Who is the greatest general of all time?

• Alexander the Great
  • Gustavus Adolphus
  • Napoleon Bonaparte
  • George Washington
  • Dwight D Eisenhower
  • Leonidas
  • Other (Please comment)

Most Helpful Girl

• I study Classics, so I actually studied Alexander the Great. He's not necessarily the best general because a lot of his battle wins are luck or people submitting to him because he's nicer when people just give up, also he's kinda a dick and only gets more dickish as time goes on buuuut he's my homeboy, so I have to choose him <3

Most Helpful Guy

• Alexander the Great was the greatest.
    He was undefeated despite usually being outnumbered and fighting on enemy soil and conquered the greatest empire there ever was at the time. He pushed the boundaries of what was possible and was pretty much unbeatable. His legacy shaped the region for centuries afterwards.

Napoleon was hugely charismatic and brilliant but he did lose twice. I don't know too much about Adolphus but from what I do know, he doesn't make the top 3 in my opinion.

Leonidas' one famous battle ended with his death so I think that rules him out. Washington and Eisenhower shouldn't make this list in my opinion. If they do, why not Rommel, Georgy Zhukov, Bernard Montgomery or von Manstein?

People who I think should've made the list are Genghis Kan (created the largest land empire ever), Hannibal Barca (terrified the Roman Empire), Khalid ibn al-Walid (also undefeated) and possibly Alexander Suvorov (also undefeated though I don't know too much about him).

Sources: a mixture of online and my own nerdish hobbies)

• I just put the first generals that came into my head, this isn't a ranking of them. Adolphus is widely considered one of the best generals by historians. He was undefeated even in the battle he died in, snd he is considered by some to be the father of modern war tactics. Why not Washington and Eisenhower? Washington took an unprofessional army and defeated one of the most powerful empires of all time. And Eisenhower led the allies to victory over the Nazis. I'm just curious why you don't think they should be there. Yes, the ones you said have merit but like i said this isn't a ranking

• I wish I could've added more, but they only have an 8 selection limit on polls

• I know. I found a top 100 list on a military history forum. GaG isn't really good for specialist subjects (history, politics, etc.)

What Girls Said 4

• Alexander The Great is obviously one of the best leaders in the history of the world. But Leonidas was a great leader, also. He made his whole army like a big family, was a fearless leader, and had amazing strategies. Have to vote for him.

• I voted for Leonidas but only because I love the Belgian chocolatier Leonidas.

• David the Builder

• alexander!

What Guys Said 13

• William Slim

www.quotationof.com/images/william-slim-6.jpg

Led the British Eastern army which effectively stopped Japanese expansion into Burma, The man was absolutely adored by his troops for being so caring. (When he took over, Most of his troops were dying of starvation / malaria, And by the end of the war they were one of the strongest forces in the east).

• 0|1
  • Hannibal should be up there.

• I forgot about Hannibal. I don't know how. It's this reason I put the other, because there are so many to choose from and the website only allows 8 poll choices

• So many awesome generals up there! I love Spartan culture though so I'd say Leonidus. I dont think you can beat a lifetime of military training.

• Napoleon, if only he promised to free the serfs in Russia than he would've won.
    That and his insomnia really took a toll on him.

RIP Monsieur Bonaparte

• I'm voting G - Sun Tzu... read his Art of War... brilliant, to the point that a lot of the strategies can be used in everyday life and business, too

• Ghengis Kahn?

• other. Sun Tzu he is on par with alexander for me

• George Patton

• The duke of Wellington

• Washington

• Julius Caesar!

• Absalom Jones of course.

• From 'Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven' by Mark Twain:

"clodhoppers from goodness knows where that never handled a sword or fired a shot in their lives—but the soldiership was in them, though they never had a chance to show it. But here they take their right place, and C├Žsar and Napoleon and Alexander have to take a back seat. The greatest military genius our world ever produced was a brick-layer from somewhere back of Boston—died during the Revolution—by the name of Absalom Jones. Wherever he goes, crowds flock to see him. You see, everybody knows that if he had had a chance he would have shown the world some generalship that would have made all generalship before look like child’s play and ’prentice work. But he never got a chance; he tried heaps of times to enlist as a private, but he had lost both thumbs and a couple of front teeth, and the recruiting sergeant wouldn’t pass him. However, as I say, everybody knows, now, what he would have been"