Is it illegal to take someone's shift at work without the permission of the manager?

Yesterday and today I took 2 people's hours at work without telling the manager. I just came in work as usual like it was my scheduled shift but it was not. I just took their hours because they couldn't work both days. Will I still get payed if I clocked when I taking their hours? Will I get in trouble?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes you will get docked you will need to speak to the manager and get permission.

Most Helpful Girl

• You may possibly get in trouble because you're technically supposed to get the "ok" from them because you don't want to be over hours as they have to pay you even more, and they may not have enough.

What Guys Said 1

• It could give your employer an insurance problem in case of work related accident

What Girls Said 4

• Some companies are very strict with their employees not going over their hours or overtime.
    so I'm not sure if u will get paid.
    The employees that couldn't make it should have told the supervisor.
    You should have let him know you're available to cover them.
    that's the professional way to do things.

• If you have arranged it privately and it's a common practice at your workplace to do so, no. You should still tell your manager so that you get paid for your work.

• Why wouldn't you tell anyone? I don't think that's allowed but I'm not sure if it's illegal

• you'll still get paid but in the future, let your manager know you plan on covering someone else's shift. If anything, the people who couldn't make it to work should be responsible of letting the manger know they're unavailable and that they've found someone to cover them.