Is 12 mbps wifi a good choice for a few college students?

My roommates and I buying a few utilities this year. And we want something cheap but relaible because we all need wifi for course related software and also streaming youtube, hulu or netflix.

So, is this enough for us?

• Good choice
  • Not enough, bad choice
  • See results

Most Helpful Guy

• Actually my wi-fi is slower than that. 12 is good enough for one but for simultaneous usage with different people it would suck hairy balls.

What Guys Said 8

• I am using router and wifi speed is 72mbps it works fine but takes few seconds youtube videos to start and sometimes becomes loading, so you may consider another option

• 1MB = 8Mb

MB = Megabyte

Mb = megabit

So 12Mbps is only 1.5 MBps and most conncects don't perform to their max and run slower when more devices are connected to them. Just to put it into perspective, an average selfie is about 2-4MB.

• So yea I recommend you get at least 25-30mbps. Because it'll be a nightmare if someone decides to do any gaming, netflix, or torrenting.

• Whatever you say dude. I'm speaking from personal experience. 12Mbps can even be troublesome for 2 people if someone hops on netflix or a video game.

• That's not very good if you want to stream TV and use school related software. Unless you have the time to wait around all day while it buffers.

• Yes, it's a good choice for WiFi speed ,

• I think you need more for streaming... if that's your dl speed via wifi get something faster.

• Make sure you have a decent router as well.

• 4. But I'm super cheap. But good wifi is worth it. Thank you for your help

• Np, glad I can help ya out

• lol I can't even watch Netflix alone with my 64 mb/s router. Any cheap routers are for one person.

• Is that the speed of the router or the speed of the actual internet service, if it's the speed of the router, than I'd get a different router, not much you can do if it's the speed of the internet service unless an upgrade in speed is available.

• Yes I would say 12 MBps is fine. If you're mostly using it for academics and netflix it's more than enough. Only serious uber-gamers need more speed to lessen lag on graphics-intense games.

• I don't think any of us are taking gaming systems. My roommate and I love youtube. And I have hulu, so I'll probably get on that when bored. Do you have 12, and does it work nicely for you?

• It's should be illegal.

• It* filler filler

What Girls Said 0