What nation played the biggest part in winning World War 2?

So, Who in your own opinion, Gave the most and fought the hardest to defeat Nazi Germay / Japan / Italy.

A) Britain -

What nation played the biggest part in winning World War 2?

Many people think as soon as WW2 started, The USA was instantly involved, When actually, Britain was left to fight Germany completely on its own for an entire 17 Months before the US finally helped, Doing which they defended Britain from Nazi invasion, Had of they failed, D-Day would have been impossible to mount and an allied invasion of Europe almost insurmountable.
Total British deaths - 450,900 (0.94% of its entire population)

B) America -

Undeniably contributed the money to win WW2. Single handedly fueled the war effort with US Dollars in lend lease to Britain and Russia, And supported a large army of its own. Almost singlehandedly defeated the Japanese Empire, And played a large part in the final months of WW2 in Europe. The US air force along with the British RAF bombed Germany into submission.
Total American Deaths - 419,400 (0.32% of its entire population).

C) The Soviet Union -

Undeniably sacrificed the most of its people. Stalin (Leader of USSR) said ''The war was won with American money, British Defiance and Soviet Blood''.
The USSR Bared the full force of the German war machine, And ground the German army down and bled it dry, But it came at an incredible price of human slaughter. The Germans pushed so far into Russia (A land gain almost the size of Europe!) and the Russians had to push the Germans back by simply sending men into the slaughter until the Germans literally ran out of ammunition / resources and were overun.
Total USSR deaths - 24,000,000+ (14.24%+ of its entire population)

• Great Britain
    29% (5)9% (3)16% (8)Vote
  • United States Of America
    41% (7)18% (6)26% (13)Vote
  • Soviet Union
    18% (3)58% (19)44% (22)Vote
  • All Three Contributed Equally.
    12% (2)15% (5)14% (7)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
5|17

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say the us and Soviet Union equally but I said the Us because they were first on the list. The Soviet Union commuted the most people and kept Germany from reaching their Capitol while also liberating most of their camps. And during the end the heavily beat Germany during the winter driving their last forces back.
    But the Us supplie a lot of military weapons. Also evaluate they came in later they had fresher men. The us was involve with d day which allowed a foothold in Europe to really be established. Try also got the last strings of the war like all the nazi parties communist allies in Asia. And other stuff if I think of more I'll get back to you.

0|0
    0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Much of the material given to BOTH the Soviet Union and Great Britain came from the US, thanks to FDR's Lend Lease Act, among other things. Everything from food (over $1 billion dollars not adjusted for inflation to the Soviet Union alone), boots and shoelaces to factory equipment. In addition to improving the horrid state of transportation in the Soviet Union at the time.

Although, the Americans did not incur as many casualties as the Soviet Union or fight the war as long as Great Britain, it is doubtful either ally could have survived without the massive amount of aid from the US. Brave as those boys were, you can't very well win a war if you can't shoot back at the invaders, or you start starving to death.

In fact the US gave $50 billion (NOT adjusted for inflation) of assistance during the war. Not to mention the expertise of workers that help update the roads in the Soviet Union, and help industrialize the nation.

It also allowed for a specialization in weapons development. The Western powers developed the more high tech weapon systems, and the Soviet Union developed more close quarters fighting weapon systems, which was a huge part of finally defeating Germany.

If you are asking who suffered the most, the answer is the Soviet Union.

If you are asking who fought the Nazis the longest, it was Great Britain.

If you are asking who did the most to win the war, it was the USA.

history.state.gov/milestones/1937-1945/lend-lease

www2.warwick.ac.uk/.../lendlease.pdf

(Page 40 for the fact sheet, feel free to read the rest if you want)

0|3
    0|0
    • A lot of the people commenting on this post think that the Soviets did the most because they lost the most soldiers. All the Soviet Union really did to help was act as a cumulative human shield.

• More than a human shield, I was just pointing out with out food, weapons, an improved logistics, they would most likely have lost.

• I think you deserve MHO. That was a good thorough response.

What Girls Said 4

• I know America like to take all the credit as if they won it by themselves. Which isn't true it was a joint effort. Somebody needs to tell Hollywood this. I'm pretty sure they must teach a different version of events in schools in USA compared to the rest of the world. Lol

0|2
    0|1
  • I honestly have no idea. All I know is the USA only helped with making japan drop out. Though Germany kept attacking but did a shitty job at it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know. It was a dumb move on the Nazis by invading the Soviet Union. But would they able to win without the the other two, namely the US? No.

0|0
    0|0
  • once we came in (took us forever) then shit went down

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 16

• the soviet union, hands down.

They paid the highest prize in lives (double that of all the other allies COMBINED), they destroyed the main force of the wermacht in stalingrad, THEY held the front against a full on attack when everyone else had failed (i know britain had won the battle of britain, but that was only against the luftwaffe, not the full german army).

To claim USA won the war would be bullshit. Yes, they contributed and shortened it by a couple years, but all prognoses show that the allies would've still won. To say britain won the war would be a flat out lie, even if they ensured it was not lost when they held out the wermacht. They simply did not have the manpower to launch a full scale mainland invasion, and if they did they would've been blown to smithereens.

And the famous allied D-day? Well, again, thanks to russia, most of the forces were off at the eastern front.

But where are the resistance? The convoy sailors? The freedom fighters? WW2 wasn't won with russian blood alone! It was won by an united EUROPE! An Europe that refused to surender and give up even when they were defeated! THAT fighting spirit won world war 2. Because if hitler had had full support in the countries he invaded, he would have suceeded. He would have had an army large enough to take stalingrad and win the eastern front, he would have taken all of Europe...

And if THAT had happened... then you americans need to know this! You would never have had enough manpower to win europe! not with britain's help either.
    And lastly, the tide of war turned... in stalingrad. What does that speak about who "won" the war for the allies?

0|2
    0|1
  • I'd have to say the Soviet Union. Don't get me wrong, the United States and Great Britain did a LOT to bring an end to Hitler's demonic reign; the British depleted German's air force and the United States weakened them tremendously with the invasion at Normandy (D-Day), but the Russians lost so many more people in the East. And they captured Berlin.

From what I've read, that's actually why there is still a great deal of tension today between the US and Russia. I see a lot of t-shirts that say "United States: Back-to-back World War Champs". We're not. We didn't win World War I OR World War II. Yes, it was a combined effort, but the Russians suffered the most.

0|2
    0|0
    • with respect, wermact were broken in stalingrad in 42. By the time of the D-day, the war was more or less over, and they all knew it.
      Yes, the American soldiers spearhaded utah and omaha, and you did provide some much needed reserves to a damaged British army. But i'm going to have the balls to say that the vermact were defeated in stalingrad.

Everything after that was just a fanatical german fight against the invitable end. Or rather, hitler forcing his men to fight. Most of them knew they had lost even as early as in 1943

• Um as far as WW1 goes... I believe the Allies would have won without the U. S. but we certainly helped for a swift end. France, Britain and Germany were all exhausted when we arrived. Russia had already surrendered and murdered its own King and gave Germany tons of land as part of the surrender. So the Germans were able to shift over thousands of Soldiers to help on the Western front. Without the U. S. numbers it would have taken ages to end the war. Especially if Austria-Hungary and Bulgaria were able to continue aiding Germany at later times.

• If anything Germany played the biggest part just in a negative manner. All the above had their own problems though. The Soviets suffered by far the most losses and killed the most Germans. They also held out practically alone against the Germans. The English deserve the most credit for holding fast after France, Greece and really all of Europe had fallen. They held out against bombing campaigns and contributed through the entire war. And finally the U. S. deserve's credit for its involvement in the Western front effectively splitting Germany's forces on many fronts and dividing its forces. They fought in Africa (with British help) they landed on Sicily and Italy, (with British/Canadian hlep) and finally in France at Normandy Beach. Also the U. S. was the only one to continue fighting Japan and to aid China that was getting slaughtered by Japan. Even Japan had attacked Britain early in the war but the U. S. was the only one to remain fighting Japan to the end of the war. And lastly it often goes unnoticed but the U. S. gave thousands of planes, tanks and trucks along with guns and ammunition to both Britain and Russia. The U. S. did however not join until 1941 though. I picked D because they all had a large part to play in the war.

0|0
    0|0
  • In case someone has forgotten which flag was raised over Reichstag in 1945 and who killed more nazis than anyone else:
    waralbum.ru/wp-content/comment-image/6193.jpg

0|1
    0|1
  • In human sacrifice terms it had to be Russja

0|1
    0|0
  • I think you find America nearly lost the war for the British, America would not release any urgent supplies until they got paid first vast amounts of gold, silver, had to be in American hands before the supply ships left port and if the treasure ship got sunk at sea that was just bad luck to the British and if the supply ships got sunk bad luck to the British. Until America entered the war that was when they gave credit. It's only been a few years since England has paid off the war debit

0|1
    0|1
  • The Soviet Union only "contributed' by acting as the human shield for the rest of the Allies, that's it.

Saying that the Soviet Union contributed as much to the war as the US or England is like saying that the guy who did nothing but get the shit kicked out of him by a mugger did as much as the guys who actually defeated the mugger.

0|0
    0|3
    • And the only reason why the Soviets joined the Allied Forces was because they knew that Germany was gonna go after them eventually and they didn't want to be shatted on by both Germany and the Allies. They took the coward's way out.

• Who gave the most? Russia like a Huuuuuge percent of their men died to the point that it's still unbalanced today. Who was the most important? There wasn't a most important all of them were equally important without one the other probably would've lost except America since they were almost done with the nuclear bomb at that point

0|0
    0|0
    • it would've taken you MONTHS after the two you dropped to enrich enough for a third bomb. You can't just "make an attom bomb", it takes a lot of time to make the nuclear parts of it.
      The bomb didn't matter in Europe.
      In fact, it's speculated that if it had not been for the rukjan attack by norwegian sabouteurs, the germans would've possibly had a bomb in 1945.

But yeah, point is... the bomb couldn't have won a full force ww2. Because it would not be possible to use it at a large enough scale.

• Show All
    • But the way the war was with Japan they were surrounded by the navy with no other land around. We could have waited. The threat was real to them

• drop a couple nukes on nazi capitols and they wouldve surrendered too because they didn't have nukes yet probably wouldve had a cold war with them that eventually turrent into a real nuclear fallout but I don't know

• Stalin's quote sums it up.

0|1
    0|0
  • The Soviets.

0|1
    0|0
  • It is the Soviet Union.. The war at the Eastern front is more massive than the Western front.

0|0
    0|0
  • The US didn't do much against Hitler before D-Day (June 6, 1944), thus waited, waited a whole 5 years, letting the UK holding the baby from 1 September 1939 till then.
    For Hitler ally Franco in Spain, in 1936 US Secretary of State Cordell Hull moved to ban what would have been legitimate arms sales to the democratically elected left-wing Popular Front government of the Second Spanish Republic, forcing the Popular Front to turn to the Soviet Union for support.
    When Germany bombed Guernica, the US used... words.
    When Germany invaded Poland, the US used... words.
    When Germany bombed Rotterdam, the US used... words.
    When Germany bombed London, the US used... words.
    When Germany bombed Coventry, the US used... words.

But Standard Oil Of New Jersey (later Esso, now Exon) continued to supply Germany with fuel. The fuel they needed for their planes and tanks.
    Russia too only started moving when Hitler launched Operation Barbarossa.

It looks like as well Wall Street as Stalin were not really against Hitler invading Europe.

0|0
    0|1
    • Finally, the USSR lost tens of millions of people to defeat the Germans.

• America because we're better than any other country out there.

0|2
    0|3
    • Pretty fucking arrogant of you...

• Show All
    • Typical stereotype. Look who's arrogant know?

• Typical American? Its okay to hate that American but the whole populace? Come on man. Plus everyone hates America for intervening. The one time that we wait and stay out of a European war the world hates us? Its kind of a Damned if you do damned if you don's scenario. Also why is having a smaller military than Portugal bad? The U. S. and much of the world was in an economic depression so why should money be spent on that? Besides the countries around us Mexico/Canada are pretty good allies and not necessarily war powerhouses so why did we need a large army? We had a navy to protect ourselves and that was what was needed until we got involved with other wars that we didn't start. I am not defending the anon poster who is acting like an idiot but watch out or you may sound just as ignorant.

• I'd say the Soviet Union

0|0
    0|0
  • Germany the Soviets, Japan the Americans, Italy the Italians.

0|0
    0|0