Have you ever been stalked online?

Have you ever been stalked online by someone you may or may not know? (On any sites or emails) How did you handle it? Is it still happening?

Online stalking is a big problem that I'm finding a lot of law enforcement isn't ready to handle because of many factors. It's not like the old drive-by-the-house, or calling someone on the phone type of stalking that could be proven. Online talking has many variables to constitute whether or not it even is stalking. Yet many countries will recognize that all forms of stalking is criminal harassment. But online stalking seems to have slipped through the cracks. What are your thoughts, and how have you personally been affected by it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I have. Twice actually. It was very scary as both people would go on sites and watch what I saying, keeping track of my answers, questioning me when I wouldn't respond right away, etc... At first, I sometimes missed their responses (on the site or through some form of messenger) or didn't have anything to say. However, I would stop responding all together because they were freaking me out with their behaviors.

It really can be a problem. Obviously, people have to be careful online. If someone is bothering you that much, you have to block them from all forms of social media, websites, messengers, etc... At first, I felt bad about doing that because I felt mean, but it needs to be done to keep yourself safe.

• Thanks for MHO, too!

Not that this was a fun thing to talk about, hah.

• My cousin's son got his driver's license a few years back and was so proud of himself that he scanned it and put it online. I was so stunned, I immediately called my cousin to tell him to take that shit down. Not just your personal physical information is there along with your address, birthdate are revealed, but your goddammed DRIVERS LICENSE number? That's one piece of ID that is so crucial to keep offline! That was about seven years ago and I'm still shocked that he did that. He did take it down, but hey - once something is online, it's out there forever somehow.

• Oh, back when people my age were getting their driver's licenses, they'd do the same thing on social media. Some were smarter than others and blacked out most of the information... others, nope, showed everything. I understand how excited you are over something that major in your life, but people don't think. Thankfully, I just saw it and scrolled right past it, but I can't say everyone would do that.

What Guys Said 8

• I get stalked online (where I simply ignore), even on emails where I block and report and at times on whatsapp and stuff where I have the choice to ignore. But I ensure that I keep the data so that it may be used when required and warranted :)

• Just once. It was this girl in high school. She sent me a friend request on facebook and we apparently had like 200 friends in common but I never accept even off of just that and I saw her pictures and knew I had never seen her in my entire life. She resent the friend request like 3 different times. I don't think she was trying to cause any problems. I think she was just one of those people that had to have 1000 friends on facebook. I just kept rejecting the request until she finally stopped sending them. I personally don't worry. I stay fit and have firearms in my home I know how to use so I'm never really worried about someone showing up at my door but I understand how other people might be afraid of being stalked online. It's incredibly easy to learn about people online if they have social media accounts. You can just type a persons name into google and it'll give you links to just about any public social media account that is attached to them.

• To the best of my knowledge, no.

In the online world, I'd rather people make use of blocking and security features than the law.

• Yes, I went through it.
    In my case i stayed away from Facebook and other social networks. Luckily it stopped after a while.

• No idea. Maybe. But if I am (or was), I wouldn't be aware of it.

• I mean yeah... I lurk on people's profile occasionally , I'm sure people do the same too me.

• That's not really the same. I mean, making it apparently that what you're doing is meant to be seen or to hide your identity to get a response or scare the person.

• nah that's a little bit over the top.. but I have had a few text conversations from random numbers.. 1) the person was prodding me for answers about whether or not I still spoke to my ex girlfriend this person remained "anonymous" .. 2) I got a text from a person who just kept wanting to talk to me.. even though it was apparent that I was not the "person" they claimed they were looking for... to be fair I feel like that was my ex girlfriend as well just to proud to text me from her phone but wanting to talk to me some how... but in any case nah I wouldn't try to scare a person.. Technology is so savy these days I would probably get tracked down and made to look like a flippin tool.

• Nobody will take care of your problems but yourself.

• i love stalking sexy girls online ;)

What Girls Said 3

• Yes - MORE THAN ONCE. The guy from uni who hacked my e-mail account, the guy from high school who found my online profile, the girl from church who wanted to drive me out of church so she could date the guy who I was talking to, the guy from church who looked at my online profile to get updates on my life, the jewish woman who wanted to destroy my online postings because she thought my opinions contradicted her jewish ideals, the police officer who used my online profile to investigate me for some crime he wanted to convict me of, my psychiatrist who used my online profile to prove I was mentally ill and who knows how many others? but I was online for a long time.

• I do have one person on another site who stays anonymous to harass me and other users in a chatroom. She says degrading things to people to try and goad them into arguments. I want to report her to mods but I'm not sure how. I might take it to the police but I don't know what my rights are. It's been going on for roughly two years.

• Yes, on here. A guy would keep changing his account to harass me. Every time i blocked him he would just create a new account. he must have created 6+ accounts. It did affect me, because that is one of the reasons i deactivated my account.

My dad was a Psychologist and one of his patients discovered where he lived, and started stalking my mum and me.