Why people who are 40 years old or above mostly, avoid using emoticons?

I’ve noticed not only here, but in many many sites those who don’t use any emoticons at all r almost ALWAYS 40 yo or above. Do they have emoticon-phobia? ;p

Have u ever noticed dat as well? It’s really bad to avoid emoticons actually.. they r not “kiddish” as I assume they believe. In text they r important so u can tell if someone says sth jokingly or seriously.

Like for xample…

“I’m very disappointed about wot u said!” (seriously)

“I’m very disappointed about wot u said! :p “ (jokingly)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll be 40 in a month and I'll continue to use the most common emoticons :-) :-( :o 8) :D <3 ...

• Thanks for the MH Klaatu :D
      With an emoticon behind it, of course!

What Girls Said 3

• On the flipside, I'm not 40 and I dislike using emoticons. :3

Is this true though, do y'all depend on emoticons to sense the air of the conversation?

I'm just used to the internet and learned to take nothing seriously. So even if they weren't joking, I'd still think they are. Maybe they're the same way and just can't be bothered or something?

• no... they r not ALWAYS jokin in my opinion... ;)

• Figured it out. ;) :p :*)

• ah sorry but that's wrong in my opinion... never toss everything here... u might get some valuable advice yet throw it away coz u thought it was a joke :(

and nope there's no emoji tab here... :(

• My mom uses an excessive number of emojis.

• ah... she's cool! how old is she if u don't mind sharin?

• I'm more liberal politically but more conservative in temperament and dress than her.

• ah i see...

• Maybe it's because they think it's childish or unnecessary.

What Guys Said 4

• Because this electronic age is still somewhat baffling to us

• Trade secret for us over 40s - I am not 100% sure how to use emoticons here - I use them a bit on kik but I feel the need to explain myself in words. For example "I am happy for you " that is me done why do I need emoticon to repeat myself.

• Most adults are serious you know ,

• *pretend to be serious

an emoticon won't make u a clown

• Just not used to it. People for the 40 old more reasonable and less emotional.