Why aren't Russians considered to be Asian?

This is probably a really stupid question but I can never find a straight answer for it so why not ask the brilliant minds of GAG

Most Helpful Girl

• They are both. The country is immense. The Ural is the geological boundary between Europe and Asia. To the west most people are indeed slavic or north european, but the more you go to the east the more Asian type people you will see. To give you an idea about the size of the country. Flying from Moscow to the Kamchatka peninsula is a 9h non stop flight.

• Wow, never underestimate how large Russia is.

What Guys Said 13

• Because, Look at this
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../Russia_Empire_1900.PNG

Thats Russia... As you can see, You could call them European, Eur-asian, Asian, heck, Even parts of Russia you could call Arabian.

Simply put, There is too many races spread out of too vast of a distance to put them down as a single race.

You know, Russia is actually bigger than the planet Pluto? xD
    http://www.factslides.com/imgs/i119.jpg

• No I didn't, I guess I learned something new :)

• @tyber1

We only discovered what pluto looks like 4 days ago, Obviously this image was made before then. Chill out yeah? xD

• Git wit da timez

• A large part of the area surrounding Moscow is considered East Europe while the rest is all more of Asia. The portion of Russia to the right of Moscow is Siberia (still Russia) and a lot of the people there look more Eskimo/Mongolian. What you think of when you think of the Caucasian blue eyed blonde person that calls themselves Russian are located in this portion of Russia (which is really only a small part of all of Russia) is more of East Europe which is why they're more Caucasian.

• When people say "Asian" they actually mean East Asian. Many South Asians and Middle Easterners (Southwest Asians?) are actually Caucasian in features, although darker.

Funny how the term "Oriental" became somehow perjorative, when "Western" or "Caucasian" are not.

• "Oriental" is considered pejorative because it is connected to the idea of "Orientalism". Orientalism is a very generalized and stereotypical (sometimes mildly racist) view of Asia and its people that was created by European explorers and missionaries in the 17th-19th century (mystification of Asia etc.). It is nowadays considered a very superficial and often untrue image of Asia, its cultures and its people
      "Western" and "Eastern" are themselves very western (and not geographical) concepts. Historically and culturally speaking, the center of western culture (Europe/America) was Jerusalem. Everything in the west of that was "western" (or belonging to the occident) and everything in the east of that was "eastern" (orient). While "western" is not perjorative, it is still a rather egocentric (Eurocentric/Americacentric) concept and word choice. If you talk to Asians (my girlfriend is Korean), you will notice that many of them don't actually use these words. Caucasian is simply a name for

• a collection of particular ethnic features and thus not pejorative (this also shows the difference to "oriental" because oriental also makes a judgement about culture, mentality etc.. "Caucasian" exclusively talks about physical features).

• My lady is Korean too, and when you go to East Asia or "The Far East", they will refer to you as a "Westerner". And geographically it makes sense, Europe is west of Asia. Strictly Occident and Orient are Latin terms.

• The majority of the population is concentrated in the West of the country, which is eastern European. There are ethnic minorities in central and eastern Russia that are considered Asian, but they're such a small part of the population and are culturally isolated due to the size of the country.

• I would have thought eurasian and Asian because of its geographical position.

• Well they don't look like Asians, same thing goes to Arabs, Iranians, Indians, Pakistanis, Turks, those countries are located in Asia but when you refer to those people by race, you don't say "Asians".

• Because the majority of Russians live close to the east I'm assuming, the country stretches from Europe to Asia and almost North America so it could hardly be considered part of Asia alone.

• russia started in Europe. original russia was in eastern Europe about 1000 years ago.

• to add, when russia was founded it was in the western european part. so it's included as european even though most of it is asia. Europe shouldn't exist anyhow. from spain to china is the same land mass.

• I think most Russians live on the European side cuz the Asian side is mostly a barren wasteland

• Most of them are descendants of Mongolians that is true.

• Don't they consider themselves Slavic?

• Eurocentrism.

Russians are just as Asian as Iranians, Indians, and Turks.

• I'm Turkish and I consider myself European. I'm from Europe (Istanbul) and we're a diverse country.

• My point was more that "Asia" has no meaningful definition, not that Turks are actually Asian.

Although Turks aren't really European either, in a genetic sense.

• yup it is stupid question tbh but well well XD

• There's a reason I went on anon lol

• ahahh good choice :)

What Girls Said 8

• OH MY GOSH I LOVE YOU! I've been talking about this with my friend Victoria for the longest. I consider them Asian because most of the country is in Asia, but since most of them look white and a tiny portion of the country in is Europe she considers them white Europeans.

• Most people I know consider them white. That's interesting.

• They're not white Europeans! They're white Asians!

• That's the correct answer. Russians are Asian, but they are racially white European.

• I honestly don't know. Why's considered white is extremely complicated. Not too long ago Italians weren't considered white, so who really knows.

• I think it is because their skin looks closer to European then they do to the Chinese.

• Yeah, that's what I was thinking... it's because they don't look Asian lmao but I guess geographically they would... be?

• Well, I'm not exactly the smartest when it comes to this stuff^^^

• *follows this questions*
    Never thought about this. Most consider themselves "East European".

• @lissy967 In America it's classified as "Eurasia" but, yes, it certainly is "Eastern European" like my heritage (well... half) before the country was dissolved.

Regardless though, "Eurasia" is the typical term in the states for the combination territory due to Asians containing "Asians" and the desire for Russia (vast majority Caucasian) to not be added to that census facet.

• @lissy967 "Asia containing Asians" I meant to say (obviously).

• Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for the info :) @med111

• They are not politically anal about it.

• it's eurasia

• Because many people would prefer to be seen as white

• Because although most of the country's land mass is in Asia, most of the POPULATION of the country is in Europe, so they are European, not Asian. The majority of the country west of that populated area is Siberia, that you may call Asian. But in general, it is so big you can't label it just one race, you have to single out the individuals, not label the whole country that.

• Ah okay, I wasn't thinking about it population wise, thanks for your opinion.