Can any of you martial artists explain this ridiculous policy that seems to be a part of a lot of a lot of disciplines?

"Don't use your skills on infirior attackers"

That's just mind boggling to me on so many levels. I mean, isn't the whole point of studying a martial arts to become supirior fighters to others... and now sensei's and shifu's are telling their student not to use what they learned against people who think they are better than them? How does that make any sense?

Most Helpful Girl

• There's no need to hurt someone more than strictly necessary. If a very advanced fighter goes up against a novice, they're going to be able to beat the shit out of them. This does not help the novice learn. This does not help the advanced fighter progress. One must learn when to employ one's mercy and compassion, a principle codified into most forms of martial arts.

Most Helpful Guy

• Everyone else has pretty much covered it, but it bears repetition: It means don't use it just because you have it. Dont be a bully. Don't decimate someone and break their arm just because they grabbed the front of your shirt, when lesser force would have doen the job.

Hell most self defence and martial arts courses open up with the classic "discretion is the better part of valour", and "fight only if absolutely necessary".

What Girls Said 1

• Basically it's saying don't be a bully. It's mainly told to kids so they don't just beat people up all the time when the other kid can't fight back.

And you shouldn't do that, either.

What Guys Said 6

• It's because thy were developed for defence, not to fuck people up.

It's a way of saying "don't us this unless you REALLY have to." And honestly, knowing how dangerous some of the moves can be, that's a good policy.

• because these skills are for defense not for your amusement. many students just want to learn this skill to "F' people up , to me that just makes them a more dangerous breed of punk...

• You are not to use your training to initiate, simply defend... if you actually used what you knee you could kill someone. I mean it all revolves around discipline. Sure you can beat someone up, but does that make you better than that person, surely not.

• What the hell martial art are you taking? If someone attacks me, I'm going to demolish their ass no matter what "skills" they have.

• I've done martial arts since childhood and never heard that rule. I was taught a similar one, that unless attacked directly, you are not to attack. To only fight in self defense.

• It's about discipline. If whoever's teaching you finds out that violence is your motive, most would turn you away