If you were in love with a friend and they didn't feel the same way could you still be their friend?

Most Helpful Guy

• 100% positive!
    I managed before with my closest friend, i loved her very deeply and i had feelings for her. Then she fell in love with a different guy. Ofcourse this really hurt but the hurt is temporary as i reasonably quickly managed to separate my feelings for her. Its possible since love isn't the same as your feelings. And once you love a friend without having feelings for them it won't hurt you.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been in that situation and we kept being close friends but it was sooo painful. Worst months of my life. Things changed after a while and then we started dating, but before that happened, being just friends was awful but I didn't want to stop being friends because that was gonna hurt even more.

• Did your relationship work out?

• Can I pm you? I need help and you seem to have experience in this area.

What Guys Said 7

• I think that is the toughest outcome and I think friendship is doomed because of underlying feelings.

• No it would be too painful

• I just got over a year-long crush on my friend. Asked how she felt about us being more twice: first time wasn't bad, second time hurt like a bitch. Or rather, I took it like one. Secretly, anyway.

But yeah. We're good now---like nothing awkward happened, it is such a relief---and I'm currently interested in another girl. Learned a lot through that experience.

• Of course! That's a dumb reason to throw a friendship away. I'd definitely have to take some time away from her to move on before I hang out with her regularly.

• Yes, I could. However, prudence would make me think that perhaps I shouldn't.

• That's what I'm trying to do rn. It really hurts, but I think about how I feel when I don't talk to her at all.

• Uh... i don't think so... it would just pain me to see "in my case" her not being with me

What Girls Said 8

• Yes, what kinda friend would I be if I didn't? I absolutely hate it when a guy stops being my friend just cus I am not romantically interested in him (I'm looking at you John, Chandler, and Chad😐).

• Why do you "absolutely hate it when a guy stops being [your] friend just cus [you're] not romantically interested in him?"

I wrote a mytake about this very issue. For some reason I've had difficulty linking mytakes to opinions, so if you're interested, just look under my profile.

• The majority of them start as friends, with the exception of John.

• I see.

Did they express hurt when they were rejected?

• Yes, I'd still be his friend as long as he would be willing to continue our friendship.

• No. I don't think so.
    IT would probably be difficult if I love him.

• Yes I would still be their friend.. Although it would be hard for me...

• lool. I'm in that situation now, and I'm still going to be friends with him, of course.

• No it would be awkward for me.

• No, I think its best to stay away for a while, until you can feel neutral in their presence again, although a while can turn into forever in some cases...

• yes i would.