White people, do you lock the door to your house?

Sorry, I know I'm being stereotypical, but I've seen so many lifetime movies where they just walk in and shut the door behind them. Half the time they dont even shut the door all the way. Then they wonder how someone broke in. I know its tv, but I'm just wondering if you lock your doors in reality?

• I'm white and I lock the door behind me.
  • I'm white and I dont feel that I need to lock the door behind me.
  • I'm not white.

Most Helpful Guy

• TV, dude. They don't lock it because it distracts viewers from the story. Same reason they rarely turn off lights or close car doors. Well, there are production reasons too, but mainly it's for artistic reasons.

Most Helpful Girl

• Haha, this is so funny. I was roommates with two white women and they had the hardest time remembering to lock the damn front door. I would get so pissed when I could leave at 6:55 in the morning and come back at 10 at night and the door was unlocked. Who wants to walk into a dark unlocked house?
    I always lock the doors, and I don't think my being biracial has much to do with it. But I was wondering the same thing, if a lot of white people just didn't lock doors.

• Lol glad I wasn't the only one haha

• Thanks for mho. And thanks for GaG, now I have a better understanding haha

What Guys Said 17

• Yes we do lock the doors behind us. Also you should for insurance reasons.

• If they investigate your house and find you never locked your house your insurance may not pay out. You may be seen as not taking enough care.

• Oh well yea he definitely deserved to pay

• Exactly, no excuse for that. He use to drive trucks where I worked and people use to ring up complaining about his driving to. He was that type of person.

• I don't only lock the door: we have steel reinforced doors, CCTV and spyholes to see wh rings.

• Goodness gracious! Who you hiding out from? lol

• All that was included when we bought this condo.(high crime stats in this city)

• I always do. After they broke up in my house in the morning, while no one was in there, when I was younger, I got paranoid about someone breaking in so now I lock the door when I'm not at home, and when we go to bed.
    When they broke into my house they broke the window, so it didn't matter if the door was locked, but I still lock it.

• Lol my mom even locks the house door to the garage. My grandpa actually bolted down the actual garage door to his house.

• Better to have more security than not enough. The door of my parent's house is reinforced, it was like that when they bought the house, but that won't help if they break a window.

• Yea our windows aren't easy to get into. Itts made a certain way

• It doesn't have anything to do with being white...
    What is up with GAG and race? Sheesh...

• I only said "white" people cause of Lifetime. Each movie features a white person not locking their house door. Yet they lock the car door.

• My front door is always locked, not because I am paranoid or anything just because it's what we've always done, habit from when we lived in a really, really bad neighborhood, basically the hood. A lot of people around here don't though a lot of people own guns though to and the neighborhoods are well protected and patrolled by the cops so we're all pretty safe.

• It depends on where you live!

I live in the city in an apartment building, so I lock my door.

My friend from high school lived in a house in a nice neighbourhood In the same city so only locked it at night.

My friend from childhood lived in a house in a normal neighbourhood in a small town and so never locked it.

It's not so much about being white as it is the sort of nice little small town living that movies like that depict.

• I dont live in a bad area but my folks have a fit if that door isn't locked. We lock the front door, back door, garage door, and all the windows

• Yeah, I do.
    Really, though, where I live, there's not much you have to be afraid of. It's a really low-crime area, and the people that live around here that might actually think about breaking in know how people are around here with their rifles next to their beds and all that haha Usually if there's a break-in, it's someone from another area, or someone who just escaped from prison and is trying to hide. Most of the crime around here is dui's and drug busts.

• Yea I live in a low crime area as well. However, prisoners do escape a lot here too

• When I was growing up we didn't lock the door noone did but now we do.

• My city is infested with gangs so leaving my door unlocked must be a marvellous idea...

Yes, I do lock the door.

• Well thats smart that you lock the door. Be safe

• Even though I have police that actually live in my apartment complex (Some even bring their cop cars home) I still lock my doors, its just a habit and a good one at that.

• Yes a very good habit

• We have two big dogs, if you enter unwanted, that's your problem. White and we don't bother.

• I always lock the door behind me. Security is important.

• What does race have to do with locking the door? I would thing everyone
    should lock their doors.

• I don't where I am now but I certainly did other other places where I have lived. In the county where I am it makes the front page of the community paper when someone steals a flowerpot. There are 200,000 people and there have been four murders in the last ten years. three domestics and a bar fight. I tell this to people from Europe (just about everyone has guns here) and they can't make sense of it. It just doesn't fit their concept of America. It's not a rich area, only a bit above average.

• Lol dang a flowerpot... Well thats kinda good though

• since this is just another stupid racist post i will say it. only if black people are outside

• Wow now thats racist. I'm not even black if that possibly referred to me.

• ok so you can say whatever about "white" people but anything about "black" people are racist. got it!

• by the way i wasn't talking about you just proving a point. thanks for you help

• Of course we do. you gotta be kidding me with this question.

• A lot of people don't lock their doors around here. It must depend on where you live.

• Blame it on Lifetime movies. They got me wondering..

• @lace1228 I live in californa. You lock your doors here.

• 0|0
    • Whats with the Trump link? Would he make you feel safer if he was president or something?

• Just saying if your bashing White people take look whose winning

• I'm not bashing white people... Trumps a pretty cool guy far as I know. So shut that shit up. I was just wondering if the white people in reality were anything like the ones on Lifetime

What Girls Said 21

• What you're seeing in movies is sparing the extra seconds of the actual scene being played out. When someone busts through a door and barely closes the door to get to the living room to say their lines, how mundane it is to watch them set their things down, lock the door, take off their shoes, take off their jacket, put their keys on the hook... no... in films and TV it's just -enter room- (then) -being speaking/acting-

But to answer your question, I always lock my door behind me. When I was growing up we didn't lock our doors most times, and occasionally forgot to at night. But then when I was about 12, home alone, I remember I locked the door because my mother told me to while I was alone, and sure enough I remember hearing someone trying the knob. I looked outside and never saw a neighbour or anyone, so I had no clue who it could have been. Scared the shit out of me. Since that point on, we locked them, and I do to this day. It's a scary world out there.

• Lol thanks for explaining

• Lol of course we lock doors we are not some movie characters but actually people with a grip on reality (at least most of us), duh 😂

• Hahaha well thanks for the tip

• everyone gets mad at me bc i automatically lock the door when people are home... its a weird thing to get mad about.

• Of course we do its stupid not to lol

• Lol speak for yourself. Some people are admitting to not locking that door

• I'm white and of course I lock the door - when I'm in the house and when I'm not home, the door is locked. I even close and lock the first floor windows when no one's going to be home. And now I have a savvy Doberman who either barks or comes to get me when someone is coming to the door - before they've even had the chance to knock, lol.

• I always lock the door. I don't even open the door for people any more. Had a break in last month from opening the door.. So yeah not again. I'm
    Just thankful I wasn't home and it wasn't me opening the door. Probably would of been bad.

• I'm so glad you lock them now. Good looking out

• Reasons I always lock the door anyways. But I'm glad too. Can't trust anyone on the other side.

• I live in the middle of no where in the South, with a drive way close to a third of a mile long, and I lock my doors, have knives under my mattress, and my step dad has a gun somewhere (I've never thought to ask him where he keeps it).

• Yes this is what I'm talking bou! Better safe than sorry :)

• Absolutely... always

• I'm white. I lock the door when we go to bed but I don't lock the door during the evening or the afternoon.

• You dont worry that some random could just walk in on you?

• Break it down? What kind of doors y'all got?

• It's just a standard front door, but without a handle, so you need keys to actually get in. I don't actively lock it when I close it, but there's no way of getting in unless you have a key or you break the door down.

• I'm white and I always lock the door behind me whether I'm home or not. Especially when I lived by myself. I don't/didn't live in a bad area either.

When I lived with my parents, however, they never locked the door. Somebody was always home and there wasn't really a threat of anybody breaking in. (It just never happened in that area/was very rare) Everyone watched out for each other in that neighborhood and if anybody came up to our house who didn't belong somebody would say something. Also, we had a dog who sounded like she would rip your face off even though she was a sweet heart haha.

• Yea Like I dont even live in a bad area. I kinda live in a suburbia or something, but I just think doors should be locked regardless

• We do now, even though we live in a generally safe suburban neighborhood with a low crime rate. Growing up, we left it unlocked, left the house at some points without locking it and thought nothing of it. Not anymore.

• Wow glad you lock them now

• I don't know how many people can honestly think it's a good idea to not lock your doors, but I don't trust people. So I always do.

• I won't lock the door if I'm home and it's during the day. I will lock the doors when I go out, or when I go to bed.

• My family has never locked our door. We actually go on trips for days with the door open XD

I have very chill, free-flowing parents lol

• Lol y'all must dont have valuables

• We live in a gated community with security people. And we're friends with our neighbors. so, it doesn't matter really

• Everyone with half a brain does that.

• I only lock the door when I leave home or at night.

• What of someone randomly walked in on you?

• Lol well okay

• Actually it would take some time to get that gun out & loaded considering it's locked away. Thats the law. Besides I live in a relatively safe area.

• I always lock the door.

• I live in a condo and the door is always locked just because that's what I was taught I guess.

• I am white and I don't Lock my doors. Simply because I know my way around a gun & I have four throughout the house loaded and ready to go. I don't play, & I don't miss.
    But there are a lot of reasons people (not just picking a color) lock their doors...
    Some people have kids.
    Some have stalkers.
    Some have peeping toms.
    Some have crazy exs that wanna fuck them up.
    Some are paranoid.
    Some are drug dealers.
    ☝ just a few...

• Lol I thought I was the only person who wondered this as well... Lifetime definitely knows how to make people look dumb

• I lock the door when I'm in my apt, but I grew up in a very small town where a lot of people didn't lock their doors unless Thet were going to be gone for a while in case a family member needed something. People do randomly walk around in your house looking for you or borrowing something, but rarely do people steal. It seems weird now that I don't live there. Now that Meth and heroin have gotten so bad, it may not be the same in small towns either.

• Wow this is crazy

• You guys are seriously nice... People in my neighborhood dont even share sugar lol

• I think part of the reason is that the little grocery store wasn't open on Sundays, the gas station closed at 10 pm, the closest supermarket was a half hour or more away, etc. People have to depend on each other more in rural areas.