Are the British European?

I know that Britain is in Europe but people tell me they are not actually european? what are they if they are not european

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes and No.

Yes because Britain is culturally linked with the rest of Europe heavily, and shares very similar ways of life.

No because technically speaking, Britain is not connected to mainland Europe geographically.

But, It depends where in Britain you are, If you are in the United Kingdom, You would be considered European because UK is a member of the Europe.
    If you lived in the British isles like me (Isle Of Man), Which is NOT part of the UK, But IS part of Great Britain, Then no you wouldn't be European.

Long story short, From a Geographical point of view, I do not think its fair to call British people European, But from a Cultural and racial point of view it is. So... Yes and No.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah the British are european. Many people do not think the darker Europeans are European though.

What Guys Said 9

• Geographically yes, though we're very much the black sheep of Europe, I feel.

A lot of the English (not British, English) feel very universalised because of how far the British empire has spread.

I mean the very language you're using to communicate is English, there are millions of native English speakers and many former colonies, not to mention Britain isn't apart of continental Europe like France, Spain, Germany and such, which only creates the divide more.

Go back to the 1500's say, and England was a much more "European" country, back then. Nowadays we're somewhat nomadic (which is our own fault).

• Geographically we're not part of the continent, hence, 'continental Europe'. But we're considered part of it, ethno-culturo-politico-socio-yadayadally.

• We are European, but when you say European most people think Mainland. Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Belgium etc..

I guess European is too mainstream for us Brits. 😏😎

• In my understanding almost all white people can be considered to be having European lineage cause that is from where they originated.

• Of course they Europeans.

• eh? doesn't make sense.

• Brits are a bit patriotic, in a sense (almost as bad as americans). They don't like to be part of much of anything, or change to systems others are using. This is why they still drive left and use the imperial system of measurement.

Technically they are part of Europe and therefore europeans, but they will never admit to that.

My wife is British.

• We don't use Imperial. We use Metric.
      The only country who uses Imperial is 'Murica.

• You weigh in stones and pounds. You drive in miles. You pour in galons.

Yes, yes you do use the imperial system.

• The British relationship to Europe is best explained by a famous newspaper headline.

FOG IN THE CHANNEL, CONTINENT CUT OFF!

• Yes, they are...

What Girls Said 1

• Yes, they are European. Not continental though