Is it possible to not have a birth certificate?

I asked my mom to see mine. She said that i dont have one because i came from an orphanage in Africa and no one knows i was born. I thought she was joking but she really doesn't have one.

Most Helpful Guy

• In my state, when a baby is born the birth is registered but you don't actually get an official birth certificate unless you request one from the health department (where the birth is registered).

The state where I was born does something similar, except they gave my parents a document which we all thought was my birth certificate, but it was a "registry of birth" or something like that. Everybody accepted it until I applied for a passport when I was in my late 20s.

Most Helpful Girl

• She's messing with you! My Mom tells me I was found in a trash can even though we look just alike 😂😂

• I don't look like my mom. I look like my dad though. I think she's lying but I don't know.

What Guys Said 4

• I think this is quite true. It's very sad, I think. It is one of the important things to link you to your origins, and who you are. Maybe the orphanage has some information, but your mum may have all (if anything) that they had.

You must have some sort of ID though, that's a starting point.

• If in adoption cases there should be paperwork

• Yes it is possible.. People born without birth certificate usually happens in poorer countries.

• It is. Some people are really lousy at paperwork, maybe your parents are some of them.

What Girls Said 4

• Then you likely have adoption papers that are the equivalent of a birth certificate.

• Yeah. If my great grandma doesn't have one because she was a door step baby. She has a form of when they estimate she was born

• If you are not born in hospital or don't get registered you don't have one. My grandfather was the only one of his siblings to have one because he was born in a hospital and not at home.

• I guess it's possible then