Why do people think America is the greatest country in the world?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think you can compare countries like that. Every country has good and bad points and depending on your circumstances one or another would be better for you. I think the people who think America is the greatest country either think so because to them greatest means most powerful or most culturally dominant.

It's got a nice combination of easy living and liberty with an open, unpressurized culture but on many points other countries are better.

What Girls Said 8

• I never thought America was the greatest country in the world until I moved to live here. It grew on me over time.
    Seriously, there are more opportunities to have a nice career and life in general here, compared to most other places in the world. People have more freedoms.
    I am not saying there aren't any flaws. There are plenty bad things about this country as well, but as someone who has been in other parts of the world too, I really can't complain. All in all I like living in America. It's one of the greatest countries for sure.

• Because they're poorly educated morons

• Canada is a much better country. That's why everyone wants to move there.

• I didn't jude 300+million people - I am judging those who actually believe that America is the greatest country in the world. It's not. It's FAR from the greatest. Maybe once upon a time it could have been argued to be the greatest, or at least one of the greatest, but sure as hell not today. It's the only "developed" country in the world that doesn't have an accessible, universal health care system. That alone makes it utterly pathetic.

• Thats because many people here don't want a universal health care system. Anyways, would be pathetic to introduce universal health care to a country that support it.

• Because you can do anything you really wanna do, Be anyone you wanna be, find anything you can possibly desire, and it has something for everyone. It's so gigantic and so varied, from the landscapes to the cultures, to the politics, to the education, to the opportunities for one to fulfill his/her dream. Anyone can find their own niche and feel like they belong. I think that's special.

• Can't u find that in other countries

• Yes, you CAN find all these things in other countries, Mr Asker. Actually, did you ever go live for a time in other countries that not yours? If you didn't I recommend you do at some point, if you can. It's an incomparable experience.

As for US, from my experience with it I can say they have advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages: the people is amazing, many interesting cities with lotsof things to do, great food and (for me this is important) gym memberships and bodybuilding supplements are very cheap.

Disadvantages: health and education are expensive as fuck (without being better than the ones in Europe, for example) and there's still a lot to do in terms of labour rights.

• oh and one more disadvantage: a lot of religious moralims, although this is obviously not exclusive to US. Brazil, where I live, i full of this too.

• It's not. While I do love America, I'm Canadian and live in Canada and I am happy I was born here.

#thatfreehealthcarethough

• I don't know if the US is the greatest country in the world but I'll definitely take it over Canada. Cold, bland food, archaic nanny-state laws.

• Actually @zagor it's not always cold here like you people think, it's actually very hot where I live an our food is the exact same as the USA's except with less salt and sugar (hence the obesity, although Canada is not too far behind) and our poverty is not as bad here. We have free health care and a decent low income system for people that need it. But to each their own 😊

• It has it's good points - I love Montreal and Vancouver, and the mountains, and the non-Government people are nice - but it seems somewhat big-brotherish.

I don't really know that much about the heath care system; I know it is much better cost-wise, but I also know a lot of my Canadian relatives keep private US health insurance in case they need something major done in a hurry.

• I don't actually know why some do. I don't think it is.

• Where would rather live? What country do you think is better? What is your source of information?

• If you're gonna bring your "if you don't like america then leave!!" shit, then fucking go away. I don't want to hear it.

• Too bad! Your generation falls for all of the liberal brainwashing that the media feeds you and you hate the country that made you what you are. I have many ancestors who died to give us this country and to protect what we have and you want to trash it because it's the politically correct thing to do.

Do you trash your parents after all of the sacrifices they made to give you opportunities? Go tell them that you think they're second-rate parents.

You are still a naΓ―ve child. You will realize how wring you are when you grow up.

• Where do you live? I highly doubt it's a better country than America.

• It really isn't...

• it really isn't.

What Guys Said 20

• My question is why does everyone hate it? America has a relative lack of culture which can suck but has its advantages. I hear about lots of old blood feuds from people who have immigrated here yet whith in a generation its gone. We have nothing to tie us to the past. We had been in a cold war state with russia for nearly 50 years. I could not tell you one person who cares, who would judge a russian or hold grudges against the nation or any one with communisitc ideals (The ideals yes, but not the person not the culture not the ethnicity) Its all water under the bridge. I have never lived anywhere else so make of it what you will. I also think most americans don't really care where others are from or what they believe (at least not for very long) This is what I would consider the best quality america has to offer. I also know that other countries seem to be filled with people who hate america, yet from what I can tell have never lived here never taken the time to learn about us. We may not be very knowledgeable of other cultures (we do not have a lot of countries around us that we interact with so I don't think you can really blame us) and this can sometimes be taken personally. It really shouldn't. There are many preconcieved notions of america that people get wrong. One of those being that like most countries, the government and the people are two very diffrent things but those who don't live here I think confuse one for the other. I could go on a long tangent about what our government is doing wrong but that doesn't mean that I hate america. I believe that here despite our issues, everyone has a blank slate, no old wounds or hostilities, no tradition to hold you back, just you and your own objectives. To be fair though, most people hate america, you can see it in the comments, a lot seem to be from people who have never lived here others are from people who do but again, don't differintiate between government and the people. What do you think is the greatest country? Why do you believe that? Personally I don't think there really is a greatest country, some are definitley better then others, but it all comes down to what benefits speak to you the most, and what negatives you won't tolerate.

• Because it is. What other country has brought freedom to so many other people? What other country has done more when tragedy calls for a humanitarian response? What other country has such a high demand for immigration?

• Non of that is the best thing I mean there are countries that top of those things u mentioned

• Finland, Denmark, EU and Canada

• Tell me what countries owe their freedom to Finland, Denmark, Canada, and the EU. Give me statistics on how Denmark's humanitarian aid tops that of the US. Or the same for Finland, Canada, or the EU.

• 1. Because they confuse power with greatness.
    2. Because they're Americans.

Everyone (almost) thinks their country is the greatest. It's normally harmless but because of America's reach, it can get really irritating when you hear America's patriotism so much. Also, I'm sure some in charge honestly buy into the rhetoric which can be dangerous.

• People that go on about that are annoying. There are other great countries in the world.

• I would rather live in my country, Australia, Europe or Japan before I lived in America.

• There are a lot of places I've been to that I wouldn't mind living (haven't been to NZ) - Australia, Germany come to mind. But I still prefer the freedoms and geographical diversity here.

• @zagor If I had no family or friends in NZ I would still stay here. I love NZ and just so you know I don't hate America.

• Like MHO said there is good and bad in every country most people think their's is best.

• The people that think that are usually Americans living in the US. In reality, i believe there are more people that think we're the worst country in the world than the greatest.

• Yeah, I guess that is why so many people are trying to come here. Haven't been around much?

• Because free refills

• Because 90210.

I don't know there's just a lot of americans and a few of them are really patriotic.

• The Corvette, that's why.

• I will not agree with the "greatest" there are much better countries than USA but I will say that it was a good country like the rest. 😊

• What countries do you think are better? Based on what criteria? What is the source of your information?

• Oh @olderandwiser by the way KOREA WAS ONE COUNTRY after... AFTER AMERICA hopped in and broke it in to two like Russia...😚

• one country before*

• I know right? I thought they changed it to Merica O. o

• I don't know but it certainly is not a competition...

• I think America is viewed as the best place in the world because of how comfortable we are without really dealing with the consequences because, "we have people for that."

• would you be American by chance? Actually this is a very good question that got me thinking... and I am actually not sure what people in Uk would put forward as the answer.

• I am not American and I don't see America is the greatest country in the world that's why I asked this to see what people thunk

• Think *

• its so difficult to say, i suppose freedom of speech and opportunity counts for a lot so that rules out half the world as 'great', for me a top five would be UK, USA, Canada, France and Italy.

• im not American but i live in usa cause its the land of the opportunity

• South/North America are continents, the United States of America is a country and my answer is:no it is not.
    If you are an American you are living proof of it.

• Do they?(filler)

• because it is. we make very thing.

• India is the greatest country.

• Hmm. I suspect if you gave everyone in the US and India which one they preferred to live in and subsidized the move, the population of the US would be that of current India and the population of India would be that of the current US.

• Do people? I certainly don't.

• What countries do I think are better? It could be based on politics, demographics, natural landscapes, architecture, histiry, culture etc.

Although there are many countries that are better but off the top of my head, Iceland.