Do you prefer to read with a Kindle/Nook or an actual book? Why?

I prefer to read holding an actual book, though using my Kindle every now and then is fine.

Most Helpful Guy

• i only read actual books i dont feel like wasting money on a kindle or whatever, to me its useless i would rather build a book shelf to store all my books in
    my brother argues that he has 100+books and it takes up no space

• Where is he storing all of these books? Haha, he needs to show me his skills.

• never been there :(
      actually i did but i was 4 so i dont remember it :/

but hey i am down to just go to the library 😚

• Yeah, I was younger when I went to. I'd like to go back now that I'm older and can remember even more. You can definitely hit the library. :)

Most Helpful Girl

• *i like e-books because they can hold an entire library - quite useful when traveling. i wish the textbooks i had came in e-book version. would've saved a lot of back pain.
    *if it's a book i know i'll doodle from, like a self-help book, i prefer the real thing

*overall, i prefer paper books b/c i spend enough time looking at a screen. the public library is my friend :)

• Oh, man. I forgot all about textbooks in general. The struggle is real. I do wish they had e-book versions of those when I was going to school, too! Trying to cram all of my materials into my backpack freshman year of high school was like trying to solve a puzzle.

The public library is my friend, too! *High five.* ... and I'm not just saying that because I'm a library media specialist either...

Okay, maybe I am just a bit.

• Tell me about it! When I attended professional school, they had us buy these 1000 page text books for each class. it was so funny what people did to lug them around. i've seen people use actual luggage! half-way through i resolved to just cut mine up - rip the binding and separate by chapter

• I can't blame anyone that used luggage! That's a smart idea for you... just as long as you were planning to keep them, haha. The issue I have with textbooks is how expensive they are and then not really using them in classes. Such a waste of money and space.

What Guys Said 12

• Believe it or not, I've still never used a kindle in my entire life. Not one single time.

I would definitely rather use a book anyway. If I have a book, I can hold it easier and it's more natural for me (since we've been reading books for centuries now.) Plus, if I drop a book in the water, I can allow it to dry and read it. If I drop a kindle, it would be ruined.

Technology can be a great thing. But it can also be a terrible thing. I feel like our generation (especially our generation and younger) are allowing technology to take our their lives.

• All valid points. :) However, it depends on the water that you dropped the book in as that may completely destroy the book as well, haha.

• @Remonster I never said I would NEVER use an e-reader. I said I strongly PREFER using a real book. That is cool there are water proof kindles but I know they must cost a LOT more (cost in general is a reason why I prefer a book to a kindle.)

• @CincinnatiRedsfan Fair enough. The initial cost is higher than buying a few books. But once you have a reader you can source the e-books from pretty much anywhere, including less legal avenues.

• I like books, but I prefer e-readers. E-readers offer numerous convenient benefits that books don't, such as chapter-skipping, search-functionality, word-definition-lookup (very handy when reading in a foreign language), a backlight for reading in the dark, a display that pretty much feels like you're reading paper anyway and of course the ability to hold a whole library of books. Too convenient advantages to ignore, in my opinion.

On the other hand, physical books feel nicer in your hand, the simple action of flipping a page feels nice and you'll have a physical collection to show off if that's your thing. I also think that paper simply feels good to the touch. Physical works are also a lot easier to preserve over the ages than purely digital data.

Oh, and of course coffee-table picture books are the kind of books where e-readers simply fall short. Flipping through art-work or photographs is simply a lot more satisfying with a physical book.

So yeah, I like both for different reasons. But if you'd ask me to give up one or the other, I'd throw the physical books out. Just for myself that is, I really don't want real books to disappear as a whole.

• I didn't think about all of the search features... probably because I don't use them often, but I can see how beneficial they can be. :) The light to read in the dark has probably been my favorite part of using my Kindle, though!

Maybe I'm just cheap, though, as I still get most of my books from the public library, so I'm not taking up a lot of space at home and saving money at the same time, haha.

• Nothing wrong with borrowing books. I do it too because I feel little need to build up a book-collection.

• Yeah, same here. I'm usually good with reading a book once and then giving it back to the library. :)

• I think real books will become like vinyl records... you get them as a gift or collectors edition for your very favorite books!

I prefer to my kindle to be honest... the old school one with the e-ink, not a back light that hurts my eyes... it is light, holds all my books and even some great speakers to play music without another device. plus lots of books are published on there with new writers that could never afford full book publishing.

• Definitely a book. I like to be able to hold it in my hand and turn the pages with my hands. Also, I find that reading from a device tends to be harder on my eyes that from a book.

• I prefer the actual book

• My phone. It's more convenient.

• tbh i like a kindle better. It's more practical for holding your whole library, and from what I've seen, the device is light and quite easy on the eyes.

• Actual book hands down... an e-book just... isn't the same

Plus, I can't wait to buy a house so I can build my own library in one of the rooms!!!

• Real books, that natural feeling is unbeatable :p

• An actual book. A kindle might be more convenient but I actually like going to the book store.

• There's nothing like the experience of opening your favorite book, sliding you fingers across its hard back case, turning a page and getting a paper cut!

You just can't get that excruciating pain from from a kindle, its not the same!

• I mean, you can beat yourself over the head with a Kindle. You might break the Kindle, though.

• @YusiBear "Also, doesn't a tablet or phone in a way nullify an eBook?" No, not quite. You can read e-books on your smartphone and tablet but the reading experience is like reading from a computer monitor because they use the same kind of screen technology. Most E-readers have e-ink screens. They are passive screens that only refresh when contents on the screen does. It strains the eyes less. The better e-ink screens are pretty much as comfortable to read as if you were reading a piece of paper. Secondly, e-ink also has the advantage of long battery life. Much longer than any smartphone and tablet combined.

• Lastly, e-ink reads way better in sunlight, unlike the LCD-screens found on smartphones and tablets. E-ink is a technology that has to be experienced before you are sold on it.

• I don't have a kindle/nook. I always read with a paper book.

What Girls Said 16

• I prefer actual books. I like physically holding the book and turning the pages. It just makes the experience better in my opinion :)

• I prefer actual books just because after I read them I like to keep them on my shelf. But I do love my ereader, I mean it's lighter, more convenient and you can take multiple books and it doesn't take extra space. Plus I find it more comfortable holding a ereader then a physical book. But physical books are also pretty awesome, I mean they don't need to be charged you can actually see how much in the book you are (I know you can also see with ereaders but I like to actually see it, like seeing how further in your bookmark is)

• Nothing can beat the feel of holding an actual book, the smell of books, turning the pages etc.

Kindles are nice! I have one and I love it! They are really convenient since I have like over 700 books on it and carrying that amount in actual books would be a nightmare.

• Ahhh, your first sentence. So much yes. <3 However, that's an excellent second point. You save a lot of space that way, too! Haha.

• Lol yep I love reading. I have like over 2000 ebooks. And I had to give away most of my hardback books cause they were taking up space. at least this way wherever I go, I have my books with me.

• A real book of course... I love the smell of pages and the older they get, the more special it is... Sometimes I wonder, if we can even see paper in 2072. Well, reading an e book is like reading stuff from a website. You know you read it but you aren't satisfied fully.

• You're so right. I wonder about that myself. I've been asked that question often about the fate of books since I work in a library media center. I would like to think that there are enough of us actual book lovers out there that they will never die off, even though everything is moving towards online or electronic formats.

• /i like ebooks because i tend to lose my place but real books will always have a place in my heart <3

• Actual book.
    My eyes hurt from staring at the screen while reading.
    I find books more convenient.
    Flipping through pages, highlighting, marking with notes... I guess I just prefer paper.

• Most of us stare at screens so much as it is, too. It's nice to get a break by reading an actual book.

• I also prefer real books! :) I have a few ebooks on my phone, but I only read those when I am outside, bored and without internet.

• An actual book. A book smells nice and the pages feel nice between my fingers. So book for me.

• I prefer an actual book. Kindles and stuff give me headaches after a long period of time whereas I can just use reading glasses for a normal book and I'm good.

• I rather use a PC. Reading real books make me go cross eyed for a bit.

• I don't like how kindle looks.

• A book! Tak

• *Taking away the book just makes reading less enjoyable for me.

• Yeah, I'm with you! I can speed read through the books because I'm so into them, but that doesn't seem to be the case with e-books, even when reading the same books/genres.

• Exactly!

• I like both, depends on the situation. But I prefer to own a physical copy of the book, if I can.

• I prefer actual books for things I want to remember or pay attention to but I read a lot of online things like fan fiction too.

• I like my kindle. It's easy and I don't have to go to the store to get another one.

• It is a time saver, for sure!

• Super lazy when it comes to books. . . I do have a collection of them. They smell amazingly, so when I need that book smell. I go and smell a book with my kindle in hand 😂

• Hahaha, nothing beats the smell of a book!

• actual book.