What is your opinion of the word 'mansplaining'?

According to Wikipedia, it is "defined as "to explain something to someone, typically a man to woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing." Lily Rothman of The Atlantic defines it as "explaining without regard to the fact that the explainee knows more than the explainer, often done by a man to a woman," and Rebecca Solnit ascribes the phenomenon to a combination of "overconfidence and cluelessness" that some men display."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansplaining)

I've seen it described as being a good term to descibe some men's condescending attitude and a term some feminists use to shut up men who disagree with them.

So what's your opinion?

(Other sources if you want: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mansplaining and http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mansplaining)

• In my experience, the word is generally used correctly.
  • In my experience, the word is generally used unfairly to quieten down men who disagree with women.
  • In my experience, it's about 50/50. The word is normally used right as often as it is used wrong.
  • Other
  • I don't have any real experiences with this word/See results

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it might be something that comes a little more naturally to men. It's where you explain something so confidently that you give the impression that you actually know what the fuck you're talking about lol. People aren't always aware they are doing it.

Feminists do it more than anyone, but accuse others of it or just men in general as 'more evidence of the patriarchy' as well as shutting down opposition.

What Girls Said 1

• It's one of the many ignorant and bully minded words created by feminist to try and shame and stifle males from having a voice.

What Guys Said 3

• it's a way to shut up men.
    I mean, it was pinned by 3rd gen radfem, the same people who SHOUT A LOT about CHCK YOUR PRIVILEGIE whenever someone spreaks against them, or cry RAPE whenever someone they don't like looks at them, and who's against MANSPREAD and whatever the hell.

It's frigin obvious it's meant to shut down males. And what's funny about it? The very explanation of the world aknowledges that she knows less than him, and that he has supperior knowledge on the subject.
    So kind of counterproductive, don't you think? And the fact they just use it to shoot you down just makes the world (especially the men) not take them serious AT ALL.

• Women are evil end of story and i am not talking about it from a religious standpoint either. most women are lying hypocrites THATS WHY THEY WERE LOCKED UP FOR YEARS WITHIN SOCIETY IN THE FORM OF SEXISM NOT BECAUSE THEY WERE PHYSICALLY WEAK OR BECAUSE OF SOME FANTASY MALE OPPRESSION STORY.

• "THEY WERE LOCKED UP FOR YEARS"

"FANTASY MALE OPPRESSION STORY"

Kind of contradictory there, no?

• I simply believe that "where there is a will there is a way" and so
      "FANTASY MALE OPPRESSION STORY" is nothing more than a poor excuse to women's own personal flaws sure there were oppressors but not to the point of how people are trying to project it though. ITS A LIE at least TO ME

• *poor excuse to hide*

• Women do that too, just about different things.

I think the condescending tone comes from men's shock that the woman didn't already know this. There are a truly surprising number of adult women who don't seem to have paid much attention to the physical properties of everyday objects and materials. I don't know why that would be unless by paying more attention to people they have less to spare for things but I've encountered it too many times to doubt it.

This is not all women of course, there are plenty with good mechanical and material knowledge but it's much more common for them to be shockingly ignorant than for men to be.