Have you ever noticed older people mostly dislike “junk” food?

I hardly see people in their 50s say “I love pizza” or “I love fries” but I’ve seen tons of people in their 20s say it.

Is it impossible for a person who’s in his/her 50s to love junk-food? I guess they ate those stuff in their 20s…and now they don’t want ‘em?

Most Helpful Girl

• Really I know a ton of old people that like junk food. The difference is the meat they ate was actually meat and not pink slime.
    But most older guys I know love steak and potatoes, like every single old man.
    Growing up meat was really the primary part of your meal and still is.

• do u know oldies who eat pizza 3-4 times/week? :p

• Also I know that once my grandma started having digestive issues her doctor gave her a huge list of what she couldn't eat. I feel like that's what happens to a lt of old people.

• Thanks for MHO

What Girls Said 4

• Maybe its because they know their metabolism sucks at that age and won't be able to burn off all those calories so quick.

• I think they like but it is because of health issues they do not prefer to eat junk food.

• lmao hahahaha My father was in his late 70s & he still loved pizza & fries.

• Yeah I noticed that too. I hope I can still eat junk food when I'm 50 lol

What Guys Said 11

• Nope!

All these observations that are way off. lol. My system is different than when I was 20. But it is nowhere near what some people on this have suggested. I have had type II diabetes as long as I can remember, and my cholesterol does try to go high. But it is all under control. I cook a pizza about once a week and have left overs from it after that. I often eat lunch at a fast food restaurant, which includes fries every time.

But there are so many good things to eat that spending all my time on fast food would cut into the good stuff. I like Mexican, Chinese, and Irish to name a few. Plus often just cook a meal and eat at home. Occasionally a Subway sandwich.

Also love going to the buffet diners to sample a bit of everything.

Metabolism is not much different. Still keep myself in shape easily enough.

Prone to illnesses? That's a laugh. I work in a warehouse with a lot of younger folks, and other than a couple of days over the last twenty years, the only "sick" time I have taken was to care for sick family members. Meanwhile, many of the younger guys are sick at least once a month, sometime more.

When I hit 80, maybe then my system will have problems with junk food. I will let you know then. lol.

• whoa very nice... hope i can eat my fries often as well when i hit my 60s :D

• No reason you shouldn't. (Though the drive me crazy by putting way too much salt on them.)

• i put lots of mayo actually LOL

• I don't know for Britain or America but in continental Europe, where I come from, the simple answer is that people in the 50s grew up without any junk food or fast food. For example McDonald's only exists in my country Switzerland since the early 80s or so. And we also don't have a lot of fast food chains in general. We have McDonalds, Burger King and Subway. That's it. We don't have any donut stores or KFC or Taco Bell or Pizza Hut or anything like that. We also don't have any Swiss chains that make similar types of food.
    So, while I have sort of grown up with fast food and junk food (though I don't eat much of it), my parents' generation hasn't. When my parents were young, these things didn't even exist. They both ate a lot of hearty dishes that are typical for our national cuisine. Pizza was already a big deal in Switzerland when my parents were young but not as a junk food. In fact, I don't even think of Pizza as junk food nowadays, in my generation. When I want Pizza, I either it in a restaurant that is actually owned by an Italian guy/family (which means the Pizza is fresh and light), or I make it myself at home.

• mcdonald's xist since 1940 actually. and pizza hut since 1958.

so which pizza do u consider junk? frozen pizza?

• eating it. All those artificial colorings and artificial aromas and benzoic acids and emulsifiers and corn syrup and potassium bromate and sodium nitrite etc. etc. I find it crazy that some people just eat all this crap and don't even think about it. By homemade I mean fresh products. Organic vegetables, local meat that doesn't come from Hungary or China and is treated with antibiotics, whole wheat bread, that type of stuff. And honestly, it's not just health issues, it's also taste for me. Junk food is an insult for my taste buds. Everyone who's ever had a real, Italian pizza simply can't eat those frozen crap or the convenience food anymore. I'd rather not eat anything at all than a crappy pizza.

• -if u wanna have "correct spellin" read my takes. i just write like dat FOR FUN. don't go so stingy!!
      -i hardly work-out.. although i walk 30 mins-1hr daily. yet still thin : i can prove docs wrong :p
      -again i almost NEVER go sick. i can skip a year without being sick at all, and if i go sick it's once/year max. and nope never had "diabetes"
      -c'mon now... nobody would believe u if u say dat u dislike JF... ok by avoidin it... but u gotta admit EVERYONE likes it's taste. i
      -and u know wot? if u don't go physically sick... u'll go MENTALLY sick if u overanalyze wot kind of shit every food has. u'll end up being just obsessive-compulsive ;)
      -i wanna see u if u end up being stranded in a desert island for 1 month and there was ONLY a McDonald's restaurant there... would u die from starvin? :p

anyway if GAG's still around when i turn 40... and if u r still here as well... i'll prove u wrong once more :D :D :D

• I think dislike is too strong a word - It is an age thing we don't have digestive system of a 20 year old - A junk food meal would have me on antiacids for 24 hours.

• really? that's too much... o_O

• I can eat "junk" food occasionally and be fine. I don't have any health issues (maybe I could stand to lose 10 pounds, but whatever). I can appreciate a messy plate of nachos or a good slice of pizza once in a while. I couldn't only eat junk food, but in moderation it's not bad.

• Because at that age their bodies can feel the effects of that much fat/ sugar.

• The body does not handle certain foods well later in life... pizza being loaded with grease and dairy can be unruly to someone in their later years

• ... I'm not old.

• weren't u sayin yesterday u eat fries filled wid cheese? LOL

• eh tha's nothing then... i eat fries at least thrice/week

• Its just because older folk are more rone to illnesses that can come from that consumption. As you age, you naturally can't do things you used to when you get older. Cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc are more likely in mid-life than in your teens, 20s & 30s.

• I'm ok with junk food. Don't often eat it but don't dislike it.
    The only think I won't eat is Mc Deaths although Burglar king is fine and very tasty

• People who eat that stuff are less likely to get old...

• Because of health issues most of them avoid it