Girls, if it's a birth control shot, can birth control shots stop periods?

Ok, my mom said that I got the shot on June 27th and it was a shot that prevents me from getting pregnant and having diseases like HIV and AIDS and other diseases. My mom said that she didn't know what kind of shot it was though. But after that shot, I haven't had my period ever since and I usually come on after or before my mom does and she came on her period a few days ago. So, if it is a birth control shot can the shots stop periods? I think I got like 3 shots or probably just 1 that day, I forgot how many sorry :/

10

Most Helpful Girl

• HIV and AIDS are the same thing and can only be prevented in sexual circumstances by using a condom. The contraceptive injection will only prevent you from getting pregnant. You still need to use a condom.

Yes the injection can stop periods and can also make them irregular.

What Girls Said 9

• You mean your HPV shot? I don't think there's any legal shot that stops HIV. Just saying.

• I don't know what kind of shot it was.

• Well I don't want to speculate either. Honestly, my only suggestion would be to call up your doctor and ask him/her because I think they'd know better than us what's going on. I (and I guess almost everyone else who posted before me) just wanted to impress upon you that no shot prevents HIV (which progresses to AIDS) or probably any other STD or STI.

• I goy my birth conttol shot for 6 months specifically because i was bleeding too much on my period. And it stopped my period completely. I haven't had my period in almost a year! But it does NOT stop pregnancy or aids or infections/diseases. For most people. Alwayd be safe and use a condom.

• I think its possible because I heard similar stories from other woman on this site.

• If you're referring to the depo provera, then yes, it stops your period.

It doesn't protect you from STDs. It's a contraceptive shot, in that it prevents pregnancy.

• they will stop over time

• Did you get the Gardasil or the Depo?

• It may have been gardisil😊 It shouldn't for long. More like delay it.

• First things first. No shot can prevent you from AIDS or a wide variety other STD's. There is a shot that prevents womb cancer and some STD but as far as I know it's not a birth control shot (that's what my gynecologist told me when I got mine).
    If you had more than one shot then you probably had a birth control shot and the famous anti womb cancer shot. Just my guess.
    How long has it been since you first got your period? Have you had a steady cycle? And how old are you? If you just started having your period a couple of months ago then it's quite normal to have an irregular cycle.

• And by the way the shot I had was cervarix. There are other shots (from different companies) that are pretty much the same. Such is gardasil (bare in mind that names vary from country to country).

• The depo provera shot stops periods. No shot is going to stop you from catching STDs and STIs.