What is behind our universe?

Ok this is a questoin of the smart thinkers, the ones interested in Atronomy and Astrophysics..
And no, they will most likely not be able to tell you whether that relationship with a gemini will work or not.

So as you might already know scientist have already found out our universe is still progressively expanding (it's expanding faster and faster.
(Which also explains why we haven't yet been sucked into that beautiful black hole in the middle of our galaxy)
So I know scientists have not been able to collect any facts as to what matter it is that our universe is actually expanding in so rapidly - and I believe that the answer to this might actually be an answer to how it all began.

I'm pretty sure that whatever it is that we're expanding in was already there before the big bang and now the universe is gradually taking up it's initial space but I have a feeling that whatever it is we're expanding in is of infinite space (the universe itself is NOT of infinite space).

What is your theory? (I'm just a bored and curious kid so I welcome any theory really)
And do you ever think human kind will actually make it to the borders of our universe or even beyond?
(I know they can already see until there from earth with those super high tech observatories and space telescopes like hubble but physically..)

Most Helpful Guy

• Well according to tradition, it was said that the "thing" --- in which the universe's matter is flying --- is just the vacuum of empty space, which is... just empty space. This is why they give everything beyond our Earth the name of "outer space," or simply "space." xD The space just IS, and always has been; and within all its nothingness, it contained the relatively tiny speck of the Big Bang particle during the beginning of the universe.

But more recently in science, as you and some others here have already mentioned, the possible existences of "dark matter" and "dark energy" are being considered, as a way to explain inconsistencies that scientists noticed with the way that gravity was behaving with certain things, compared to the amount of mass that the scientists were actually able to measure from those things. In fact, they now believe that "normal" matter and energy actually might make up only a small fraction of "stuff" in the universe, and that dark matter and dark energy might make up the vast majority! And yet, for the most part, we can't even actually see them, observe them, detect them, or know exactly what they are! **mysterious creepy music** =O

Like you said, some say that the dark matter/energy may have already been there in space before the Big Bang, and/or that it plays some role in directing the outward movement of the universe's matter, and/or behaves like some kind of "skeleton" for the structure of the universe (maybe kind of analogous to the cytoskeleton of a living cell).

But then again, whether space is "empty space" or it has dark matter/energy in it, I feel that the questions still remain: Where did everything come from? And is it really "infinite"?

There is the idea that maybe there have been an infinite number of Big Bangs: the universe expands and eventually somehow reverses and contracts back to its original state, and then blows up and expands out again, etc. Or maybe there was only one Big Bang (with an eternity of nothingness before it), and things will now just fly out into infinite space forever. But from what I understand, the problem with infinity/eternity -- in terms of both space AND time -- is that you are never able to actually "get there". If it took infinity to get to this point right now in space and time, then the point should not have even been able to be reached in the first place. =O It's like trying to count to infinity: 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

Woah.

• But then again, I am thinking according to the more basic concept of time the way that humans commonly think of time: being linear. Working in a "straight one-direction line" from past to present to future. But maybe the universe and time do not actually work that way. I think there are some advanced mathematics/theories out there that may have found a way to explain infinity and time in a non-linear way, to reconcile the way that our mysterious "space" works in terms of infinite age and volume. But I dunno. xD

• @Jxpxtxr Ahaha sorry for moving us away. =P Well to answer your other question about making it to the end of the universe --- or first, just getting out of the solar system before our Sun dies, lol --- I think that, if life from Earth still somehow exists until then, it will almost definitely be of no concern to our species. Because Homo sapiens will almost certainly be long gone by then due to evolution, and replaced by... something else. Look how different animals were "only" 65 million years ago, when dinosaurs were here! If life from Earth still exists in a few BILLION years (even those that maybe have colonized other planets), it will still be radically different. Maybe there will be advanced civilization-species, or maybe just "basic" animals that eat, sleep, and mate like usual haha. But either way, they won't be human. But since all life on Earth is related, I just hope SOMETHING from Earth survives, lol. It would suck if everything dies and then that's it. xD

• That would be pretty depressing indeed!

What Guys Said 22

• let's get this out of the way, they are NOT seeing the end. They are seeing the end as it was millions of lightyears ago, and are calculating the rest of the universe. Seeing the end in real time would actually mean defying the laws of space time and lightspeed. Then again, they did supposedly encounter an object moving at lightspeed4 (which was deemed impossible), so the laws might be wrong.
    We will likely not reach the end of it, at least not unless it slows down or starts contracting again, Like for example if the "bang bang theory" is true. An other possible way to reach close to the end is if the wormhole theory turns out to be true, and we find a way to not only controll them but also create them and keep them stable.

Some scientists actually theorize we're one massive computer simmulation. Imagine millions of yars into the future; how strong computers would we have then? How many space colonies? What if human science poured their resources into one massive supercomputer to simmulate the big bang, in order to study how everything develops from there. What if we are one such simmulation?
    And that so called intelligent life, you can't simulate that? We can't, and how do we know out own intelligence isn't artificial? It's all chemisty and bioengineering anyway, so it should be theoretically possible (albeit extrmely resource demanding) to simulate it with a computer.
    And they could have simply added a failsafe preventing the simulation from getting self aware?
    Hell, to take it even further; what if we're just one massive MMO simulator for some super-advanced specie? Then again, our lives are too boring for that XD

And there's this little problem with "where did everything start?" The laws state clearly you can't create matter out of nothing, and nothing out of matter, and that is a logical flaw. Because where did the matter for Big Bang come from? Was it created by an omnipotent "god"? Where did the God come from? Are our laws of nature wrong?

• Interesting ideas, that computer simulation theory seems pretty matrix to me tho..

• that too ^^
      But that'd be way fucked up. Because who is the person dreaming?

• maybe it's whoever we call "god" lol
      who knows, maybe even we do have some universe in our heads..

• hmmm, very interesting indeed, i do have my own small telescope and do enjoy looking at the planets on those starry nights... i might also "cheekily" add that the planets can't beat the starry sparkle in my wife's eye on those nights, haha... anyway...

I think time and space are not limited, they are infinite – they are the terms of an extension of consciousness in which things take place or are arranged in a certain relation, succession, order. There are again different orders of time and space; that too depends on the consciousness. The Eternal is extended in time and space, but he is also beyond all time and space. Timelessness and time are two terms of the eternal existence. The space less eternal is not one indivisible infinity of space, there is in it no near or far, no here or there – the timeless eternal is not measurable by years or hours or aeons, the experience of it has been described as the eternal moment. But for the mind this state cannot be described except by negatives, – one has to go beyond and to realize it. - this is what my father wrote down for me in one of the books he gave me

• I've asked myself this question several times and I can never come up with something reasonable so I start to get anxious cause there's no answer.
    I honestly don't know. Is it just a black space? A white canvas? What the hell is it? And is it infinite? And if it's not infinite then there must be something after that.
    Like you said, the universe is expanding, but what happens when it fills the whole space of what's after space... or is that expanding too?
    Every time I ask myself this question I end up coming up with more questions and no answers.

I doubt humans will ever reach the end, we'll destroy our world before getting there, unless we find a new planet to migrate, but that's not happening while I'm alive xD

• yeah sometimes I think about it so much it gives me headaches lol

• I just computed how big the universe is like 45 minutes ago, I was left with the question if the universe is expanding faster than time, or vice versa. Anyways when we look at the farthest galaxies we only see their pasts, they are long dead, so there is a limit the universe can expand; the universe is ultimately unsustainable. I believe there is only one universe. In this universe we have laws, which are not easily explained; why is it that way? this means the universe has no philosophical principle, because these laws don't cause anything to happen. These laws/conditions prevents us from reaching any form of space venture; not possible because the human race was not made to be sustainable itself, so we don't have enough time to do it. Humans need a minimum # genes to function, we are constantly generating new DNA information; but there is a limit to this, unfortunately scientist recently found out that our genetic codes will eventually be unsustainable, so we are not going to survive forever...

• My theory, take everything we know for face value, and see if we have divine intervention.

• It all would depend on dark matter (a term scientists use in the place of stuff they have no way of studying). Dark matter makes up around 90-95% of the universe and the only reason we think it exists is because there are gravitational pulls towards nothingness out there (not black holes because those can be observed by watching light be warped and stretched around it). Dark matter is not affected by light which makes it really hard to study because everything we have is all based around the concept of light.

We possibly could leave our galaxy to others. We have the technology to move atoms at near speed of light. That's how we've created new elements. It also incorporates the closest thing we have to time travel since time bends as you get closer to the speed of light. So it's like going into the future almost.

• I've asked myself this question before actually! Now what i think its entering is probably a void made of total nothingness. It's probably something hard for the human mind to really understand, because we don't really know what "nothing" looks like. It would be like trying to describe what the colour red looks like to a blind man. It's probably a void where absolutely nothing exists, and frankly... no one really knows what nothing looks like. Even space itself is something. So my guess is that if the universe is indeed expanding into something, its expanding into an infinite void of nothingness where absolutely nothing exists, including the laws of gravity

• I thought about that as a possibility before but then how do you explain where the incredible amounts of energy that initiated the big bang come from? I mean this much energy can't just exist out of nothing..

• I don't feel like that really answers my question, I mean, how is it possible that there's no beginning? Everything starts somewhere.
      I feel like that answer is when you ask your mom why what you did was wrong and she says "because I say so", it doesn't really give an answer.
      I respect your belief, it's just that for ME I can't be fulfilled by that.

• @AleDeEurope

well, that's kinda what happens when you try to use science to explain something that isn't scientific. Belief in a divine intelligent being goes beyond the domain of science. You're entering the realm of the metaphysical and spiritual

• This isn't a theory, but some believe that the speed of light may be variable over interstellar distances. If this is so, that changes the interpretations of observations. "VSL" implies that the nature of space can vary from place to place.
    en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light

• I've heard about that before! :) And yes it makes sense to me!

• During the start of the big bang, the moment that the universe expanded from the cosmic egg was when the fundamental laws of physics started to exist.
    Since this is true, we would say that space didn't exist before then. Because the big bang is literally the moment that the universe was created, along with space and time. In actual fact, space and time are not different things according to physicists, they are the same thing with different expressions. Knowing that they are created during the moment of expansion, it is safe to conclude that 'nothing' exists outside of our universe.
    Of course we would have a hard time picturing the idea of 'nothing'. Because it is a concept we are not familiar with, but our minds weren't made to understand the mechanics of the universe and so on.

Scientists say that there must be a force that causes galaxies to move apart from one another, a lot of them believe that it is due to dark energy. We don't know how to objectively measure it, though.

However, in attempt to explain some strange things in quantum mechanics, physicists have theorised the existence of multiverses. But no one can prove that it is true. It's an educated guess, at best. Whether we can go there or how, we do not know.

And just to correct you, the reason why we don't get sucked into the supermassive black hole in the middle of our galaxy isn't due to the expansion of the universe. Expansion of the universe actually just describes the space in the universe expanding. What prevents us from being absorbed into the black hole is because of the speed our solar system is moving relative to the gravitational force exerted on us and distance. Sounds confusing? Let me explain.
    If you were to shoot a very powerful gun sideways with an extreme speed, it would moving toward the earth, but miss it. This happens because it moves at the exact same rate that the earth curves away from it. The further you are from the source of gravity, the less speed you would require. This is why satellites can orbit the earth. The same principle also applies to other celestial objects that surround a large source of gravity.

• What you say makes sense, but then what is your theory on how it even came to the big bang?
      It is pretty safe to say that this amount of energy can't have just out of "nothing".

"And just to correct you" - Lol I know and I didn't really say anything else, so no need to 'correct' ^^

• Ahh, I actually have a hope they will figure out what exactly dark matter is in our lifetime still - The speed at which technology is evolving kinda gives me hope for that to become possible and once they do know the answer to that, I suppose there will be a lot of new theories as to why/how/when exactly the big bang happened and what is beyond our universe. :)

• Well, robotic experts predict that we can acquire artificial supreme intelligence by 2060, a robot more than a thousand times better than a human being in every way. So with this in mind, I wouldn't have a doubt that we could potentially discover more earth-shattering revelations about the origin of our universe. The question is if we will still be here when that happens.

• I think there is other universe out there... It could be wrong as our universe is expanding continuously it may hit/crash into other universe... Even other universes must be expanding. Or the other I think is we'll find god out of the universe... Lol. It may just be the end but I think its too big and complex for us to think as we only use 10% of our brain...

• The 10% thing is actually a myth hahaha, we do use 100%, we just don't use 100% of it all at once, our body is clever when it comes to energy saving so in order to do so it has been programmed to only use 10% of our brains at a time and that is perfectly enough :)
      I am positive that human kind (or whatever species will evolve from us) will find a way out of our solar system and travel further and further though universe and since the universe is not infinite they might actually one day reach the borders of it - but of course that will be in a very, very far future from now.

• I don't know about the brain, my friend forwarded me that message that we use 10% of out brain and the movie 'Lucy'. Everything has it's end and limits. Or technology is developing very quickly, one day we will find the border of our universe...

• The universe is infinite it never ends and even if there was an end, all you'd reach is another universe, another cluster of galaxies -shrugs-.

• Well we could either keep expanding until the only thing in the night sky would be stars from a only the Milky Way. Or the universe could expand until it rips itself apart. Or there might be an actual end, like space can only go so far, and when that happens we everything could go back to the point of the Big Bang. Kind of like the universe recycling itself. Start anew completely.

• I thought about that last theory too but from what they know at the moment is that there will be no end and once all the stars in our universe will die ( because there are no new stars) the whole universe will turn dark and cold.. it would be such a sad end tho.. that's why I think it will be important to get to the borders of our universe and beyond..

• but that will be a loooooooong time from now haha
      oh and by the way our milky way is predicted to collide with andromeda galaxy which will form a lot of new planets and a whole new galaxy in about 4 billion years time

• Exactly. But when the galaxies collide, and there are no other galaxies around all we'll see are our stars. Then they'll die out and everything will freeze. Very sad ending I agree

• That's a pretty good theory. I feel the same, but not sure about the infinite space. It might also end somewhere and there could be many parallel universes just like this one. Some of them might have expanded more than this one but some of them, not so much.

I don't think humans will make it that far. There aren't too many intelligent ones anyway. There might be another species in the future that might.

• Yeah, I actually thought the parallel-universe-theory had already been scientifically backed up?
      But maybe I'm wrong about that :P
      Anyways that's such a sad assessment of human kind lol
      I actually have faith in us making it off our own planet by the time the sun implodes tho..

• @ClariceOwen23 yeah he did, but he's known for a lot of other stuff too. Bohr takes credit for this one.

• I believe in the multiverse theory so there is another universe neighbouring ours but not sure how it affects us or if there are other laws of physics governing that system

• Since universes are actually thought to be the shape of spheres what would you suppose the empty gaps in this dimension would be? Is it just nothingness? Also if there really is a multiverse than our universe is just gradually taking up other universes space since it's still expanding and its predicted to never stop to expand.
      Are the neighbouring universes contracting to enable our universe to expand and expand ever further?
      I'm just trying to make sense of the multiverse theory..

• So you believe there is dark matter behind our universe?

• Maybe there is dark matter bordering the universe

• Well i believe there are another universes besides us and what is behind our universe dark energy I guess

• It's just turtles all the way down.

• William Shatner, in a room all by himself... ranting incessantly about what might be in *our* universe...

• Thats a deep question. I don't know the answer. I wish I did.

• well, nobody has the answer yet but do you have any theory? :)
      anything lol you could just say there's a pancake heaven or something..

• Only one way to find out lol

• the only problem would be that you couldn't go back and tell people :P

• I think there's something that has 4 or more dimensions. Which we can't get to see or understand.

• Maybe other Universes. Maybe an infinity of other Universes.

• so like our universe is expanding inside of another, much bigger universe?
      there are actually infinite parallel universes to ours but no idea how they work..
      I used to think as a kid that maybe there's a planet like earth and our universe is just a part of this planet as some really tiny microorganism lol but now that doesn't make sense anymore.
      Anyways that's a cool theory.

• Well okay, firstly I'm not a scientist but... A theory is only valid if it can be proved by teal-world data. I believe the general thinking is that the Big Bang resulted from contact between matter and anti-matter, so presumably there was just a tiny amount of matter and anti-matter existing in void.

• *real-world data.

• The heavens are beyond the universe.

• If the universe is expanding it's extremely unlikely we could reach the border, as we wouldn't be able to travel fast enough to approach the constantly receding border. If expansion is slowing that leads to other tough questions about the nature of the universe, especially what causes the slowing. Theoretically the energy should not be lost and increasing distance from everything else in the universe would increase acceleration instead of decreasing it. One cannot assume that interaction with whatever the universe is expanding into would have any effect because it's simply unknowable.

That brings us to your original question, which unfortunately I think can never be known. Without a way to probe outside the universe, everything is speculation. It could be nothing measurable; it could be the opposite of the properties of this universe; it could be phase-shifted so that it occupies a congruent physical space but cannot interact; and there are many other possibilities. The upshot is, I don't think there is any way to even glimpse beyond the universe we're in now.

Another possibility is that the universe is NOT expanding and that we are merely observing the conditions of a universe that is dynamic inside a defined, finite volume. Since all of our observations are essentially light-based, the information contained in it takes time to reach an observer and we have the illusion of current expansion although the information being received is not reflective of current reality. Expansion could have happened but now stopped for some unknown reason. If this is the case, there is a strong possibility of reaching the border of the known universe and maybe figuring out a way to see what's on the other side.

There are other possibilities, but I'll stop here, and I hope you don't find this to be too stupid.

• I'm sorry but of what I know the theory of the universe gradually expanding has actually already been backed up scientifically so it's pretty damn certain that that is the case, and how do you wanna know we wouldn't be able to travel fast enough to reach the border, I personally think technologically things will be possible in a few hundred/thousand years from now that we're not even dreaming about to happen at this moment in time.
      I am actually positive that humans will find out a lot of those things eventually, but that won't be likely to happy in our lifetime.

• The reason it is unlikely that we could reach the border of an expanding universe is that anything we send into space will begin its journey with less initial energy than the matter at the edge of the border of the universe started with, and the object we send will be subject to the same forces. I don't see how our object could receive more energy but matter at the edge could not.

As for the rest, anything's possible. I am not as ready to close my mind to alternatives to an expanding universe.

• as you might know, space itself is a vacuum and does not possess matter, it is only planets /stars/etc. that withold matter due to its gravitational pull.
    A logical theory to the expansion of the universe is that the galaxies and so forth are expanding and moving within this endless space/vacuum, and that from the beginning this space existed.

think of it like an explosion :
    a bomb goes off in space, its particles/debris fly spherically outwards away from the centre of the explosion, and due to its location in space, these particles/debri will not slow down or stop, but only keep going in the same direction forever. but it is travelling in space which hasn't been altered by the explosion.
    :)

• But - you're forgetting about the most important thing here - dark matter.
      our space is indeed full of it and it seems to be the matter that is holding it all together.
      So where did it come from? How did it form?
      And actually it does not really appear logical to me that the incredible amount of energy needed to initiate the big bang is coming out of nowhere at all. What is your theory on that?

• wow I just looked at that but are you sure they are actually real corpses and not like made of wax to attract tourism? I'm sorry but I'm always rather doubtful about those "religious wonders"

• I can bet my life on it being a real corpse, I visited her last year when I went to Europe, I also visited padre pio who's body is also incorupt.

What Girls Said 3

• I do think there could be many universes, but they would be in an entirely different physical dimension. So each one could be expanding in an infinite space.

• In it's own infinite space assigned for it.

• lol yeah I've read that book but maybe it's just so out of my mind that I refuse to imagine it lol

• I don't have an IQ of 160 in the end..

• You need to turn on the discovery channel, son

• Ahahaha, unfortunately they won't be able to give me answers for this neither, son :)

• My secret lab