Do I have to bring in a 'sick note' to work if I'm off ONE shift? HELP?

On Monday I had a shift at work. It's a bad retail store and it's always warm. It was a 3hrs shift for £3.79 p/h. I decided to call in sick because I had another shift from my other job at a call centre for 7hrs for £7 p/h. As you can see I decided to go with the better job. I called in at the retail store at 8am and my shift was meant to start at 12pm. I said to the supervisor I had an eye infection and my eyelid had swelled up so I had to book a doctors appointment to get it checked out. She said I had to bring in a doctor's note if I missed a shift. HOWEVER, in my contract it says I don't have to bring in any medical note unless if I'm off for 7 days or more to be entitled for sick pay. I don't want or need any sick pay. Also, in the gov. co. uk website it also state I DONT have to bring in any medical note to an employer if I'm off for less than 7days. I was off one fucking shift!! What do I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you're in the clear

• Any idea what's the worst that could happen

Most Helpful Girl

• Even though This and That is Stated in Accordance to 'This and that' here, dear, it seems your own Supervisor may have her own set of set rules and is making you jump through a few hoops To... Keep your job and all of its shifts.
    To please her, keep the peace and silence is golden would be my best bet and advice at this time, go see the Emergency Room Doctor to tell them you need your eye Checked because something 'Strange' got inside it. If you have to Add more food for thought to this ridiculous recipe, cut up a few Onions to make the batch seem real so it becomes Not a raw deal, but at Least... My eyelid had swelled up.
    You Need to do something to save the day and your job and even if it is this fly by night 'Bad retail store' Spot, it;'s a job you cannot afford to lose because you decided To... Go with the better job.
    Maybe one day it will be possible to get more hours at This other job. But for now, let this be a little lesson in life that there is sometimes is a price to pay for some strife.
    Good luck. xx

• Hey, thanks for the advise but in the NHS website it states as well as in my contract which I signed before I worked for the company is 'you employer should not ask for a medical note as evidence that you have been ill IF you're off for 7 or less days' I have been off for 1 shift. I don't think even if I seriously was ill my doctor would've gave me the note as I have already had an eye infection before and it lasted 3 days after I got medication

• Oh, so welcome.. Okay, so you have already been OFF a shift before with this eye? xx

• I was under the impression from what I read, that you Used it as an excuse to work the better job. xx

What Guys Said 4

• You don't have to bring a sick note, but it wouldn't be a big issue if you actually had one. Not bringing one will surely cause suspicion. You are screwed, basically. And justly so.

You can't call in sick and then work another job. Your insurance would not have covered anything should anything have happened. If you're sick, you can't work. If you're working, you're not sick. What you did is borderline fraud.

• It's not fraud as I am a student and I have two jobs, simple. Don't understand why you're saying its fraud

• Are you American or what

• No, I'm in The Netherlands, and you're right, I missed that part. That is a messed up system though :D If I call in sick, I still get paid.

• You kind of messed up with your reason to be off. An eye infection will take some time to cure and if you go in the next day that's gonna be obvious that you were lying.
    so you don't need a sick note but they are gonna notice you are lying about it. You could say the doctor said it was just some bad grit in your eye and its fine now no prescription needed, false alarm. that might be enough to get yourself out of this one. Good luck

• It was on Monday and I'm going in on a Friday. I have had an eye infection which was a cyst, I got medication and it went away in 3days.

• Oh right, in that case the employer can demand a note if you have 5 days or more absent from work in a row.
      So you should be alright.

• I think I should be alright however she the supervisor said I had to bring in a medical note even though she knew my next shift was on a Friday? I'm honestly thinking about handing in a letter of notice to quit if they become hostile or rude towards me tommrrow

• Say you did not go to the doctor, so you don't have a note. You had a cold for a day, then go back to work.

If she writes you up, in the comments make reference to the employment contract and cite the related legal code, then go over her head, or to HR. If it doesn't get resolved and go away, leave that job. There are jobs that are run by bosses who know that employees are PEOPLE.

• I don't know. Each workplace is different. I guess either ask your manager or your HR department.

What Girls Said 4

• I am a employer here in the UK, and what you have read is absolutely correct.. I would there fore suggest that you print off the relevant section from the website, and upon returning to your retail position, furnish this NOT to your supervisor, but directly to your HR department.

Should they ask why you have done this, please do not be afraid to tell them in short detail the reason way

It would seem very apparent to me that certain staff members within that company could do with serious in-house training, to bring them up to date with the current UK employment legislation.

• Go to HR and tell them you pretended to be sick so that you could work another job. Yeah that's one way of making sure you get sacked lol

• You are very welcome.. But please DO NOT go making a habit of doing this.

• I won't it was just a one time thing but now I know to get my shifts sorted out well in advanced

• you can write yourself off work for a few days without the need for a sicknote... so you dont need to give one.

• What do I say to the lady on my shift tommorrow. The company is Well known for treating their staff badly and because I'm 17 one of the younger workers I feel as though they'll try to intimidate me

• just say 'my doctor said i can write myself off and so didn't want to give me one when it wasn't required'

• Contract trumps her verbal demand. Especially since she's just a supervisor and not the actual owner, I'm assuming.

• So what do I say lol

• Just bring in the contract in case she asks, maybe she'll forget about it, and tell her you're by contract not required to give her a doctors note because you only missed one day.

If you don't have the contract, just politely ask her to pull it up and then respectfully point it out to her.

• print that paper out and bring it in.