You're out camping in the mountains and this happens... What do you do?

You're out hiking with friends and forgot your phone charger at the camp site. You somehow get seperated from the group, but lucky for you, you have a old compass so you at least know what direction the camp site is. You're walking back and its getting dark. You trip and fall and all of a sudden you get your hand caught in a bear trap. From a distance you see a Mountain lion , but it looks like its headed your way. You have a machete on you You realize you have a few choices. You can either try to hack your hand off and try to fight the mountain lion with the machete or hack it off and just run, Just lay there and take a gamble and hope it doesn't see or smell you, Or find peace with dying. What do you do?

You forgot your charger and your phone is dead. I forgot to imply that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Use some kind of object to help get my hand out of the trap. Like a rock or something. Wrap my hand up the best I can. Run the fuck out of there as fast as I can. If I have to face it. Guess I'll have to try some ways to scare the shit out of it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the better question is why would I be taking a phone on a camping trip anyway I always carry my K-Bar with me when out in the wilderness, as for the bear trap there ways to decompress the springs in them and cause the jaws to fall open releasing whatever is caught in them such as using your bodyweight or a knife to pry them open, unless it is one of the old huge double jawed ones then you need a special tool for it.

Once I removed the trap I'd rip or cut my shirt to apply pressure to the wound then prepare my knife and take my chances with the mountain lion since they hunt alone, and there is no way I'd b able to outrun one especially bleeding. If I fight I at least have a chance to survive.

After that is over assuming I won, if I was bleeding to much to make it back to town or camp, I'd quickly make a fire using the flint that I carry in addition to my knife, start a fire heat my blade up and preform cauterization to stop the bleeding. And if necessary harvest some meat from the lion I just killed to nourish myself and then get back to camp.

My father is a soldier and trained me in military survival and I have studied the United States Special forces survival and guerrilla warfare book/guide so I think I'd have a pretty good idea of what I'd need to do.

Even without my fathers teachings or the guide/book, basic survival techniques, tactics and instincts would be able to get your through this.

Even for those that don't camp or go out into the wilderness much it pays to know what to do and how to survive in such a scenario because you have no clue when you could be put into that situation. A lot of people have never though they'd be put into that kind of situation and thus never learned what they needed to do to survive and when actually put into that situation either learned the hard way or died.

• Good for you, but what about the average person who wouldn't really know what to do?

• If you can stand the pain you might be able to pry it off and maybe fight off the mountain lion which isn't going to be a walk in the park.

• Probably not and I can guarantee you, you won't be able to outrun one, and chances are if you're bleeding or sweating it has already picked up your scent.

What Girls Said 6

• so either way I lose my hand! well. i rather just stay still and hope he ignores me! lol

• Wow... don't think I'd have the courage to hack my hand off in the first place... so just sit there waiting to die, but then I'd probably hack it off if i was hyped up on adrenaline

• I'll die peacefully

• I would just lie there and wait for death to take me. I'm not about that life.

• I wouldn't be going back to the campsite alone and that close to nightfall. I do not need my charger that bad xD

• I would run and hide somewhere

What Guys Said 5

• Who needs a cell phone when you are camping?

You could just use the knife to release the leaver on the trap. Cut your shirt to apply pressure to the wound. Defend yourself from the mountain lion by using basic survival tactics.

Get the compass go back to camp, use your medical kit. Go to town or use an emergency radio to call in an injury.

The end.

• This. Holy shit.

• You dont really need to be to know you have options. If you got in a trap you would want to get out of it, just look at the trap and you can see the release on it, if not you can pry it off with your knife. Everyone knows to apply pressure to a wound so you dont bleed out. If you go camping you should always have a medical kit and a radio. And as for a mountain lion you are better off standing up to it then running.

• @meatballs21 lol that tweet comment was funny.

• hacking your arm off would just make it all worse. You will not have the strength left to run or hide from it or defend yourself if you chop your arm off. Trust me losing blood takes away your bodily functions. It's a scenario you're just not gonna escape from unless that's one pathetic fighting mountain lion.

• Also having a cell phone wouldn't matter since you get no reception out there unless it's a satellite phone which hardly anyone even has or uses outside of the military and survival nuts.

• Hacking it off is stupid, massive blood loss, infection, etc. I'd use the arm that I have too fend myself. With my hand caught in the trap, I'm already losing blood, so it's just a matter of time until I die, so I'd rather go out with a fight. What better way than a mountain lion?

• Last option, try to bend open the trap with the machete! :D

• I would pull the pin out of the bear trap and escape