Instagram BANS the tags Curvy, Thick and BBW. Thoughts?

Recently instagram banned the tags curvy, thick and BBW. But tags like BBWlover, BBM, etc are allowed.
I've been on GAG long enough to know that majorty of people on this website are not feminist and dislike fat people.
But I'd like to know your thoughts on this.
Personally, I think its very wrong.

I youtubed this issue just to see people's reactions and I think this girl makes a great point.
(WATCH THE VIDEO BEOFRE MAKING A NASTY COMMENT ABOUT THE THUMBNAIL PLEASE) lol.

• These tags should be banned
  • These tags should not be banned
  • Other (please explain)
Thickgirls*

Most Helpful Guy

• You reap what you sow. Let me explain.

These Big Beautiful Women thought they could use political correctness to shame men into liking them. Now I'm a smoker, and political correctness was also used to ban us smokers from most public places. We can still go there, we just can't enjoy our bad habit there.

Well being fat can be deemed politically incorrect for the same reasons smoking was because it causes heart disease and a lot of other health problems. So now they're being banned because they're promoting an unhealthy lifestyle just like us smokers were.

These women probably all went out and voted Democrat and talked crap about straight white Christian men and promoted LGBT, feminism, Crayon Marvin, Michael Brown, etc. They probably all posted rainbows on Facebook and denounced the Confederate Flag. Now they are suffering from the same PC thought censorship they supported. And I really can't bring myself to muster up too much sympathy for them.

bazookadeluca.files.wordpress.com/.../meme5.jpg

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't use Instagram to be honest I think its stupid. But my opinion on this is put back the tags. One its not fair to people who want to use the tags and to people who had their pictures with these tags. Two just because there a lot of people who do not want to look at "fatties" doesn't mean they have the right to take down these tags or photos or whatever it is online. Three freedom of speech if people have the right to post racist or sexual things I don't want to see (like that video of a guy shoving a glass bottle or whatever it was up his ass) then people have the right to post a picture of a fat person. If its not hurting anyone I don't see why ban it. So many people so fucking stupid now a days.

What Guys Said 13

• First of all: If we're not feminists we dislike fat people? Hmm I doubt it, cause I don't dislike them.

Second: I don't understand why they banned those words, but I wouldn't have ban them, I see no reason for that, especially since curvy has a different meaning than BBW and thick.

• I'm just saying what I've observed on here over years. I know not everyone is not a feminist or dislikes fat people.

• Are hashtag skinny and thin etc still being allowed as a matter of interest - If it was across the board I wouldn't mind because it kinda objectifies women but if it is only one section banned it is wrong

• i believe those are still allowed

• Yay for violating peoples first amendment right of free speech. People need to get over being so sensitive. Words have meanings for a reason if you are obese you are obese, if you are skinny you are skinny and so forth. I had to pause that video because I couldn't handle hearing her talk anymore. This is censorship at it's finest, guess we are moving more and more away from that free nation we have been championed as for centuries.

• Banning shit in general is really dumb. It's censorship. Censorship is bad. It takes away free speech.

• It's stupid. Why would you ban tags?

Not to mention there will come an substitute tag earlier or later.

• What's the point of the ban?

What issue were they having with those tags?

• A lot of porn accounts use those tags. They got rid of the #sexy tag for just this reason.

• Typical internet.

People like to be offended and make a big uproar, without actually looking into the reasons behind it.

• @admles That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure before forming an opinion.

But you're right. This question makes it seem like it's about some anti-fat/bbw/thick movement or something.

• I think too many people are too sensitive about stupid shit anymore.

• I don't understand why these tags are banned?

• That girl in the video preview is NOT curvy.

She is fat.

This whole trend of "thick" and "curvy" when people are just overweight is getting out of hand, and is just sugar coating the obesity problem endemic in this world.

However, I don't know why they are banning those hashtags.

That all said, it's their app, and they can do what they want with it. We don't have to like it.

• about time someone started to crack on this to be honest

• I think it is very stupid. And yet tags like "suicide" are allowed? Just wow.

• Well they're allowed to ban whatever they want. I don't think it was intended to be as negative as people took it to be

• Yeah that shouldn't been banned , people will be leaving Instagram.. Smh

What Girls Said 8

• In short I'm divided between a belief in freedom of expression and a distaste for modern beauty standards and classifications...
    I'll elaborate, but first let me state that my overall oppinion is that this change is an unneeded one and I disagree with said decision...
    That being out there... I understand why... By no means is it banning curvy girls, rather now they are merely beig recognized as people instead of people of a certain category...
    Why does this matter?
    Because it's often not the model but the photographer who deems someone bbw or whatever... And often times these categories are given to thinner women and feed insecurities of those girls looking at them. If she's bbw what does that make me?
    Things like that. Sure certain terms are being embraced but it's not something universal at this point...
    I think erasing these terms would be beneficial...
    But is it instagrams right to do so?
    Well yeah... It's their site and it's free... They have every right to moderate their content...
    I don't have to like that use of power... No one does, but it's there, and it ain't going.

• Did they ban the words "skinny" and "anorexic" as well. If so then I think it's a great idea to ban all of those words, then people would just labeled as people instead of by their weight lol

• As far as i know, they have not banned those tags.

• Why should they be banned?

• From my experience in those tags. They show a lot of nudes and porn clips. I guess Instagram isn't about that life.

• Thats so unfair :o

• i don't understand the implications this has caused?

• It's funny because everybody and their momma would be claiming to be curvy when their just skinny and leaning to a side to make a curve cause they wanted to belong so bad lmao

• But yeah it shouldn't be banned just to please the insecure

• I don't use Instagram, but I don't see why those tags should be banned? There's nothing wrong with them.