It's 1899. You arrive in California after a long steamship journey. How would you start a new life?

It's 1899. Because you can't live in your homeland anymore, you decide to go to America to start a new life. You buy steamship tickets for you and your brother. Your brother dies on the way and you have to throw him overboard. You make it to California. All you have is 5 dollars, which means around 100-150 dollars in today's money. You have no place to go and you're hungry. What would you do?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I would go to the local cheese shop and asked if they needed help around their store or if I could trade my services to their company in exchange for possessions that I could then sell or trade for other possessions.

What Guys Said 4

• First i look for a room, then i look for bread, then i go to find a job at a mine or farm something

• Sleep - - - -

• I try and find a way to get some negroid slaves!

• Slavery was long gone in 1899. Even if you went earlier, California was always a free state

• Pretty sure you could go to Deep South and hire black maids & workers for low pay, though

• @Asker

Thank you! I will name them Jomembe and Laqueesha!

• I would find a gun and blow my brains... hoping the nightmare would be over, and I wake up back in my sucky life in 2015...

What Girls Said 3

• try to seduce a rich man.

• Find the nearest bar/brothel

• I'd think "Fuck" because I'd be somebodies slave

• You're black? I think slavery was abolished in 1899

• Uhhh that's what they did

• Shit, you're right. I didn't think of KKK and stuff like that