Who are the 'brown' people everyone's talking about?

Are biracial kids brown?

Most Helpful Girl

• Where I live, the term "brown people" is typically used to describe people of Middle Eastern and South Asian (i. e. Indian, Pakistani, etc.) descent.

It may also be used to describe Hispanic people. Or, basically anyone who is dark-skinned, but isn't considered "black".

It may seem a little unclear in terms of who "counts" as black versus who "counts" as brown, but that's because race is a social construct and there really isn't a clear/objective delineation.

What Guys Said 3

• I suppose brown is a question of perspective

• Who came up with the brown term anyway?

• I hope this is not another race baiting question. Race is a social construct. Color is not. There are brown people around the world... not just biracial kids.

• Not just? So biracial kids are brown people?

• So at what color does white end and brown start and when does black start?

• Again, race is a social construct. Color is not. People refer to the white, brown or black "race." It has nothing to do with color. Race turns out to be a matter of opinion. Your question is about race. You will not get an exact answer about where one starts and the other begins.

• Those with the level of melanin in their skin that makes them look brown

• Does that mean Spaniards and Italians are brown people in summer?

• If they look brown they are brown, but popular opinion holds that they are those from India and Arabian people

What Girls Said 5

• 0|0
  • Brown are Hispanic people like Black is African-American and White is Caucasian. It's just the race for the ethnicity.

• Does that mean Indians are not brown?

• Since you don't care, I won't tell you that race does not equal ethnicity.

• But you just did. So what was your point exactly?

• no idea.. maybe i am one of them.. but i m not a kid..

• I think some people call Indians brown. Cause most Indians have brownish skin tone

• How does that term make you feel?

• It doesn't bother me. I honestly don't care. :)
      Though, I know some Indians hate that term

• I think that's Indian, Hispanic and middle eastern.