Dont you hate when cashiers comment on what you're buying?

there's really no need

Most Helpful Girl

• They seem to do it every time I get condoms. "Have a great night." Or something like that. Also, one time I bought Plan B (shoot me) and the cashier forgot to take the magnetic alarm tag off, so when I walked out, the alarm went off. The security lady looked at my bag, said "just go" and pushed me towards the door. All that aside, I wasn't embarrassed, just somewhat amused.

Most Helpful Guy

• I know, I hate when I just happen to be buying a tub of vaseline, latex gloves, and a ski mask the cashier asks me what I'm doing

What Girls Said 13

• It makes me feel a little awkward sometimes, yeah. I'm not even buying anything dodgy but I guess I just don't like them commenting on it :/

• The only thing I've ever had them comment on were my produce choices and whether or not I want the milk double bagged.

• They've never done that to me. :O

• I have never had this happen to me personally before. I was in line behind a gentleman one time tho who was buying a pregnancy test and the cashier said "im sorry" and he flipped out. He called the manager and everything. I agree that, that was a rude comment to make when someone was apparently buying a test for his wife/gf/friend or whoever. But if someone commented on my yogurt or popcorn, i probably wouldn't care. Really depends on what the comment is I guess.

• sometimes. id rather them talk than be completely quiet and not smile actually.

• Honestly yes but as a cashier myself I know it's part of the job to try and make conversation if not we get a talk. But I know some cashiers get a little to nosey with their comments or rude

• tbh i don't really mind

• It depends on what they say.. last time the cashier said that the noodles I bought would taste great with crème fraîche which was absolutely fine :)

• I think they are just trying to make small talk. It doesn't really bother me.

• (laughing)
    I am used to both cashiers AND fellow customers commenting.
    It would be weird for me if they didn't.

• I agree that there's really no need. But it never happened to me.

• Sometimes I feel awkward if they comment on something personal. Otherwise, I just smile and respond.

• a cashier shouldn't be commenting on anyone's bought goods. I mean do doctors comment on your disease or lawyers on your problems?

What Guys Said 9

• Thankfully this has never happened to me but if they were to comment something rude on my groceries, I'd comment on their choice of career.

• Having cashiered a lot, you have to strike a middle ground. You actually instructed to talk with customers as you make them feel more welcome, and in fact many people prefer if you talk to them instead of emotionlessly standing there...

Just don't say things like, 'wow the big box of condoms, someone is having fun tonight!'

But if someone is buying something, say a blender, just say your mom has one or something she loves it and you think it is a great buy.

• Yeah
    I mean... if I wanna buy 6 carrots , a tube of lube and a dogs chew toy... who are they to judge?

• No not really because I don't say much to keep a conversation going anyway, I also tend to go to self check outs when available.

• Kondoms. What is ur size? 👌🏼

• Yes that's why I do self scan/scan as you shop. (the hand hold scanners you use yourself)

• Nah I don't mind it

• Doesn't happen often

• They're just trying to have a conversation. Makes it all a little less awkward, you know.

If you don't want it to happen, just include condoms, a bottle of whiskey and a large cucumber in your shopping.