Are "transgender" people mentally ill? Because the truth is that it is impossible to change your sex. Can't change a xy cromosome to a xx cromosome?

• Yes they are mentally ill.
  • No they are not mentally ill. Sex and gender is a social construct.

Most Helpful Girl

• Obviously something is wrong with them. Whether they were actually meant to be the opposite gender and where messed up in utero or their brains are just not wired to accept the body and gender hey wee born.
    It is a natural thing, but plain and simple you are supposed to be either a male or a female and plain and simple dick is supposed to go into vagina. Hats how human bodies are programmed to function.
    It is a natural occurrence that something may go wrong with the wiring of your brain and body as a fetus or as a child. There is nothing that can really change that part or you and gay/trans people should not be judged or criticized for he way they were born and should be free to live and marry whoever they want.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 11

• Changing the biology is not the point. Identity is largely centred in the consciousness which exists in conjunction but separate from your biology. Trans people don't even need to experience dysmorphia to be trans.

Quite frankly, if it doesn't concern you personally, you should butt out. #JudgmentalPeopleAreJudgmental

• Actually your logic is a bit flawed, I'm afraid. Because I , a women, have male chromosomes, but i was born with a vagina and I'm completely a woman. Some people are born with the wrong chromosomes for their body. So your chromosome argument isn't applicable

• Do you ONLY have ONE x and ONE y chromosome? Because if you had, for example, two x chromosomes and one y chromosome, you'd be an "abnormal female".

• They don't want to change their sex, they want to change their gender, which is what they're perceived as. Some choose to fully take on the form of the gender they are, by getting surgery done on their genitals.

This is the definition of mental disorder:
    "A mental disorder, also called a mental illness or psychiatric disorder, is mental or behavioral pattern that causes either suffering or a poor ability to function in ordinary life."

Being transgender is not a mental disorder, as it does not inherently cause suffering or poor ability to function in ordinary life. The only way it may cause suffering or poor ability to function in ordinary life is if someone gets mocked or rejected for being transgender, which is not inherent to being transgender.

• Um they want to change their sex (their physical male/female plumbing), because their gender (man/woman/other etc etc) is different from their sex.

• They have gender dysphoria. Lookout up.

• That's not up to us to decide. That's up to professionals to figure out and they've already spoken. It's not a mental illness.

• Professionals can be payed off.

• So you're saying the whole medical community was paid off?

• Were did you get mentally ill from? no they are not what the hell

• OH LOOK ITS A TROLLL
    CUE THE MUSIC

BAMADABABAH there's A TROLL ON PATROL

• Everyone is disordered today.

• I think it is because I went to a special needs school before and a majority of the students were either gay/lesbian/bi/transgender.

• Gender is a social construct, sex however isn't. Transgenderism was once considered a psychiatric disorder, but because of protests it isn't any longer. Scientifically speaking it is though, but I don't think it requires treatment. Just let them get their sex-change operation and let them live whichever way it makes them happy.

• i dont think so.

What Guys Said 13

• Sex and gender are not the same.

Sex is not a social construct, but gender is. It has nothing to do with biology.

• They have a physiological / psychological disorder. Do you make fun of people with OCD, bipolar disorder, or depression? People don't choose to have OCD or depression, you know.

• There is no hard evidence that being transgender is a mental illness. The DSM 5 states that transgendered people are psychologically healthy.

• I can't speak for them for I suppose for people who are born as whatever sex they are and are happy with it they take it for granted. "I'm a man", "I'm a woman" but, for some people they just don't feel right in their skin. It's not necessarily about having a penis or a vagina it's about how they feel in their core and to them being their sex just feels wrong.

So no, they may not be able to become a complete man or woman but, getting as close to it as possible is something that brings them solace. Would you say that people who change themselves in different ways are mentally ill just because they're doing something that makes themselves happy?

• if you define "ill" by " a condition resulting in a suffering; harmful or distressing situation" , then the answer is clearly yes.

• Yes, they are.

• I don't know about mentally ill but it is some kind of disorder.

• What will this lead to

Whose to stop someone from wanting to become a dolphin?

• It's not a mental disorder per-se, it's more a mental psychosis.

• How many legs does a dog have if you say its tail is a leg?

• Yes as well as those who support them, 90% girls here support them but don't want to date them, isn't it hypocritical

• I don't think this gets much clearer than this

Anisogamy, or the size differences of gametes (sex cells), is the defining feature of the two sexes. By definition, males have small gametes (sperm); females have large gametes (ova)

In humans, typical male or female sexual differentiation includes the presence or absence of a Y chromosome, the type of gonads, the sex hormones, the internal reproductive anatomy (such as the uterus in females), and the external genitalia. People with mixed sex factors are intersex.

People whose internal psychological experience differs from their assigned sex are transgender or transsexual.

You cannot change your sex. Biologically speaking you are male or female. As for Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner if you are born male dressing as female but with the anatomy of a male still, no he isn't having sex reassignment surgery and even if he was it is just the male anatomy surgery made into a fake female anatomy, that is called cross dressing. He cannot have kids which is a major thing of being female, excluding females that can't because of medical problems or fertility issues. No matter how hard you try you can never change your sex only pretend and try to get others to pretend you are that sex as well.

• The more time I spend on the internet, the more I think most people are mentally ill.