bigger, perhaps more threatening to other animals
    We had our hands free to hold stuff while we could walk

Errr.. It looked neat back then

• I'm assuming larger and more stable feet and stronger abdominal/back muscles to hold up the torso.

What Guys Said 8

• Probably because it's easier to tools with our hands in that position. It's easier to get tasks with tools done which is where we excel.

• I think it is a lot to do with our hands. Our hands have tons of nerves to better feel things and very fine motor skills, not something you want to be walking on all the time!

• Being able to stand on their hind legs meant being able to see over the tall grass and better spot predators/prey. Which leads to:

Not using all four limbs for motion meant finer, more delicate hands better suited to using complex tools.

• This is the prevailing theory, and I think it seems reasonable.

• To reach the high cabinets...

• I guess to reach things better and to be able to use weapons while running

• What evolutionary advantage was there for a T-Rex to evolve into a chicken?

cryingfowl.weebly.com/.../1764565_orig.jpg

Oh how the mighty have fallen...

• E. All of the above.

• It gave woman easier access to his man parts.