How do guys hide their insecurities so well?

how do guys hide their insecurities so well?

I just notice women break so easy about their physical insecurities and need to vent so often but guys just hold back.

Most Helpful Guy

• We are forced to hold back. Society shits all over men that show insecurities so we hold them back even at the cost of our own mental health. Some women tell us to man up when men express this sort of thing, society tells us this and even many peoples dad's teach us this (I was not taught this by my dad though). So basically men get shitted all over for showing it so we don't, we are feeling it but don't show it and it does affect our mental health to some degree.

• This is why it is so hard for a girl to get a man to open up about his feelings because we are scared to. Some women say open up and then treat us badly when we do making us think why did I ever open up. Some women don't do that. Us men have to work out which of the two a woman is and often we don't know so we play the safe option and don't open up.

• Well we are judged all the time by women for opening up so we don't. You should see even just on this site if a man asks a question that is asking for help about how he feels about women there are many women that abuse him. If a girl asks the same question about men women support her. This is why men are so closed.

• Thank you for MHA :)

What Guys Said 18

• It's what we're taught to do from a young age. Boys don't cry, they don't share their feelings, they keep bottled up, they don't let someone look tougher than them, etc. Where as, from a young age, little girls are taught that it's okay to cry, they should be open about their feelings, girls are already good at talking to their female friends about their feelings and comforting each other, etc. We do it because it's a necessity by society. We're not allowed to expose them. And most guys have been doing it their entire lives. I'm sure there's possibly something to do with male and female physiology, as well, but that's something that I'm less familiar with.

• What, face being judged a coward and a whelp? Oh yes, I can see the droves of men dying to sign up for that.

• I don't know.. One day I just realized that people will always have something shitty to say about how you look and what you do. Then it was clear to me that one must not give a fuck about what others are thinking. Both men and women should realize this, past a certain age.

• yes good point easier said than done but so true.

• Because that's what we're taught since we were born, to hide our insecurities and emotions, we have more practice.

• This is similar to how does some gay and bi men hide their sexuality so well?
    Because they have to.

• Necessity and the fact that nobody wants to hear about your problems since they're dealing with their own shit. We have the rational thinking to say "there's no use in bitching about it, just do something about it".

However, men do open up a little with their closest mates. We never really paint a complete picture, but some things we do ask each other for advice on.

• Just because we don't show it as much, dosen't mean we don't feel it.

Fuck man, When i walk around in public i feel sick, But.. I try not to let others know that :/.

• why sick? like sad?

• your making me sad :( ... life is hard i know

• Why am i making you sad matey? :S, That was never my intention, Sorry ! D:

• We know how to laugh at ourselves.

Not taking yourself so seriously really helps.

Most of the things

• Accidentally pressed submit

Most of the things we've ever been insecure of, our friends point out and laugh at it. That's just how guys are.

If you got something wrong with your hairline or something, your friends will make fun of it. And after the jokes get old, you all just forget about it.

So we have the luxury of our friends openly acknowledging it and laughing at it. Then after the jokes get old, it's like the significance of the insecurity has been completely eliminated.

• oh my god if my friends made fun of me i would cry so hard and never get over it, it would scar my soul serious haha.

• I'm sure you've heard the saying

"Women understand women, and they hate each other"

Well, that's true. You guys tend to not be that great of friends, even with friends you've known all your life.

You say your world would be crushed if your friends laughed at you. But that's the problem, let's say there is something that should be acknowledged, like a bad haircut, poor choice of clothing, or a common insecurity.

You girls don't acknowledge it, you guys pretend it's all good in person, then criticize behind each other's backs.

It's that phoniness that really is doing girls a disservice.

• It's taught. At a young age "boys don't cry" "be a man, tough it out" ""what are you a girl (or other term)" and it just gets internalized. So by the time they're adults they're really good at hiding emotions

• i first make sure i feel perfect with who i am, accept it cause i can't change it. The only thing i do, is to make my securities shine over others so my insecurties won't even be discussed

• We're taught to be stoic about such things. Emotions are a no-no. But I'll tell you something - once I stopped caring about it, I felt a lot better.

• They do? News to me.

Although I will acknowledge that guys often can "compartmentalize" tasks better. When we have a task at hand, we don't let other matters cloud us so much.

• Because society pressures men to, and we've been conditioned since childhood to hide our feelings.

It's the same reason why women hide their sexuality so well.

• Well cause we men really dont like anyone knowing this because it will be used against us

• i just cryied alone in my room and invested every inch of my body in martial arts. i

• I look pretty good naked soooo

• No one wants to hear men vent. Men are supposed to be strong, confident, always carefree or whatnot... so who would want to know about their problems...

• We had to... Everything was an insecurity at one point you have to adapt and hide them well.

What Girls Said 3

• They are either very good actors or they aren't completely insecure. Some guys are insecure in one area but not in another - there is a part of insecurity in them but there is also a part of confidence in them.

• I have no idea but I think its because they play it off by acting "tough" and "cool"

• guys are not nearly judged half as much as women
    and media doesn't focus on a certain image... etc

• yeah i still think we got it far worse on the physical however can't really blame guys, i feel more pressure from other women around me to look perfect.

• well of course they still are judged

but no where near as bad as us

• Please. Men are just as criticized for not being muscular/lean as women are for not being thin. Good looking men in magazines with stylish clothing and specific haircuts, men's underwear models, images of stoic men being fancied by all the women, men are just as targeted for their insecurities as women are.. we just don't bitch about it.