Do you think guns save lives and citizens should have the right to bear arms?

I believe so. I remember one time while hiking with my sister in Northern California we came across a huge brown bear. It charged at us and it was evidently mad. We must have been near one of her cubs. Anyway, if I hadn't carried my little beretta jetfire with me (pictured below)... I would not be here today.

Just one shot to my sister's knee cap was all it took... the bear got her and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace. One of the best pistols in my collection...

Most Helpful Girl

• What a story LOL!
    I think it does more harm than good. It's not only about school shootings and kids killing other kids. I think it's the sole reason why US police officers are so brutal when they are confronted with non-white civilians who actually needed their help. There is this insane fear that they could bear arms and start shooting, because they are trained to think non-whites who catch their eyes are likely criminals, and criminals have guns and act irrationally. If guns were highly inaccessible and the only ones you can easily get are the big ones for hunting that can only shoot at a lower speed, police officers wouldn't be so crazy scared and rather hurt civilians than help them.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's difficult to say what the overall effect to society is. For example in the UK they don't have many guns and the murder rate is about a third to a quarter of the USA. But looked at another way the murder rate in the USA among people of British ancestry is actually lower than that of Britian, So maybe the murder rate is a cultural thing? Maybe magnified by access to guns, i don't know.

I think a gun can save an individuals life certianly, just as under other circumstances it can be a cause of a death which would not otherwise have happened.

I think even if guns are overall the cause of more death than they prevent that would not per se be a reason to ban them. The whole point of a right is that you hold it despite it being a danger or inconvience to others. That's the difference between a right and a priveledge.

• Murder rate is Britain has always been less than in the U. S. Murder rate went up when they banned guns.

What Girls Said 2

• LOL!

I don't think guns help people, only because i think most people aren't trained to use hem properly.
    My main problem is that teens can get a hold of them, i men can you imagine...
    Why would you give someone who is physically going through puberty and all the hormonal emotional craziness that goes with it, stuck in high school for like 8 hours a day (arguably the last gate of Hell) and then give them a weapon?

• I believe they should have the rights to have them but i also believe their should be people at schools with guns to protect the kids

What Guys Said 5

• What people some how don't pay attention to is the fact that making guns illegal won't stop criminals from getting illegal guns...

Also, the right to bear arms Isn't what you think. It is more the right to form a militia and private army as to escape a tyrannical government.

• fucked up story. but I do think that guns defend more than they hurt

• Man, twist ending.

• Over the last 20 years, per FBI crime stats, 500k-700k crimes have been committed per year in the U. S. by someone with a gun. In only about 10% of those cases was the gun actually used. On the flip side, 1.2-1.4 million crimes per year were stopped by a law abiding citizen with a gun. Can't argue with that. Look at the cities with the highest murder rates in the country. Chicago is Exhibit A. Highest murder rate in the country most years, Illinois has the strictest gun control in the country. Good luck getting a gun there if you are a law abiding citizen, but the criminals have plenty of guns. If you think banning guns will keep them from criminals, you are deluded. Huge gun control measures were enacted in England, look how the murder rate has shot up. And over there, women are only allowed to carry a rape alarm for fear of injuring their attacker. Look at police response times in your area. I fully support the police, but when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

• Yes, people should have the right to bear arms. It gives a 5'3" scrawny woman a chance against a 6'2" male. Without a weapon, the woman wouldn't stand a chance if her life counted on it.