Should I change career paths even if my parents threaten to cut off the funding for my education?

I've done some searching ever since I got to college and kinda followed my parents path and it took me 70 credit hours to realize I hate my current major. I've researched different fields and plan to minor in geology and found environmental science is an easy transfer and a lot of my classes will not be wasted. I will graduate in about the same time but may take an extra semester at most. My mom is pissed and said that is a waste of a degree and doesn't want me to be a park ranger or go to grad school go work on how to manage where bodily wastes go. She said if I change she will no longer pay help pay for school.

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you want a career you love or to have your bills paid? Long term vs short term. But bills can definitely be long term too, really

• Yeah no doubt im in a difficult spot.

• I will complete my minor but env science interisted me more and I plan on doing other things besides dealing with bodily waste or driving around a park. I want to work in alternative energy and attend grad school. I can't see myself as a field geologist or in the fracking setting let alone going to grad school.

• You'll find your niche. And your life won't always be in the hands of your mother. You'll have your own house, own family, own career and own bills. As long as whatever you happen to choose is in demand, you're golden. 4 years or however long you're in school is a small period of time that could effect you for the rest of your life. That'd be the hold your mother would have on you even if I'd personally love her to death for paying haha I wish you much luck (:

What Girls Said 5

• My parents told me they'd pay for 4 years of school. If I changed my major or wanted to continue on, after the 4 years, the bill was on me. Seemed fair. Not sure if cutting funding is fair in your case, but if I were footing the bill for college I'd be pissed if they decided halfway through to switch majors and go longer. I'd cut them off after 4 years too. If you want to go on and switch then own it and pay for it.

• Well I'm not going to be there any longer most likely and I am only 2 years in at the moment. I need to minor and geology is a good minor for env science that I'm almost done with any ways. I haven't wasted a class yet technically so I don't know why she's so against it. I plan to attend grad school after which will will pay me to go.

• I would stick with Geology and then minor in environmental science. Geology is going to be more versatile and you'll still have the ES background. You get to be happy and so does your mom.

• I wish I liked geology enough to go to grad school with it though. I will never even consider grad school unless I'm interisted. I can suck up a few more semesters but after that I don't want to work or study the crap anymore.

• Just finish your Bachelors and then take a gap year or an internship. Then you can have life experience

• Wow... that's shitty, change now while you can instead of being miserable the rest of your life

• I've seen from my own mom that she is very resentful of her mother. She always squashed my moms dreams and basically flattened her self esteem. So i would do what you want to do. you'll be resentful later in life if your mom stops you and she will forgive you at some point mostlikely. Whenever you make a descion just remember, is this YOUR life or theirs?

• Yes you should.

• Well I don't want to deal with paying for school myself. My mom would meet me half way if I stay in geology but I don't want to do a 6 week field camp in the middle of nowhere next summer or take a bunch of upper division hours in classes i hate.

What Guys Said 1

• Definitely go with what you want. Your mother should ashamed that she doesn't support what you want. My mom fully supports what I want to do and told me when she was a kid her parents didn't support her dream to be a horse trainer so she didn't do it. She says she regrets that all the time. It'll suck IF she really does cut funding but you may just end up with a little more student loans...