Can someone help me understand American politics?

Like how does a private citizen like trump run for the GOP candidacy? He is not a Republican senator

Most Helpful Guy

• You don't have to be a senator first to run. Truthfully anyone that meets the basic requirements can run. Your average citizen can run. It's just most don't have the financial backing or fame to be noticed.

• this make sense, thanks

What Girls Said 3

• You don't have to be in office to run for president. Hilary Clinton hasn't held an office for several years now. Anyone can run for president if they file the paperwork.

• There are only 3 constitutional requirements for US presidency:
    1. must be born in US or have at least 1 parent of US citizenship when born
    2. must be at least 35
    3. must have resided in the US for at least 14 years

That's why a person like Trump can run. He meets all 3 requirements. Plus, he has tons of funds, which is like an unspoken 4th requirement these days.

• aha thanks man, understand it now

• Too complicated for me😁😁

What Guys Said 3

• There is no requirement that you must have previously served in any office to run for president. Any douche bag can run for president, and many do. All the Constitution requires to serve are president is that one be a native born American citizen 35 years of age or older.

• ahah i see

• There are actually 489 people currently registered with the Federal Election Commission to run for president in 2016. The public has never heard of most of them.

http://fec.gov/data/Form2Filer.do?format=html

Be sure to select President and 2016 election cycle, then click submit.

For example, one "person" running is actually a crawfish from Louisiana named Crawfish B. Crawfish, who filed on 7/2/2015. I wish I was making this up. The detail record can currently be found on the 2nd page of results.

• The senate is not parliament. There is independent elections for president and senators. I can see how you'd get mixed up though.

• Anyone can run for president, provided they meet the minimal requirements outlined in the Constitution. Holding public office is NOT a requirement.