What is your favorite classic novel you read in high school?

My favorite was One Flew Over The Cukoos Nest.

Most Helpful Guy

• In German literature my favorite classic was "Sansibar oder der letzte Grund" by a guy called Alfred Andersch. I don't know if this book was ever translated into English but I absolutely loved it. It's a great novel and I actually ended up reading it one more time when I was already out of high school. The book plays during the early years of the Nazi Regime in the very north of Germany, in a small village/town at the coast of the North Sea. The story is about 6 very different characters with completely different backgrounds who by accident meet in this village. Most of them are there because they want to escape from there over the sea to Sweden (Sweden and Switzerland were both neutral during the war and many people from Germany tried to escape to these countries). One woman is a jew and fears death because of this, one young guy is a passionate communist and one man is a protestant reverend who fears death or imprisonment and torture at the hands of the SS because he is a collector of art that was deemed "unworthy" by the Nazis (wooden statues of naked women and Greek goddesses etc.) and because he is a passive opponent of the Nazis. There's also an old, grumpy fisherman who looks after his disabled wife in a very loving way and two more characters I forgot. What's great about the book is that all the characters tell a part of the whole story from their own perspective. Every few pages the focus changes again. What's also great is that much of the story is about the interactions between these characters and how they plan to escape. There's some great character development and the story is very catching because you really get immersed into the fears and hopes of these people. It feels very real and authentic. Some of them eventually manage to escape but some sadly leave too late and don't make it anymore.

In English class we unfortunately didn't read so many books because I learned English in school as a third language. However, when I lived in America as an exchange student, we read Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" and I completely fell in love with it. What I like especially about "The Great Gatsby" is that is incredibly packed with interesting motifs and symbols. There's tons of room for interpretations. I also liked the setting a lot because I really like these New England settings. That's also part of the reason why I like Stephen King's books a lot, which almost exclusively take place in Maine :-). It's a place I would enjoy living at.

Most Helpful Girl

• The Crysalids.

What Guys Said 7

• 'The Brothers Karamazov' probably left the biggest impression at the time. Asking to pick a favorite is hard, different books are great for different reasons.

• Probably Les Miserables or 1984

• Of Mice and Men

• Lord of the Flies

• Les Miserables (unabridged...1,463 pages).

I read it for fun.

• of mice and men. with out a flipping doubt

• 1984 by far.

What Girls Said 3

• Probably Where the Red Fern Grows :-)

• A Streetcar Named Desire. I loved it.

• "Zeno's consciousness" by Italo Svevo :)