Why, Why, Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries are getting dead?

Most Helpful Girl

• i hit the remote. it start to work after that hahaha.

Most Helpful Guy

• GREAT question. There must a be a psychological reason for it, but I have no idea.

What Girls Said 5

• because deep in our heart we are hoping that we will not have to get up from that couch to change the batteries..

• Because like 7 times out of 10, it works.

• Take the battery's out and rub them, another 3 days left in them bad boys.

• I don't think I do that

• FRUSTURATION IS REAL

What Guys Said 5

• I guess it's just annoyance or impatience. That's like in Switzerland we commute with trains a lot between cities instead of subway or cars and when the train arrives and the passengers want to get off but the door doesn't open immediately, a lot of people hit the "open" button like 10 times in a row. One time a guy did that and I was standing next to him and so I said "This door works on electrical impulses. It won't open faster just because you press 10 times. It will open once the train stands completely still and the opening impulse is thus not blocked anymore by the main system." The guy just looked at me in a very annoyed way and just when he opened his mouth to say something (nasty probably), the door opened and I slipped off the train ;-).

• Because on a visceral level our brains don't understand electronics, they understand mechanical processes. When it's an instinctive model verses an intellectually imposed one, instinct usually wins. Read 'Thinking Fast and Slow' to learn more.

• Same reason some people think shouting can overcome a language barrier.

Human nature?

• lol i hit the remote then it stars working :p

• Because my remote has a mind of its own and plays dead.