Do you know how to swim? Who taught you?

🚣

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 17

• Swimming is something like a national hobby/sport in my country (along with hiking). It's considered part of our identity, sort of like making BBQs or being fascinated by firearms in America. It's more than just a fun activity, it's something that is deeply ingrained in our culture/customs.
    While we unfortunately don't have a sea in Switzerland, we do have many lakes, ponds and rivers. The water quality is among the best in the world, only comparable to Scandinavian countries (you could actually drink from those lakes). In the spring/summer, everyone goes swimming in a lake or pond or river close by. Some people such as my parents go swimming up to 4 times a week during the hot season. We also have a lot of public pools everywhere (I don't know what they're called in English). They all have several large pools (usually one large 170 ft by 100 ft to swim as work out and 2 smaller pools plus one for the little kids/babies) and big lawns to lie on and sunbath. My city has a population of about 100,000 and we have about 8-9 of those public pool places, just to give you an impression. The public pools are funded with taxes, so the entry fee is very cheap. Many people also like to go swimming there if they don't go to the lakes or rivers. I think part of the reason why Swimming is so important in Switzerland is because Swiss people are obsessed with doing sports. When my girlfriend (who is Korean) came to Switzerland for the first time, she wondered why everyone here is so skinny/fit although our diet is quite hearty (especially to Germany, where obesity is a huge problem). The reason is because there's practically no Swiss person who doesn't regularly go swimming or hiking or cycling or jogging or something like that. Swimming lessons are mandatory in Swiss primary schools and I think that is how most children learn it. But I already knew how to swim before that because my parents like to travel and we often went to places at the sea. So I think I learned it when I was 4 or 5. Nowadays I especially enjoy swimming in one of our big rivers (Limmat) in the summer with my friends. It's a lot of fun because the river flows right through Zurich, our biggest city. So you can just sort of swim and dive and have fun and see the houses and streets pass by ;-). I especially love this because it's something that you wouldn't be able to do in other countries, because the water would be too dirty.

• I do. I'm from an island, we're thrown into the ocean seven days after birth. We're sons and daughters of Poseidon.

Ok, no, but honestly I do know how to swim, and I learned by going to the beach watching others and my parents telling me how you should do it. Then it was just practice.

• Haha! Omg.. My eyes went wide. :D

• I learned from swimming lessons.
    I remember being scared of water and being on a little baby slide with my mum holding her arms out at the bottom ready to catch me.
    She promised she would catch me so I wouldn't fall in but when I reached the bottom she moved out the way so I feel right in... Dick. 🙈

• My father taught me to swim when I was a child

• Yes. I took a few lessons at the park district pool.

• I've been a sailing instructor, I've been scuba diving.

• Actually, it takes more effort to stay under water than to float at the surface. Divers use leaded belts to help them.

• I think that's true

• I needed 3kg, and that big bottle

• Yes, I took swimming classes when I was a kid.

• Yes, I do. Uh... I took a swimming class. But I think I might've already known how to swim before that. Not very well, but well enough. I think I taught myself, and then the swimming class in school took me the rest of the way.

• Yes. I took lessons but did horrible in those. I eventually just taught myself how to swim.

• Dad threw me into the pool

• Hahaha cruel!
      "This is for your own good, son!"

• Haha yes
      It worked though, I was exhausted but I managed to keep my head up and swim to the side

• I can't swim.

• I used to then I forgot how to

• Yep. I taught myself. I grew up across the street from the beach so I was always there

• Yup my father I am a great swimmer elhamdlelAllah 😃

• Swimming lessons were mandatory at my primary school when I was a kid, so yah

• The swim teacher taught me

• Same here. I was 7 or 8 then. A friend PE teacher taught our son to swim at age 4.
      It's rather easy: we're no lifeguards (I have the certificate, needed it to be a sailing instructor) but my wife and I taught our son's friend (age 8 or 9) to swim.

• I forgot and i don't know

What Girls Said 16

• I learned how to swim when I was 8 years old. I took swimming lessons which embarrassed me because all the other kids in the swimming class were between 3-6 years old and I was 8 and I did not learn a single thing! Then I was lying on my back in the bath tub one day and realized I was floating. After that I realized I could swim!

• I took swimming lessons and I didn't want to get in the pool. This was happening all the time for the first 2 weeks, my instructor had given up and... he threw me into the pool. My dad was filming that... my whole effort to get to the top and get out. It was funny somehow

• Yes, I do know how to swim. Basically I taught myself I guess? When I was a kid I spent a loooooot of time at my grandma's and they have a pretty cool pond, so that's where I gradually learned how to swim.

• We had a pool. My parents just threw me in. I called myself "fishy" as a child... now that translates to mermaid

• Yes. I finally overcame my fear of water and learned it last year. I am able to swim longer distances now... I swim for an hour about 3-4 times per week. swimming course...

• That sounds cool!
      Great exercise too.

• Of course. I have been swimming since I was two years old. I grew up on the ocean and lakes so I was always in the water. My parents taught me and I also passed all my swimming lessons levels.

• Yes, I can swim. Nobody taught me, I've always been able to swim 😁

• Nobody ever taught me how to swim ! I'm not even kidding I'm 15 and I can't even step foot in a pool. My parents didn't seem to think it was very important as a kid. I really wish I knew

• My parents taught my brother and me. Probably from age 5 or 6. In local swimming pools.

• My parents taught me I think

• Yeah my mom taught me in Italy

• I can swim and I only have one leg

• i do a swimming instructor taught me

• My dad taught me how to swim but I forgot

• I learned it on my own.

• my parents taught me.