Agree or Disagree: Religion in general should be blamed for all of the violence, atrocities, hatred and illnesses that has happened throughout the?

world and humanity/history of mankind?

• Agree
    14% (3)26% (9)21% (12)Vote
  • Disagree
    86% (19)74% (25)79% (44)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0
8|19

Most Helpful Girl

• ... that isn't even a logical argument. even an educated atheist would c the flaw in that statement.
    always wanting someone or something else to blame but our own ignorance sometimes. smh.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Joseph Stalin, killed millions of religious Christians because, "Religion is the opiate of the people."

Adolf Hitler, killed millions of religious Jews because he believed in eugenics and wanted to speed up evolution.

The Civil War was the bloodiest battle in American history, fought over slavery and trade tariffs. Not over religion. The abolitionists who wanted to free the slaves were Christian. The atheists/democrats wanted to keep them enslaved for their own selfish reasons.

Vietnam, another very bloody war. Fought purely over politics, not religion.

The wars going on now are not being fought over religion, they are being fought over land, money, and oil/resources. Just like the majority of wars throughout mankind. It is true some wars have been fought over religion, and the Bible even says God was the one who confused our languages when the world was at peace so we would fight each other. But you can't blame religion for all the violence, non-religious people are just as capable of being violent as religious people if not more so.

You're no better than Hitler or Joseph Stalin and this question should be removed for spreading hate speech against religious people. Stuff like this is what leads to genocide and mass murder. Not religion.

i3.kym-cdn.com/.../840.jpg

1|2
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• No its humanity being stupid and judgmental at its finest. They are sheep believing what poison is fed in their mind by someone no smarter than them.

1|1
    0|0
  • Lack of compassion, understanding, respect, a fucked up brain, etc. Some of which are rooted in radicalism and religion, but religion itself isn't to blame.

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you serious? Of course not it comes down to many different factors. I hate people who bring religion into whenever bad things happen.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lolreally?

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe that the reason for the world's dire state relates directly to unconsciousness, blindness, and a majority of humanity's unwillingness to take action.

Hence, I disagree. While I don't much appreciate the control that religion exercises, I do believe that this is a complex problem that extends far beyond religion.

A single reason (religion), while being partly innocent or partly responsible, cannot be the SOLE CAUSE of all the world's shit.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not really responsible for illnesses, but most of the shit that's going on in this world could've been prevented if religion didn't exist. But then you'd be left with really stupid people with no guidance so it could be just as bad.

1|0
    0|1
  • A lot of it sure! More back in the days than now, but of course not all violence.

0|0
    1|2

What Guys Said 18

• The notion is absurd. What have all the wars been about since the 1600s? Religion was a tool for power hungry people, the moment it splintered into so many groups it became less effective which is why it stopped being the motivator, now its for "freedom" or to "liberate" others. The ideology doesn't matter, just that it have a unifing ability and "wholesome" appearence.

1|1
    0|0
  • Religion often was the excuse. The hidden REASON was and is always GREED and power.

3|3
    0|0
  • No that's just stupid. If people in history were honest about what they were doing they would be saying "Slay the jews because we owe them money" instead of "slay the jews because god wills it!"

People use religion as a front to commit their atrocities. Religion has just become a scapegoat to take the blame for what we do. The Taliban, Al-Qaeda and ISIL are just a few exceptions but they don't follow the Quran very well. Most of them have probably never directly read from it.

2|2
    0|0
  • Disagree godless people still do terrible things. It is human nature more than anything. The Soviets, Nazi's, etc. had no set religion and even banned religious practices and they killed thousands of their own people, and committed some of the worst recent atrocities. You can't blame all of something on one thing like that. Religion has had its faults but they mostly revolve around ignorance. The only reason the Crusades/30 years war happened was because there was one large church, the catholics, and what they said went especially since the bible was a foreign language. Once protestants were thrown in the mix there isn't much to blame religion for. Muslim extremists are a very small fraction of the entire good populace of Muslims.

1|1
    0|0
  • Disagree. People are to blame.

1|2
    0|0
  • Nope. Religion and other 'causes' make the violence a thousand times worse, but they are not the root of such unpleasantness.

0|0
    0|0
  • How is religion to blame, are you a complete dumbass?

2|3
    0|0
  • To a degree - I can't make a blanket call it has caused a lot of trouble but not all of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • A lot of it comes to religion, but I think more often it is a part of the natural flow of all life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Religion has its uses but it is now outdated. Only a true brotherhood of mankind based of truth, goodness, and beauty can save us. Institutionalized religion basically claims a monopoly on God - he chose only us so you should join us or you'll be left out.

0|0
    0|1
  • Partially agree. It could be blamed for a lot of it but not the entirety.

0|0
    0|0
  • A lot of it yes, but not all

0|1
    1|1
  • People do bad things in name of a religion but that doesn't mean religion is bad

0|1
    0|0
  • Totally disagree and was the world war for relgion?

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah. Many others have cause unjustified death and mayhem.

0|1
    0|0
  • A lot, but not all.

0|0
    1|1
  • No, it's not even close. It's about power, money, and land in that order.

0|2
    0|0
  • Disagree. You could ban every religion on earth and you would still have a war or fights or hatred or atrocities. That is the nature of humanity.

0|2
    0|0