Why are Americans so in love with their Constitution?

People keep quoting its amendments around. They treat it like it's holy or something.

0|0
2|14

Most Helpful Guy

• Well... The name CONstitution sounds pretty negative... Since Pro is the opposite of Con, should we call it Prosti... Oh wait...

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It is what this country was founded on. Our ancestors fought and died for the tenets it holds. Within the document is the very basis of our freedoms and rights as U. S. citizens. Without it, we would be at risk of a dictatorship or communism, which MOST Americans are against.

The checks and balances in the Constitution keep any one person from having all the power.

Our Constitutional rights are why people are so frantic to cross borders or immigrate to the US. The freedom to speak out against injustice and worship *or not* freely are just two examples of this.

I wish more people WOULD treat it like it mattered.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 13

• I think it is pretty impressive that those 40 or whatever people created a basis for governing that is able to evolve and adapt (imo improve) for more progressive generations. I don't think it's holy, but I find it very impressive.

4|1
    0|0
  • America like most countries (particularly the powerful ones) believes it's very special and that there are genuine reasons that separate it from the other countries. When you look at how they became independent, the Constitution is a major part of their history and so is generally built up to be this political Bible that has helped make America the country it is today.

It's part of the 'mythology' of America so to speak. As many Americans are really patriotic, this mythology is very important to them.

Imho, it's a truly great document but, much like the nation it founded, has to be adaptable as the world changes and the way some people believe it must be followed line by line is strange to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it is the foundation of America and all we stand for. And unless something has a very solid foundation, it will easily crumble and fall. However, people do go too far with it. It is just a piece of paper, it can be changed. Slavery was in the constitution. but eventually amendments changed it. People need to remember things can change.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's just one of those things that was engraved in our history. America was the first country to allow such a large amount of freedom to it's people and it was such a new country. It was a fresh start and a clean slate for anyone who wanted to start a new and better life. It was a huge hype and it's why so many Europeans came here in the 19th and 20th centuries. The US is the third most populated country in the world because of all of that "hype." Now most countries have similar amounts of freedom and in some cases, more freedoms than we do, however that "hype" never really went away.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it's what made the country different from the country we obtained independence from.

0|0
    0|0
  • Either they want to protect themselves from illegal activities that they are doing or they want to protect themselves from those who want to attack them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because that is where our Rights come from to keep the government from robbing and enslaving us.

1|0
    0|0
    • The people who wrote it were slave owners tho

• There isn't a politician in Washington who gives two shits about the Constitution.

1|0
    0|0
  • White people love rules - look at their model for government: the Roman Empire and its iron set rules. This also has its roots in Judaism, Ancient Greece, and the Persian Empire.

0|0
    1|0
  • America :D lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I know right. They are obsessed with it.. They're like 'lemme quote this thing from 2nd amendment'.. Bitch! No one gives a fuck!!

2|0
    1|0
  • Only a part of the Americans. Or when it suits them. The Constitution , it's Amendments and the Supreme Court's decisions about it are like the Bible: contradictions enough to defend and attack nearly everything.

0|0
    0|0
  • We love it the way a mountain climber loves his safety line.

0|2
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Yes the second one is stupid

0|0
    0|0