How do you react when close to police?

I normally stay out of trouble, especially when alone, but even if I'm doing nothing like walking around I admit to growing very defensive an a bit nervous when near a police officer. They could be driving past me an I drive super safe an try my best to give them no reason whatsoever to pull me over. I could be sitting at the coffee shop with friends (a friend turned me out lol), an get on the defense when a cop is nearby. I just don't trust them for shit. I grew up in an area where they'll stop a black person for maybe missing the basket when trying to throw garbage in it, something that has legit happened to me he almost gave me a ticket for "littering" -_-. To be honest, I feel UN-safe near cops. Like my personal safety is in danger at that point.

So how about y'all? How do you react when you near officers? The same as usual or different? More cautious, like me, or do you actually feel safer?

An let me clarify, I'm not saying this from everything that's happening on TV I don't watch. I'm saying this from experience.
Let me clarify, I don't hate ALL police. I know a few, an specifically one I completely respect, that are fine. This one I respect has gotten me out of multiple offenses, some I shouldn't have even been seeing him for, and even recommended police officers I avoid in that city because even he knows they'll TRY starting trouble.

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel the same exact way as you do and I'm white, grew up in a semi decent neighborhood, etc. I got in to drugs when I was young but never got caught. (Clean and sober for years now though yay!) so back then my fear was legitimate... But even when I do nothing wrong I'm still filled with it.

Protect and serve my ass! It's more like harass and interrogate. I'm not saying there aren't good cops out there. I've been in situations where the police have helped me out a lot and did a lot of good, but I've also seen a lot of terrible things from them first hand. Personally I think there should be a lot more schooling, mental testing, and qualifications to become an officer then there are. I'm sick of these twisted corrupt cops over shadowing the dedicated officers just trying to do their job. If we had more good cops we'd feel safe instead of scared

What Girls Said 9

• It depends on the cop. I grew up with a cop as a neighbor and he was a really nice guy.

The cops in my neighborhood were nice for the most part. They would wave at us and we'd wave back. I recently moved and it's pretty much the same thing from what I can tell so far though the neighborhood is a bit more rough and the kids around here do get into more trouble buy the cops don't make false assumptions when they see just anyone.

However back to my old neighborhood I did have a situation with a cop. (Click the link and find my opinion to read the story)
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1114542-where-you-live-do-you-trust-police-officers

Another situation occured when two of my friends and I were in the mall in a store. We were just looking around me and one of them were having a conversation with one of the employee's and the other one was off somewhere browsing. Eventually she caught up with us and we were ready to go. The emloyee said bye to us and we walked out but the alarm went off.

So we were scared out of our minds because obviously we didn't do anything and then the guy said you two can go and called our other friend back. We were woried they wouldn't tell us anything, they wouldn't let us back in the store, and time just went on and on. And then eventually the cops came. And walked her out and we asked what's going on and they asked do you know this girl and we said yes she's our friend well she stole something. And then they looked at us like we were evil and said you don't mind if we check your bags do you. And I said yes actually I do. And they said why is that? Are you hiding something? And I said no because you're making false accusations, and it's none of your business what's in our bags! And unless you have a search warrant I don't think you have a right you're not a mall cop are you now? And they look heated and were about to go off on me when the guy from the store came out and said what's going on? And they told him they were trying to check to see if we stole something as well and the guy told them I assure you they couldn't have stolen anything because they were with me the whole time.

So we said bye to the guy road off in separate cop cars to the police station.

Sorry about the long story but anyways they don't scare me.

• I don't really care about them, I usually don't do anything wrong so I'm cool with them - although many police officers in my country are kind of hot so I'm often kinda thinking like "arrest me, sir" lol 😅

• If I'm walking past them or standing near them then it's whatever and I don't care. But when I'm driving in front of, next to, or behind a police cruiser.. I go into like.. panic mode. I legit drive close to 5 under and am hyper-aware of everything I thought I slept through in drivers ed.

• I'm fortunate enough to be a white woman in Canada, so when I'm not doing anything wrong or driving I actually feel safer when I see cops. I always get nervous if there is a cop behind me when im driving though, even if I'm doing nothing wrong lol

• The police aren't bad where I live. They say hi and ask how you're doing. The only thing they pull you over for is speeding where I'm at and sometimes they don't even do that. My sister speeds all the time and never gets bothered by cops. I know some people that don't have a license and have been driving for years without it.

• I get all warm inside. Lol my husband is in law enforcement but he hasn't been a uniformed officer in about a decade. He is still with the force. He could stand right next to you and you wouldn't know that he is law enforcement. So really you're afraid of uniformed police. How can you tell police from regular civilians if they are plain clothes?

• Uniformed police.

• And I can't and would rather not. I don't like police. I do, however, know an officer who I'm cool with. He's perfectly fine and everyone likes him.

• Well I get pretty uneasy, and that's just cause I'm black. I've heard of what they do to black people in America.

• I have nothing to fear so it's normal for me.

• With respect, I want to a cop too. The police here in my town are not bad!

What Guys Said 12

• i just ignore 'em... i know they won't chase me so...

but if there's some hot female cop among 'em... i'll give her a few stares 8)

"I grew up in an area where they'll stop a black person for maybe missing the basket when trying to throw garbage in it, something that has legit happened to me he almost gave me a ticket for "littering" "

^fuck if that's true... then i'm right when i say police tend to have less sympathy towards blacks :( so if a white litters on purpose... they won't do anything?

• I've always wanted to see that. But nope, I started to walk towards it, just not directly at it, an dude assumed I was walking away.

• :(

now i understand y u wanted to move out from yer area

• I treat them like a hornet's nest. If I don't want to get stung, I don't smack the nest. But even I'll admit I get a little freaked out when I see the police, and I live in a small area.

• People don't handle power well, that's a really well-documented fact. Everyone should be wary of cops, especially in a pack, it's easy to get drunk on authority and they're above the law if anything happens to you and they know that. I don't think they're necessarily bad people, but that doesn't mean they can't be influenced and should be trusted.

And I've been around cops by myself and with a black friend and they're completely different from one situation to another.

• I work with Police Officers everyday and you just get used too thier presence. They're human just like you and I, they make mistakes, they're not perfect, no one is. Sure, you have that rotten apple every now and then but the the rest are good people.

If you are nervous around Officers, it's probably because it's something deep down inside that you did that you know was/is wrong, its not their fault.

• Yes, me walking down the street is reason enough for a cop to approach me. Oh, I'm sooooo wrong for walking around holding my wallet because I don't have pockets. Thats more than enough reason for them to come to me and demand to see it. And yes, that shits happened before.

• You're a kid. You'll grow up eventually.

• @remonster Real mature lol

• You let the media influence you too much, I think. Most cops really aren't out to get you, but I understand your fear because you are black. And there's a lot of white-on-black police violence going around in the media right now.

• I lived in Chicago and barely watch TV, what media violence? I'm talking about daily life.

• Oh I'm sorry then. Looks like you have plenty valid reasons to feel on edge around cops.

• Not around all of them, just those who really do look at me with that, "Oh look, a troublemaker" look. The cop I like, the one I would trust with my life cause he really is a good cop, I wave an say hi and maybe talk. Otherwise, I usually try ignoring them.

I also walk like I'm still in the hood, which unfortunately gets their attention.

• Nothing, our cops are cool.

• I act like i do around anyone else.

• I roll down the car windows, i got full black tints and my official permit just expired.

• You know, I got a little story about that.
      My friend has full black tints an a license for it. He drove past some cops an they even waved hi. We went around, did our thing, an drove back. I offered to drive to starbucks, cause I knew a faster way an suck at giving directions, an we drove past those same cops in the same car as before. They pulled me over an I'm getting ready, but when they saw my friend, let us go.

• lol i say hey to them, norwegian polce are cool af , nothing to be scared of :P

• not bothered. they're people like all others.

• but if you're not doing anything wrong, why fear them? pussy.

• Because as I said above, I can be minding my fucking business and GET approached. I don't trust someone with a loaded weapon who'll use it on my skinny ass if I so much as move fast, and I tend to move very fast when nervous.

• I don't, but then again the police here are like boy scouts..

• From the cops POV there are the good people he is doing this shitty job to protect and there are the assholes he usually has to deal with. Convince them you are good people in the first few minutes and they generally can't do enough for you. The idea there are good people out there somewhere is all that keeps most cops going.

• I had a cop come at me sideways for using a vaporizer in a vape shop, then took my juice to check it and never gave it back so I got a free refill. What he found? Monster flavored juice, I'm not even kidding. Then tried to claim I switched it before he got it, but HOW? There are windowed walls, he could see everything! THEN literally tried to say my ID was fake -_-. He was looking for trouble, found none, an tried to create some. After about half an hr, I was out a bottle of juice for my vape (got a replacement), out a bottle of juice for my ecig (got a replacement there too, the guy called them an explained the issue so I wouldn't have to pay), and out a usb cord for my ecig, which was also replaced. I was also left with a stick ass wallet cause the idiot cop "accidentally" spilled my stuff onto the wallet.

• So yeah, there are some good cops. But police like these are literally why I don't trust them.