Would tattoos be unprofessional for me?

I want to get a few tattoos on my left arm. They'd be meaningful, most of them will be memorials for family members.

The problem is, I'm going to be an Oncologist. If you went to see your doctor and they had tattoos, would you be uncomfortable or be more comfortable? Would you not care at all? I could always cover them or get them somewhere else, but if they make my patients uncomfortable I won't get them on my arm.

Detailed opinions please?

Would you be more open to a tattoo on someone if it was their tribe's flag or a symbol representing their heritage?

Most Helpful Guy

• I detest tattoos on anybody. The may look OK when new, but in years to come they will look awful. I have seen many on both men and women of all ages. In places not normally seen by the public!

If you have any done, which is your choice, don't force them onto anyone else, especially in a professional environment. I am seing a consultant shortly, and I hope I don't see anything like that.

• Force them onto anybody? What do you mean by that?

It's not like I've been jumped into a tattoo cult and I'm looking for recruits lmao.
      But tattoos are also part of my heritage. I'm Native American and a lot of my family members get the tribe's flag or something of that nature.

• Yeah. I'm in the gym a lot so I guess people there will see them if I'm wearing a sports bra lmao.

Thankyou :)

• Always welcome. Take care, stay safe!!

What Guys Said 7

• My dad and grandpa told me "when you get a tattoo, get it somewhere you can always hide it by a shirt sleeve. You don't always want to wear long sleeves shirts so put it somewhere smart."

• Hahah thanks for passing on your dad and grandpa's advice.

• I thought it was good advice! Besides even if you get tattoos in your arms that people can see, they'll probably think your a cool guy and not an uptight doctor

• I dont think having tattoos have any difference with your chosen profession. If they have meaning to you then others will respect that. Tattoos have never been an issue to employers as far as i aware. I mean as long as there not offensive then you should be ok :)

• To be honest, No tatoo's look 'Professional'. That just the nature of tat's im afraid.

As as for your update, Nah, i don't really think a tribe flag or something would look any better, infact it would probably look worse.

I live on an Island in the British Isles, And the people here decended from Vikings and celts and saxons and shit, So LOADS of people have like tribal tatoos and stuff on their arms, And i just think they all look very... 'common' and shit :/.

• To problem will not be as much with the patient as it will be issues with employers. A lot of employers in professional settings do not want tattoos showing while at work.

• Tattoos are ugly either way you shouldn't get them, but yes for any profession it would be bad.

• Np, as long as they aren't showing.

• It WILL affect you professionally. If you get one, make sure it will always stay out of sight (in which case... why get one...)

What Girls Said 2

• If I went to see my doctor and they had tattoos, I wouldn't care at all. I don't think it'd make me more comfortable with them because I'm already scared of doctors so I'm uncomfortable anyway :P But no, I wouldn't care at all, it's not like tattoos mean they're any less skilled at their profession.

However, the facts are that many employers don't like people having visible tattoos like that. If you wore long-sleeved shirts or brought a jacket to work, then there wouldn't be an issue.

• I wouldn't care