Do you think kids nowadays are reading less than kids of previous generations?

With all these media devices out there nowadays to distract us, are kids reading less now then kids of revious generations in your observations?

By reading, i mean actual books

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I do. My 3 year old niece (I know she doesn't know how to read yet) spends all day watching videos on my sister cellphone, and when my sister isn't at home, she uses the Ipad.
    I'm sure if she knew how the read, the situation would be the same.
    It's a shame that nowadays kids don't read anymore. I feel sorry for them.

What Girls Said 5

• Well yes and no. Less people could read back then. More kids know how to read than kids from a generation or so ago. But the quality of the material has taken a nose dive. Yes, Hank the Cowdog is nice when a person is young. But when someone has never read anything of actual depth, has never read a classic, that's a tragedy.
    Maybe I'm biased because I spent my summers in the library. But reading is vital to a wide vocabulary and learning proper English.
    I wish parents would devote time to help their kids and instill a love of reading in them. So many guys my age can't read well. That's sad because everyone is given a free education but not the proper encouragement and one on one time.

• Yes... when I was a kid I was reading books literally ALL THE TIME. I loved it.
    I have younger cousins, and they don't even read half as much as I did when I was their age.

• LOL no offence but u sound older than me :p

even if i'm a bunch years older than u i hated books... i prefered gadgets since then :|

• @Klaatu51 hahaa, I was just that kind of kiddo I guess xD now I don't read books anymore lol

• It depends on which generation your talking about, plus there's always exceptionss. I love to read, plently of 17 and 16 year olds who love to read as well, plus I've seen children get tons of books at my local library, the library is actually full with people of all ages.

• I love reading but my younger bros does not like it as much.

• Kinda and I blame their parents.

What Guys Said 6

• No they are reading twice as much.. They read all day because of face book and phones also they still have reading at the school

• The time they spend playing computer games can't be used to read.

• readin for school u mean?

• Actually that read a lot more example text, social media, etc

• Definitely. The amount of illiteracy and lack of basic math skills these days is shocking. We've created a generation of numbskulls. Meat for the grinder... A large war should thin the heard.

• On the better side , they still have more knowledge than kids of previous generations.