Should I be embarrassed to use food stamps?

Well for starters my mother is a single parent taking care of 3 kids. My dad decided to stop supporting us and abandoned us. We recently got food stamps and I'm embarrassed everytime we go to the grocery store. I used to get bullied and I would over hear kids talking about how they don't have food stamps because their parents have good jobs to provide for them. I already live in one of the baddest neighborhood in my town and now I have food stamps and a father that abandoned me. 😐 my best friend said that I'm lucky to have food stamps but I just feel really embarrassed.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are in a situation where the only other option is going without food - thus, you're the people that the food stamp program was designed for. Hopefully this situation will be temporary, but I would go ahead and accept it (you don't have to tell anyone) as being necessary for your survival.

The other lesson is: relationships, especially when children are involved, are a lot of work, and require you to CHOOSE WISELY. The single most important thing is BROAD COMPATIBILITY between the two people. Clearly your mother didn't choose wisely, and now all of you have to suffer as a result (and your dad is a jerk for not helping to provide for you, no matter how he feels about your mom). Please do your very best to learn from that lesson (and pay close attention to the choices your friends make, and the results), and don't repeat the cycle - and know that repeating the cycle is exactly what you'll instinctually try to do, so watch out for that.

What Guys Said 8

• Do you feel bad when your at home eating the cartful of food you got with those stamps? Probably not. Technically your not on food stamps so I wouldn't worry about. Your mom is trying to give you quality food to eat unless you just want crackers and soup. Eating should come first not pride.

• Gotta eat, yo. If you're unhappy being on food stamps, and I wouldn't blame you, let that motivate you to achieve more for yourself. But don't let the judgment of people more well off get you down. They probably couldn't hack it if they were in your shoes.

• Don't feel embarrassed. Everyone has hard times. The person who should feel bad and embarrassed is your father who left his family like that. Shame on him. I am sorry to hear this and wish that you and your family the best.

• no not if that's how you have to buy your food.
    you have to eat don't let others judge you on how you have to live

• Baby.. juz as long as u have food to shove down ur throat, u should be grateful 👌🏼
    Or would u rather have nothin' at all 😕

• You are lucky and you shouldn't feel embarrassed about it, let's see those kids who make fun of you express one billionth of the courage that you do to go through that.

Don't let it get to you, as long as you're as nice and kind a person as you can be or at least as you think you can be, don't let anyone or anything get to you and know that you've earned your own respect.

• No one likes to use food stamps, because it implies that your status in society is low. Of course in the US today 99% of the population is on food stamps, so the stigma is a nonsense.

• The answer is no.

What Girls Said 3

• Not at all. People go through tough times. It's nothing to be ashamed of. There was a time where I need them, but I wasn't the slightest bit ashamed.

• I am saying this as someone who used to have food stamps. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS. when my mom, sister, and I had food stamps we didn't have to worry about going hungry. We knew what it was like not to have any food in the house at all. It sucks. Just be lucky for the food instead of worry about what other people think.

• If you are not old enough to get a job and buy your own food then be glad you have a mother who isn't too ashamed to do what ever to feed her kids.