Who is your favourite author?

For the readers! Who are your favourite authors and which books are your favourites of theirs?

I forgot to add.. when you mention an author, can you please mention the genre that they write? :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I like some Ernest Hemingway, and George Orwell. 1984 has to be one of my favorite books of all time.

• Have you read The Lion & The Unicorn?

• Ha, thanks :) thankfully reading is not something you need to relearn. We can pick up a book at any point and start enjoying it straight away... now, to find a quiet hour , a corner and a good read... ha!

• Hey thanks for the MHO!

What Guys Said 11

• Has to be Arthur Ransome, who wrote the Swallows and Amazons series of children's books. There are twelve in the series, plus an unfinished 13th.

Two of the books are based on places near where I live. Secret Water, a sailing and exploring adventure in the Walton Backwaters near Walton-on-the-Naze in Essex. The other is We Didn't Mean to go to Sea, a sailing adventure starting at Pin Mill on the river Orwell in Suffolk and is an unplanned crossing of the North Sea to Vlissingen (Flushing) in Netherlands.

Two more are on the Norfolk Broads, about 60-70 miles away. They are The Big Six and Coot Club.

Five are based on a ficticious combination of Coniston Water and Lake Windermere in the Lake District in the north west of England. They are Swallows and Amazons, Swallowdale, Winter Holiday, Pigeon Post and The Picts and the Martyrs.

Two and purely fiction, Peter Duck and Missee Lee.

The last, Great Northern, is loosly based round the Outer Hebrides islands off the north of Scotland.

The unfinished book, Coots in the North, was to be the ultimate meeting of all the different groups of children up in the lake district. The Swallows and the Amazon Pirates from the lakes, the D's, the Eels and the Mastodon from Walton, the Coots from the Norfolk Broads.

There are several biographies, and a modern day spin-off of four books by Julia Jones. These also based on the east coast of Suffolk.

• Neil Gaiman, writes fantasy, scifi, comics, screen plays, kids books (coralline)
    My favorite books from him have been Sandman (which is just a total mind trip) and American Gods

• Raymond Chandler not only because he smokes a pipe like me but because I stinking love Noir crime movies and books and Raymond Chandler is pretty much the father of Noir, and I love his Philip Marlowe character played and voiced by none other then the legendary Humphrey Bogart.

• Run, Baby, Run the Nicky Cruz story. Its not an author kind of deal but my all time favorite book and we also wrote each other when I was a kid

• Shel Silverstein his books, and poems make me feel happy and remind me of my child hood

i haven't read enough Ernest Hemmingway, Georg Orwell, or steinbeck, but i have read most of shel's stuff and i absolutely love it

• JK Rowling.

• I'll read just about any science fiction I can get my hands on, but I especially like Orson Scott Card, William Dietz, and Timothy Zahn

• willam shakespare. romeo & juliet

• Steven Pressfield

• Neal Stephenson writes science fiction-ish stuff. Some purely science fiction, some not, but science and of all things economics play large parts. My favorite is Anathem but a good start would be Snow Crash.

The late great Terry Pratchett wrote a lot of fantasy novels with a lot of humor and pathos. My favorite is Going Postal.

I second @Damiandash312. Besides the classic American Gods, the short stories A Study in Emerald and October in the Chair, as well as the children's book The Wolves in the Walls, are good to read.

Going way back, Edgar Allan Poe wrote some good creepy stuff, although I sometimes have trouble getting used to his style of prose.

Thomas Hardy is another good source, and although I disagree with his overall philosophy, it doesn't detract from the quality of the stories or especially his characters. Tess of the d'Urbervilles is my favorite and The Return of the Native makes the landscape almost become a character.

John le Carre's novels are good, although in some cases he is spectacularly wrong in his assessments of how things work in the real world. All of the novels tend to be downers with a few exceptions. The classic is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy but my favorite is The Night Manager.

• God, there is no better book than the Bible :)

What Girls Said 10

• I love Seanan McGuire. I'm convinced she's an actual superheroine. I really enjoy her professional writing, but she also advocates for a lot of groups in a genuinely smart and caring way. She's never afraid to say "I don't know about that. Can you explain it to me?" but doesn't take any bs either. I hope I can be even half as cool as her one day.

• There are so many great books that I couldn't choose a favourite, but I did write a myTake about my favourite books, I was thinking about it the other day and I missed out one of my favourites - one which I would like to recommend to @Mesonfielde as I think he would find it extremely interesting: The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. I won't say why but anyone who knows Meson and has read the book should kmow why.

But here is the myTake I wrote which shows a few of my all time favourite books...

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a9342-childhood-books-a-few-of-my-favourites

• • J. K. Rowling
    • Nicholas Sparks
    • Kiera Cass
    • Jenny Han
    • Suzanne Collins
    • Morgan Matson
    • Jennifer Niven
    • John Green
    • Veronica Roth

Harry Potter is my fave 💙 These are just a few of the many authors that I love

• • J. K Rowling, no doubt Harry Potter ♥
      • Nicholas Sparks - The Safe Heaven, The Last Ride
      • Kiera Cass - The Selection series
      • Jenny Han - To All The Boys I've Loved Before & PS I Still Love You
      • Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games trilogy ♥
      • Morgan Matson - Since You've Been Gone & Second Chance Summer
      • Jennifer Niven - All The Bright Places
      • John Green - Paper Towns, The Fault In Our Stars, Looking for Alaska
      • Veronica Roth - Divergent ♥

• I meant The Safe Haven and The Longest Ride sorry 😣

• Lois Duncan!! She is awesome!

And kind of like Christopher Pike as well.

I have other authors in mind but I don't know their names. :(

• Oh, there are so many 😍😍😍
    J. K. Rowling,
    Nicholas Spark,
    John Grisham,
    Michael Crichton,
    And Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are some of my favourites <3

• Ann M. Martin is my favorite author. I loved reading the Babysitter club series back when I was in middle school. Ah, memories!

• Lol I never remember author names but my favorite books are A dogs life and The giver.

• And the great Gatsby was cool. I read the book after the two movies though

• I don't have a favorite author, but my favroite book is Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein".

• gillian flynn -- since long before gone girl even existed. i like dark places.

• Stephenie Meyer. All twilight section