Are you a feminist?

Are you a feminist?

What does it mean to be a feminist to you?

• Yes I am a Feminist.
  • No I am not a Feminist.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, of course. The belief that women should have the same social, personal, cultural, economic, and political rights that men have is basic human decency. Any attempt at justifying bigotry is morally corrupt and logically absurd.

The problem is that every organization in the world has its extremists that then get trotted out whenever anybody wants to attack an organization. Saying that feminists, as a group, are fundamentally flawed because of the actions of extremists is just as illogical as saying all followers of Islam are ISIS terrorists or that all Christians are terrorists that support murder and kidnappings because of the Lord's Resistance Army.

People are inherently equal in terms of the rights they are owed by society as a whole, and the way they should be treated. That is pretty much the end of the story. Trying to bash a movement whose goal is equality is simply a way to enforce some personal bigotry, or to back up those that are trying to do so.

Problems associated with radical feminism are the same as problems with radical anything, and the actions of a few radicals does not change the actual point of the movement - equality. Those that promote misandry, those that push for the elevation of women's interests above men's, are not actual feminists, regardless of what they claim, because feminism by definition is about the equality of women. They can call themselves what they want, but if they are pushing for one gender over another, they are not upholding the spirit of the movement, and they cannot be held as representatives of the movement as a whole.

• " because feminism by definition is about the equality of women. They can call themselves what they want, but if they are pushing for one gender over another, they are not upholding the spirit of the movement" --- MASSIVE contradiction.

What Guys Said 36

• ^ this is not what a feminist looks like

to me, being a feminist means chasing down a man then punching and kicking him until he dies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXowTxmhQ5w

^ feminism in a nutshell?

Generally, I’m not a member of any group. I’m independent, I don’t like to follow anyone (except my followers on GAG) I prefer to walk on my own path

Also

www.troll.me/.../lesbians.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBUdxLsS5g4

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

• since i support gender equality yeah :)

• I am not. The notion that men and women are identical yet men are immoral enough to oppress there wives/daughters/mothers/sisters for the entirety of human existence seems a bit one sided, especially when considering that these same men sacrificed themselves for women on a regular basis, these same men worked themselves to death in the fields for these women, these same men where expected to defend a womans "honor"(ie her reputation and feelings) even if it meant his own death. It is a very lopsided view that only looks at how women have had it bad, instead of looking at how things actually worked. Creating a society that believes that to be feminine is to be weak, and to be masculine is to be strong. To believe that we are not biologicly diffrent and yet punishing men for there biology, to claim women are the only ones suffering and/or the reason why men suffer so much is because men are oppressing themselves. Its an ideology that has created a rift between genders turning us against eachother when we are clearly designed to compliment eachother not compete against eachother.

• I am all for gender neutrality and gender equality, but I don't really feel comfortable identifying as a feminist ever since I saw the FCKH8 movement. I don't want to be associated with things like that. I don't think the male genitalia are an instrument of rape either.

• I'm late to this question but wth?

I'm honestly not sure. I used to. My issue is that femnism is an umbrella term for many different groups, some of which are awful. This, and a few issues I have with the wider movement lead me to avoid identifying as a feminist these days.

I understand that people have many different interpretations of the word so when someone identifies as a feminist, I understand that they are saying the dictionary definition fits them, which is fine. It fits me too. The issue is that the feminist movement appears to have the PR skills of Justin Beiber and Charlie Sheen. The movement is what I struggle to associate myself with.

• No, I am not. Not interested in a rotten, hypocritical and toxic movement.

Even if it wouldn't be the above, I still wouldn't be though as I don't believe in equality neither do I think it is functional.

• How can you not believe in equality?

• I am very well aware of the experiment. This article here is a bit better written about it: http://www.mostlyodd.com/death-by-utopia/

• Also I don't think OP will reply anymore. What a shame.

• I'm all for equality but I won't label myself as feminist. No thank you.

• I support gender equality , thus I'm a feminist, yes.

• I believe in gender equality

• I am a feminist but I am 100% against feminazis. The goal is equal rights. Not more, or misusing your "oppressed" position.

• They vote for the same politicians so what is the difference? They both have the same effect on society.

• No, I reject feminism for what it has become: a movement to promote female superiority. I'm not down with that at all. I do support gender equality, which, in America, was achieved some years ago.

• No I am not a Feminist. backer

• I'm not sure.
    I mean, I support gender equality and stuff so I suppose, by definition, I am a feminist but I don't want to include myself with the misandrist part of the movement. They ruin it for feminism.

• The moderates vote for the same politicians as the radicals.

• I remember seeing one of his answers saying he deliberately blocks people so he doesn't get downvoted, but I can't take him seriously. He's probably a troll lmao

• Yeah I thought that too lol

• These kind of questions unnerve me.

Say I was to choose "No I am not a Feminist", does that mean I'm not for equality? If I choose to refuse the Feminist label in favour of Egalistarianism, does that make me a misogynist?

All in all, this is a very "You're either with me or not" kind of question and I refuse to select an option.

• I support the equality between men and women but I don't have to be a feminist for that so no.

• I'm for equality. However, the very word "Feminist" in it self is gender biased.

• Yes. I want men and women to be equal.

• Depends some things I do agree on, some things I do not. You can't really have equal rights given the fact the two sex's are so very different and naturally have different qualities strengths and weeknesses that balance each other out. There are things I agree with and disagree with when it comes to feminist.

• No I am not but I believe men and women should have equal rights.

• which is literally what feminism is...

• Is it? but I thought being a feminist means a person who believes in favour of women, will say things in favour of women only, isn't it?

• Correction, I just looked up to your words and you are right. I agree with you.

• I am not, as I think that their is a hidden agenda behind the front of the feminist movement. It pouts the definition of equality between sexes, and acts against those aims. It has worked hard to put forth a definition that suits its needs in our dictionaries, and encyclopedias. But doesn't hold up to that promise. This is discussed in a few feminist forums and is an open secret. I define feminism as a movement to promote the needs and wants of women, especially the members of the movement.

• No I am a Christian.

www.gunandgame.com/.../

• You can be both...

• How can you take the bible so literally? It was written thousands of years ago, thank goodness society has progressed since then. "Religion is the opiate of the masses"; Karl Marx. It's a man made construct that works to maintain patriarchy. Any teaching that a certain group is inferior to another is not a message from God.

• That quote you just regurgitated was used to justify the murder of millions of Christians. Blocking you now since you showed your true colors as a commie sympathizer.

• I only say no because I don't like the title. I believe in equal opportunity for everybody, but saying "feminist" would mean I'd also have to call myself a "homosexualist" or a "minorityist".
    I'll just say I'm tolerant of everybody.

• I'm not a feminists as you can support equal rights for men and woman without being a feminist. Now days feminism is all about proving woman are superior to men, which woman are not superior to men the same way men are not superior to woman.

• That is not true. Those who think that way are not true feminist, and you must correct them and educate them on what it truly means to be a feminist. You can't say you're not a feminist and then go on to say you support everything that feminism is about, and say you don't support these people who claim to be feminists (when they really aren't)

• @coulditbeemily Can't be done. When a guy tries to argue such a thing with someone who wrongly identifies as a feminist, he gets accused of "mansplaining". Which basically means that he's arrogant to attempt to argue femnism to a feminist. This is one of the issues I have with feminist groups. They seem incapable of seeing men's opinions as anything other than a threat.

• Sorry for the needless notification llorando. Well, two notifications now. :P

• well we have bigger words now. feminism is a small part of egalitarianism. i believe in egalitarianism thus i am by definition a feminist, and when on specific topics to feminism i would probably say feminism, but if im talking about general issues i will always use the term egalitarianism.

• Voted "yes", although the best answer would be: I'm a pro-feminism or a feminist supporter. I think the term "feminist" should be reserved for those who are the protagonists of the movement: women.

• Someone just recently posted this on GAG: https://youtu.be/vNErQFmOwq0

• My gosh, this opened my eyes.

• Yup it takes a woman to speak out about the hypocrisy of the modern day feminist movement.

• Hands down the most insightful/politically inclined videos I have seen so far. Honestly, I cheer this woman, I respect her and I abhor this so-called "reverse sexism" that is happening at the hands of third wave "Feminists".

Never have I seen a Feminist speak of male issues or benefits women have over men in such a way as this woman has. Good on her.

• Yes. Female superiority isn't feminism, it's sexism; and for everyone who says that there's no men's rights movement, there is: it's called 'masculism'.

• I'm not a fucking feminist and I hate them. Feminism is not about equality, it's something like nazi shit.

• No that's feminazis, radical feminists who completely undermine what true feminism is about.

• I like to consider myself one. I try to act following the movement's ideologies.

• no it is a movement of degenerate females that want to blame men for everything while absolving their own responsibility.
    it is a sexist, anti-male hate movement.
    and i avoid feminists like the plaque they are.
    such vile creatures.

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 12

• I've always been calling myself a feminist, but it's been pointed out to me several times here on GaG that my views are called "egalitarian" now. Whatever it is, I believe in living harmoniously together, and not knocking down one gender for the sake of taking power as the other. [insert the gender, however it may apply]

• yeah egalitarianism is basically all demographics of humans having their own respective group. like the ultimate lgbt but for everything.

• sorry, was vague. their own respective movement is what i meant to say. you get the gist.

• I'm considering changing my "label" because it's just freaking way too many people out. I see a lot of shit going down for guys too often these days and don't agree with it, but I am still a supporter for women to continue to enjoy the opportunities they've been given - lest they don't abuse the equality they fought for and make a mockery of it all by insisting on full female dominance. Aside from our western society, though there's nothing my voice can do about it, support and hope for the best for women who are still oppressed.

• To me, feminism is the notion that women are people with something to contribute (just as men are people with something to contribute).

• Then the word feminism should not be used but rather Gender Equality.

• @Mrchadeo920 I use the real definition of feminism not the "popular" one because I'm an informed and critical person.

• Yeah, I am :) I support gender equality, meaning that I'm a feminist.

• How has feminism helped with gender equality?

• @Bards Oh, thank you, I hadn't noticed :)

• They changed the definition of rape to a forceable act of penetration of the vagina or anus. www.fbi.gov/.../new-rape-definition-frequently-asked-questions
      This conviently only applies to male rape victims who have been raped by men, and still does not acknowledge men who are raped by women, which according to the CDC is as likely as a woman being raped by a man. This compounded by the fact that a man who has sex with a women while she is intoxicated (whether or not she gave consent at that time, or him being intoxicated along with her) is considered rape if she decides to withdraw he consent after the fact. It is not rape if a woman has sex with a man who is intoxicated and does not give consent while she herself is sober, Amy schumer in fact was applauded when she mentioned doing this to a guy (to boost her confidence she claimed) thoughtcatalog.com/.../
      The National Organization for Women advocated for our current laws that default full or near full custody to mothers without consideration of the father (about 80% of all alimony/child support is payed by men).

• Yes, I am and guess what I'm not – a man-hater!! 😂

• 4|0
  • Oh gosh, if you're not a feminist, you don't believe in woman's rights. But if you believe in human rights but say you're not a feminist, its like saying "I'm a doctor for the skin, but not a dermatologist because I don't like the labels"

• Feminism is solving gender based bias for BOTH genders because we all have it s*** sometimes because of archaic rubbish social rules.

• I believe in equality and I don't label myself as a feminist.

• Saying feminist makes it sound more about women and nothing about men. To me equality for everyone is what human rights are.

• see i believe it is about equality though. yes the word seems counterproductive but what nobody ever thinks to contemplate is you can still be a group for equality and keep one perspective.

now is keeping only one perspective or making one more important counterproductive to an equality movement? is making that one perspective your perspective less noble? these are all things that are open for debate but they far from sully the ideas themselves, just people who only keep one perspective.

in order to believe in gender equality you have to believe in mens rights and womens rights. the most common term used for womens rights support is feminism. thus in an objective statement this word does correctly define part of you, even if the label isn't to your personal preference.

• @jjmarvin Even so I never follow groups. Same with I don't believe in god but I don't label myself as an atheist.

• Yeh feminist all day nigga

• Am I feminist by definition? Yes.
    Do I associate myself with modern feminism? No. By now it's pretty much been ruined by increasing numbers of extremists.

• Yeah I am (filler)