Is it offensive to make assumptions solely based on stereotypes?

Example: Assuming a man is gay if he acts like a woman or assuming a woman is a lesbian if she is very manly

• Yes. It's very wrong.
  • No. It's okay.

Most Helpful Girl

• Are you asking if its okay to pre-judge?

Well, we all do to an extent.
    That is how we keep ourselves out of danger or stay wary of our environment.
    We formulate a general opinion about someone, sometimes it is neither negative or positive (just a thought about someone in general).
    Sometimes our prejudgment shows accuracy.
    I think it is only wrong to formulate an opinion about someone when you stand solely behind your pre-conceived notion about this person.
    You believe dogmatically what you "think" about this person.
    Even upon speaking to them (if they prove themselves differently than your thoughts), you still refuse to see him/her any differently.
    You have in your mind "all" people that portray certain mannerisms are that way.
    You leave room for nothing else.
    I think thats where the problem lies.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends, if a guy is in short yellow shorts with a shirt that shows his stomach and walks and talks like a girl, most likely he's gay. You can assume it until proven otherwise or vice versa with a girl (if its really obvious), but just assuming their gay because a girl dresses in guy clothes and has guy interests or a guy likes a girl song isn't okay, the girl could easily be a tomboy, the guy could be comfortable with his sexuality that he could do that and not be gay or self conscience of appearing gay.

Now racial stereotypes, if youve never seen proof of the negative stereotypes of a race in your experiences and you just assume that persons like that because theyre a certain race, thats not okay, thats being racist and prejudice. If you see a normal looking black person in your store and pay more attention to them then you do white customers when looking for shoplifters, then you are being racist. But if you were in a town where the demographic that stole was black and the ones that didn't were usually white, where you had a good number of both races in your town, as a black person i wouldn't like it, but i could at least see where your coming from. But people just go by stereotypes with no real hard evidence.

Now when you racially profile a Arab in a turban shouting at someone in Arabic on an earpiece at the airport... Thats understandable to feel that way because that is the demographic that does terrorist attacks in out country.

Other stereotypes like looking at someones race , gender, etc. and assuming they can't drive or theyre are bad at____ or good at_____ or have _____ negative or positive traits because theyre a gender or a race or have a combination of a certain personality with that race or gender, when you dont actually know them isn't okay. If your going off of your personal experiences with people like that, and majority of them had those traits, then its understandable why you think that way, (depending on what is it may be good or bad way to think) but if you haven't had enough experiences with it to make a huge assumption like that and are just going off stereotypes and what youve heard, then no its not okay to think like that.

I've been running and walking around my town for 5 years and there's a huge consistency with what people look like and whether or not theyre bad drivers. Its true, i didn't take what I've heard its what I've seen, i naturally stereotype people by how they look when theyre driving towards me, because if theyre...

• old, or look like a asshole, or look like a douchebag, or look uncoordinated, or look mentally challenged, or are a little 15 year old girl (it would probably be the sAme with a guy but i haven't had the experience yet but i would be wary), they will usually hit you when they were going a certain speed in an area they were supposed to stop for you, its true, 70 percent of the time when its one of those demographics driving, if they aren't slowing down to a typical speed like most people do where pedestrians have the right of way, they will hit you if you just assume theyll stop like they should. My friends dont see a problem with it , but i do, if i thought like them and assumed everybody would stop in that situation i wouldve been hit by a car like 1-4 times a week. In my case, stereotyping people by how they look and other factors is okay and understandable. Because i got my biases about drivers from 5 years of experience, i can understAnd why people would go by stereotypes when...

• looking at or observing someone that fits a description of numerous people they encountered that had mostly the same traits.
      Im not sure that of thats what you're looking for.

What Girls Said 4

• It's not great, but it happens every day...

• Its wrong and of course unfair, but people just naturally try to feel a situation and come to a conclusion for their own understanding, often led by their own beliefs. The best thing to do is not care what other people think.

• Stareotypes themselves are pretty fucked up.

• Heaps of people assume I'm a lesbian or bi because I don't act very feminine and it pisses me off soooo much! Sometimes, even after I tell people I'm straight, they don't believe me which is even worse. So, yeah, I do think it's offensive and incredibly annoying. 😡😡😡

What Guys Said 5

• Everyone judges everyone. Anyone who says otherwise is just being conceited.
    The important bit though is that you do not let your natural little judgements and assumptions colour your actions. Treat everyone the same unless their actions give you cause to treat them differently. Maintain an open mind and prepare to have your assumptions broken.

Everyone is a person, and as such is deserving of respect. Don't treat someone poorly because of how you percieve them.

• It's very wrong and it's stupid too.

• To some yes to others no, depends on the person however its a bad thing

• Yeah it's annoying

• it's normal to judge.