Why isn't there a straight parade?

I know, I knwo, Lots of people will be like "Because straight people didn't go through all the hardships gay/trans/bi/lesbian people did." but, why can't I also be proud of being straight?

• yes there should be one
  • No there shouldn't. Their already self entitled enough
I find it funny that it's evenly split.

Most Helpful Guy

• I grew up being told that AMERICA was this great, AMAZING place, a 'Melting Pot' where all the best, of the best of the people, from around the world came to!! They came HERE, to be AMERICANS, because we were all different, but united, and ONE NATION!!
    WTF happened? When did we become a thousand special-interest groups, all wanting LEGAL TITLE to be DIFFERENT!! WE ARE AMERICANS, AND BY DEFINITION, WE ARE DIFFERENT, BUT WE ARE UNITED IN THOSE DIFFERENCES!!
    There is SOOOOOO much bickering, arguing, and name-calling, racism, just stupid nonsense, how can we be a respectable NATION, when we act like selfish children, all wanting the ball?
    Native-American, African-American, Mexican-American, WTF happened to coming here, to the 'LAND OF LIBERTY' and BECOMING an AMERICAN? My great-grandparents came here, not speaking English, from Scandinavia, and they got jobs, they learned to speak English, and they became part of this AMAZING, NEW, UNIQUE NATION!! THEY BECAME AMERICANS!! They held on to some of their culture from the 'old country', but they became part of something new, something NOBODY DID BEFORE!!
    Why do all these groups need to have parades? What are you still fighting for? The courts have ruled that same-sex couples can marry, so you won!! Do you still need to have a parade? How can that be acceptable when the Nazi skin-heads parade, and that is somehow wrong? I'M NOT AT ALL A SUPPORTER OF THEM, so don't flame me, but if gays can have parades, why do the Nazi's get busted, and shut down?
    Freedom of speech is absolute!! If you want the right to say what you think, you must agree to, and fight for the right of the ones that you abhor, and HATE, as they have the same rights as you!!
    I don't agree, maybe you don't, but if you want to be free to say what you think, feel, and parade, you ABSOLUTELY MUST accept their right to say what you HATE!!
    Or we aren't equal, we don't have freedom, we have CENSORSHIP and a Fascist government, by the people, for some. . .
    What a wonderful world it would be, if we respected each other, and understood each other, and didn't persecute and kill those that weren't like us!! Is that 'Enlightenment' that the Buddists seek?

• "Why do all these groups need to have parades? What are you still fighting for? The courts have ruled that same-sex couples can marry, so you won!!"

If only it were that simple. No. They have not "won" until every gay kid that comes out to their family is accepted with love and support rather than rejection and ridicule. Gaining the right to marry was a huge success, but it's not the be all end all of gay rights. Statistically, gay men are at a higher risk of unprovoked assault than straight men, because of their sexual identity. Gay teenagers make up a disproportionate number of homeless youth. And so on.

"if gays can have parades, why do the Nazi's get busted, and shut down?"

Because gays having a parade are doing it to say "we're here! This is who we are! Please accept us as we are! We're not hurtin' anybody!" whereas Nazi skin-heads having a rally or a parade are doing it specifically to promote hatred against other groups. They ARE hurting others.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not about being proud of your sexual orientation, it's about not having to hide it.

As a straight person, you have never had to hide your sexual identity in order to avoid persecution.

As a straight person, you never had to announce your sexual orientation to your family, friends and peers, and do not have to repeatedly announce your sexual orientation throughout your life as you meet new people.

As a straight person, you get to enjoy the benefits of having your actual sexual orientation be assumed by default each time you meet a new person, rather than having to explain it or talk about it at all.

As a straight person, virtually all studies about human behaviour, relationships, health, etc., are reflective of your experience and are applicable to your life.

As a straight person, the majority of people who you see on television and in film are reflective of your sexual orientation and identity.

As a straight person, people automatically accept your sexual identity and orientation, without question, without prejudice.

As a straight person, people automatically assume that you are telling the truth when you tell them your sexual orientation/identity, and they automatically assume that you did not choose your sexual orientation/identity, but that it is the way you were born.

What Guys Said 17

• you might as well say there should be a white entertainment network because their is a black entertainment network. same arguments apply.

• You can, but I think a lot of the reason the gay parade is celebrated for being gay is because it's still a taboo to many so they are trying to build moral, acceptance and recognition.

• The gay pride parade is about having a minority getting attention and make people realize that they should get the same rights and that sorta thing. (I'm really tired so I have no idea if any of this made sense)
    Straight people are not a minority, so I don't think there is much use.

• I think gay pride events are more of a "we're different and proud". If there was a straight pride it wouldn't make much sense.

• Because everyday is a straight parade.

• If you really want to go on a straight pride parade then go ahead but it's the most pointless and ridiculous thing ever and you will look like a fool.

• thats so creepy, i actually have

• Told you ;)

• The existence of the human race is our straight parade, Asker.

• You can't get killed for being straight. It's disrespectful.

• You could totally organize one if you wanted to.

• Yeah cuz apparently its politically incorrect to be proud of being a straight, white male.

• You really think parade is for the pride?

• there should be, they are supposed to be for equality right? so what right would they have to complain

• Was going to vote B until I saw this gem: Their already self entitled enough.

Good old passive aggressiveness

• There shouldn't be any parades in my opinion.

• Totally start one! For real! I like pussy and I'm proud of it!

• I don't know. People make a bigger deal than necessary, including those "gay/lesbians/trans/bi" people.

• Because the agenda is to brainwash people to not be straight. The media wants men against women. Blacks against whites. Rich against poor.

What Girls Said 6

• What purpose would that serve apart from making you look angry at gay people?

• yeah, but WHY would it make you look angry at gay people? Their proud of being gay. so why can't you be proud of being straight? thats like saying that a banana lover can be proud of loving bananas but a cherry lover can't be proud of loving cherries... don't judge the analogy

• Because being straight is not something that causes a person's family to disown them, that precludes someone from certain roles in their religious institutions, that until recently barred someone from being able to get married, that is reacted to with disgust and shame... and so on.

Straightness is the default in our society and the automatic assumption people make about others' identity unless and until told otherwise. Being straight is the accepted norm and no one has to fight and argue to have other people accept that they are straight and believe them that they were born that way. Straight kids' parents don't send them to torturous "conversion therapy" to try to force them to become something they're not.

• You can... but the only reason why people would do that is to respond to gay pride parades, not because they actually feel that damn proud of being straight. It just wouldn't come off well.

• You have a point.

• Being straight is seen as normal. These parades are not meant to show off.

• your just showing your proud of being straight just like a gay person is proud of being gay. Is there something wrong with being proud that your gay? no there isn't. so there shouldn't be anything wrong with saying that your not ashamed to be different to gay people and be straight.

• With the exception of gay parades, every single g flippin parade is a straight parade.

• Yes let's have a straight parade! Let's also have a black parade, and a white parade, and a parade for blondes, a parade for brunettes, one for the redheads, a parade for engineers and a parade for mcdonalds workers.. Soon every day, will be about celebrating someone, because surely everyone should have a parade!

• ... I know this was meant to be a really sarcastic comment but that would be kind of awesome. I mean think about it, everyone being celebrated all the time! And so many parades! The only con I can see is traffic...